Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 349,305, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,872
    Points
    349,305
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 843
    Given: 106

    Mark Cuban on 1 and dones

    I know some may not like Cuban's arrogance or how he carries himself but I love him. He is a fan who made enough money to buy a team and he did it. Not only that but he forms his own ideas, publicly states them and doesn't care what Stern or anyone else says no matter the topic. That's not to mention he has some business sense.

    Dallas Mavericks' Mark Cuban -- Make players stay 3 years in NCAA - ESPN Dallas


    It's all snark from here on out

  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 40,003, Level: 61
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 347
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cyhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,916
    Points
    40,003
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 11

    Re: Mark Cuban on 1 and dones

    I just disagree. It's not the kid's fault. It's completely the NBA teams' fault. If you will pay me several million dollars to do a job i'm not capable of doing, I'll certainly still accept your offer. How about the NBA teams become much more selective and not force "rules" on these kids. I know I was allowed to leave college and take any lucrative job offer I wanted. Regardless of scholarships.


    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"

  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 38,368, Level: 60
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 682
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,335
    Points
    38,368
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 25

    Re: Mark Cuban on 1 and dones

    Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    I know some may not like Cuban's arrogance or how he carries himself but I love him. He is a fan who made enough money to buy a team and he did it. Not only that but he forms his own ideas, publicly states them and doesn't care what Stern or anyone else says no matter the topic. That's not to mention he has some business sense.

    Dallas Mavericks' Mark Cuban -- Make players stay 3 years in NCAA - ESPN Dallas
    MLB Baseball prospects are courted as 17 years olds in this country and recruited from slums in the caribbean countries.

    NHL prospects? same thing....sans the slums in the caribbean part



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 148,453, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Judoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    11,503
    Points
    148,453
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 846
    Given: 1,000

    Re: Mark Cuban on 1 and dones

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyhart View Post
    I just disagree. It's not the kid's fault. It's completely the NBA teams' fault. If you will pay me several million dollars to do a job i'm not capable of doing, I'll certainly still accept your offer. How about the NBA teams become much more selective and not force "rules" on these kids. I know I was allowed to leave college and take any lucrative job offer I wanted. Regardless of scholarships.
    He's just mad that the one and done rule means that he has to draft and pay guys who are still big question marks. Forcing kids to stay three years would help NBA owners weed out guys who would otherwise be busts.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 740,872, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    49,909
    Points
    740,872
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,716
    Given: 1,233

    Re: Mark Cuban on 1 and dones

    People seem to think that the NBA adding requirements takes away some kind of right from players. It doesn't. I think they would get more mature players who have proven themselves against good competition. Not to mention that some of those who don't stick would have (under his plan) another year or so of college to finish and enter the regular world.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 284,348, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    16,883
    Points
    284,348
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 365
    Given: 55

    Re: Mark Cuban on 1 and dones

    I think making a high school kid go to any amount of college is dumb. If they want to go, let them go.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 425,928, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    22,000
    Points
    425,928
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 997
    Given: 523

    Re: Mark Cuban on 1 and dones

    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    I think making a high school kid go to any amount of college is dumb. If they want to go, let them go.
    Let them go if they want to go right away. But if they want to go to school, make them stay 3 years.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 284,348, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    16,883
    Points
    284,348
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 365
    Given: 55

    Re: Mark Cuban on 1 and dones

    Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    Let them go if they want to go right away. But if they want to go to school, make them stay 3 years.
    That's fine with me but I think we'd have to settle for 2 years. I don't see the NBAPA going along with 3 years.



  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 11,101, Level: 31
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 149
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Clonedogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    CR, IA
    Posts
    824
    Points
    11,101
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 36

    Re: Mark Cuban on 1 and dones

    Quote Originally Posted by Jambalaya View Post
    MLB Baseball prospects are courted as 17 years olds in this country and recruited from slums in the caribbean countries.

    NHL prospects? same thing....sans the slums in the caribbean part
    The problem w/ the MLB argument is, MLB has minor leagues and can develop players. The D-league is not anything close to the minor leagues. MLB farm systems are owned by the major league teams, it is in their interest to develop those young players. The D-league has player w/ contracts from various franchises on one team and some free agents, its organized pick-up ball, everyone for themselves.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 66,418, Level: 79
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,434
    Points
    66,418
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 306
    Given: 64

    Re: Mark Cuban on 1 and dones

    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    I think making a high school kid go to any amount of college is dumb. If they want to go, let them go.
    I don't get this argument at all. Who is making them go to college? The D-League takes high schoolers now, plus they can always play overseas. There are plenty of options for players who don't want to go to college.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 66,418, Level: 79
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,434
    Points
    66,418
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 306
    Given: 64

    Re: Mark Cuban on 1 and dones

    Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    Let them go if they want to go right away. But if they want to go to school, make them stay 3 years.
    The NBA will never go back to letting guys go in right out of high school. The one and done rule has worked great for them, two years would be even better for them, but they won't go back to letting high schoolers enter the league.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 284,348, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    16,883
    Points
    284,348
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 365
    Given: 55

    Re: Mark Cuban on 1 and dones

    Quote Originally Posted by CyJack13 View Post
    I don't get this argument at all. Who is making them go to college? The D-League takes high schoolers now, plus they can always play overseas. There are plenty of options for players who don't want to go to college.
    Why shouldn't they be able to go straight to the NBA?



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 66,418, Level: 79
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,434
    Points
    66,418
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 306
    Given: 64

    Re: Mark Cuban on 1 and dones

    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    Why shouldn't they be able to go straight to the NBA?
    Because it's not in the league's best interest.



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 59,461, Level: 75
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 589
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Goothrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    3,398
    Points
    59,461
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 228
    Given: 42

    Re: Mark Cuban on 1 and dones

    Quote Originally Posted by CyJack13 View Post
    Because it's not in the league's best interest.
    Having guys in the league like LeBron and Kobe isn't in the league's best interest? I don't see how them not being able to go into the league straight out of high school is beneficial to either party.


    Rip 'n Shred - Shred 'n Rip

    Check out my ratings site!

  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 148,453, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Judoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    11,503
    Points
    148,453
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 846
    Given: 1,000

    Re: Mark Cuban on 1 and dones

    Quote Originally Posted by Goothrey View Post
    Having guys in the league like LeBron and Kobe isn't in the league's best interest? I don't see how them not being able to go into the league straight out of high school is beneficial to either party.
    Because it weeds out guys who would otherwise be very expensive busts. The longer a kid is in college the more accurate a read the pro teams can get on his skills and talent. I'm sure they'd love it even more if guys had to play the full four years before going pro.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: ESPN
  • Iowa State @ Kansas
  • February 2, 2015
  • 08:00 PM