Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 10

3 weeks to get into good shape

I had back surgery in December and have had to slowly work myself back into a PT program. Well, I have an important PT test (non-military) in 21 days. I'd like to drop 10 pounds in the process. What say you, experts? What intense training can I do to assure myself a passing grade?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 9

Re: 3 weeks to get into good shape

I'm sure the personal training type could get you more but Insanity may do the trick. That seems like it may be too much for your back though especially with the jumping and plank work

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,474
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 25

. P21X

Starter
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 770
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

What sort of physical fitness regimen are you on now? What about your diet now?

If I were in your shoes, I'd be doing 5-6 days of cardio a week (since your back is questionable, something low impact like biking, elliptical), and making sure you're eating right (lots of lean protein, cut out junk food). Drink lots of water, take a multivitamin and maybe a fish oil supplement.

If you're a drinker, lay off the sauce for the next few weeks. It's amazing how quickly booze calories can add up and how alcohol can negatively affect your metabolism and testosterone levels.

Starter
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 770
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

Also, conventional wisdom says that 1 pound of body fat contains 3500 calories. To lose 10 pounds in 21 days:

35,000 calories / 21 days = 1666.67 calories per day that need to be burned.

In other words, your combined diet and exercise needs to put you at a 1666.67 calorie defecit per day (you're burning that much more than you consume).

An average man should have a basal metabolic rate in the range of 2000-2500 calories per day (that's just calories that your body uses to stay warm and run itself without any other exercise). So, if you're on the high end of that, only consume 1500 calories per day in food and burn ~600 per day in exercise.

Seems like a bit much, but keep in mind that everyone's body is different and reacts to changes in diet and exercise differently.

Legend
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 60

What does your PT test consist of? That will highly determine what types of training you should do. As you should be training fairly specific to what you will be doing.

If your back is bothering you and causing a lot of pain, typically the best thing would be some type of water workouts/swimming etc. However, I doubt your PT test consists of that??

High intensity interval training is probably the best. Sprinting up hills, jogging back down, sprinting back up, jogging back down, etc. Interval training will also NOT negatively effect your muscular strength, like long slow distance running will. Long distance running also doesn't shed the fat as well as high intensity interval training does. The key to interval training is to make sure that you're going 100% on your sprints, or whatever it is you choose to do.

If you MUST do long distance running, I would suggest jogging on grass to help save your joints and back.

Also, to help strengthen your back and keep the pain down, make sure your entire core is balanced, not just your abs or back. And keep your hip flexors and hamstrings flexible.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 10

The test is push-ups, sit-ups, sit, sit and reach and 1.5 mile run. My 2 concerns are the run and sit and reach. I'm like 10 inches away on the sit and reach. I had low-back surgery, so I've lost my flexibility. As far as the run goes, I think I can do enough in that short amount of time to pass. Eating is my biggest concern, but now that I have proper motivation, I can find it in me to eat less.

Legend
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 60

Quote Originally Posted by Stewo View Post
    The test is push-ups, sit-ups, sit, sit and reach and 1.5 mile run. My 2 concerns are the run and sit and reach. I'm like 10 inches away on the sit and reach. I had low-back surgery, so I've lost my flexibility. As far as the run goes, I think I can do enough in that short amount of time to pass. Eating is my biggest concern, but now that I have proper motivation, I can find it in me to eat less.
    As far as the flexibility, use a foam roller on your hamstrings and up & down your back, before you stretch. The foam roller will soften up and loosen your muscles, then when you stretch you can really get a good stretch. Really focus on your hamstrings and glutes for the sit reach. I'm not sure how bulky you are, but your shoulder flexibility is just as important. Stretch 2-3x per day.

For the 1.5 mile run, I'd mix in some interval training (that varies) and a tiny bit of distance runs (once a week or so) just to see what your time is. Do something like 400s under a certain time, and then jog 200m and repeat however many times you feel necessary. On another day do 200's and then jog 100m and repeat. And then do 100's and then jog 50-100m and repeat. And also do some hill sprints in intervals.
    I was training a 1 mile runner in HS over the winter and that's kind of what we did. All interval training, mostly on hills/incline for 90% of his runs no matter what distance. He set a new personal best time in his first meet out by like 20 seconds.

As far as diet goes, I really wouldn't worry about what you eat (assuming you aren't eating fast food every meal) as much as when you eat and moderation. Eating meals spread throughout the day is much better at keeping your metabolism going than eating smaller meals 2-3 times/day.
    I.E. nice breakfast when you wake up.
    Decent snack a couple hours later.
    Lunch.
    Decent snack a little later.
    Dinner.
    Small snack before bed.
    This will keep your metabolism going and the calories burning. It will also do a better job at feeding your hungry muscles and giving you enough energy to complete very tough workouts.
    If you starve yourself by taking in very little calories, you won't have the energy (physically or mentally) to get good training sessions in and your recovery will lag. If your training sessions suck, so will your performance when it comes time to perform.

Last edited by cyclonedave25; 04-06-2012 at 08:33 PM.
    When Prepared, Fear No One.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 33

I support what dave said.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 461
    Given: 239

Having had back surgery before, I would say you want to start with your core, or you are going to have to trouble with the rest. Once that is strong enough to give solid support to your back, the rest should fall into place.

Addict
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 766
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 37

Do a 10 day cleanse from Advocare. Did it a couple years ago and lost over 11 pounds in 10 days. I don't sell it but I **** it out!

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Starter
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 378
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 11

My wife goes to Ames Raquet and Fitness and her PT also tells her to get plenty of sleep and that along with exercise and diet helped with weight loss.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,176
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

ok so my recocomendations since I know what you are going through..

first of all..
    1. Stretch everyday this alone will help a lot
    2. for me, I used the oliptical machine go for at least 40 mins it's less strenuous on the back, knees, shins ect
    3. idk who said it but def keep in count with your calories and do your best
    to limit bad calories (pop, beer....ect)
    4. not trying to toot my own horn since I got blown up last time and it wouldn't get there in time anyway but.. if you want a good diet to follow as well as some
    vitamins to help... http://www.advocare.com/11108235 go here and look at the 25 day challenge.. it works as long as you follow it
    5. don't overkill it's you only have 21 days do not burn yourself out practice the test a couple times but once you get within five days I would say stretching and hydrating will be the most important

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,176
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by wartknight View Post
    Do a 10 day cleanse from Advocare. Did it a couple years ago and lost over 11 pounds in 10 days. I don't sell it but I **** it out!
    lol see! the 25 day challenge comes with the cleanse

(one suggestion if you get it.. for the fiber drink.. use OJ not water)

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by aute19 View Post
    What sort of physical fitness regimen are you on now? What about your diet now?

If I were in your shoes, I'd be doing 5-6 days of cardio a week (since your back is questionable, something low impact like biking, elliptical), and making sure you're eating right (lots of lean protein, cut out junk food). Drink lots of water, take a multivitamin and maybe a fish oil supplement.

If you're a drinker, lay off the sauce for the next few weeks. It's amazing how quickly booze calories can add up and how alcohol can negatively affect your metabolism and testosterone levels.
    Agree with laying off the sauce. As much as it pains me, I had to give it up for awhile myself to lose some serious poundage... I started in January, was doing well, started having a single beer a night (albeit a damn good beer, definitely not light) and all hell broke loose again. Finally got back to it a few weeks later with no beer, and seeing great improvements. I'm down 21 lbs in 3 weeks (but I have a lot more than 10 lbs to lose).