Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

kindle books

It seems I have been having a lot of downtime at work lately waiting on others to get their ducks in a row, so I have taken up reading. what are some good kindle books or other ebooks I can somehow get onto my Android to read? I want kindle books because I often work at locations that are tough to get to and I can't bring much with me, so carrying an actual book is not an option.

things I like: Chicago bears, ISU, football in general, science (especially genetics, biology, evolution), history, military. I generally like nonfiction but I am open to any suggestions

the last one I read was 'american sniper' by Chris Kyle and it was really good, so yall check that out if you are looking for something new.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 554

Pro
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

Re: kindle books

Quote Originally Posted by illinoiscyclone View Post
    It seems I have been having a lot of downtime at work lately waiting on others to get their ducks in a row, so I have taken up reading. what are some good kindle books or other ebooks I can somehow get onto my Android to read? I want kindle books because I often work at locations that are tough to get to and I can't bring much with me, so carrying an actual book is not an option.

things I like: Chicago bears, ISU, football in general, science (especially genetics, biology, evolution), history, military. I generally like nonfiction but I am open to any suggestions

the last one I read was 'american sniper' by Chris Kyle and it was really good, so yall check that out if you are looking for something new.
    Moneyball, Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose, Hunger Games.

--Luck of the Cyrish--

Pro
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,251
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 27

I'm enjoying the Game of Thrones series. Don't know if it's your thing but there is lots of blood, fighting, and other naughty stuff.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 41

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,289
    Given: 1,120

Any particular area of history? I can test the limits of a post with a list if you like

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Starter
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 38

...science (especially genetics, biology, evolution), ...
    I'm in the middle of the Robert Ludlum Covert One Series of books that have plots involving terrorists and biological warfare. I know they are kind of old, but I just discovered them and really like them. They follow a main character John Smith who works for a secret US agency (Covert One) and finds himself called upone to protect the US against conspiracy's and bioterrorism. THe Ebooks are pretty cheap too

Rookie
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 835
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 44

As far as "getting Kindle books onto your Android", it's as simple as installing the Android Kindle app.

Woody...TOUCHDOWN! THEY DID IT!

Legend
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 354
    Given: 226

I'm reading 'Brave Dragons' by Jim Yardley right now. Pretty interesting book about the first former NBA coach to coach a Chinese professional basketball team.

Also, if you like historical non-fiction I highly reccomend you check out Erik Larson if you haven't already. His books are pretty meticulously researched, but read more like a novel than some non-fiction that can get really dry. I've read Devil in the White City (half true crime novel, half interesting look at American society during an era that doesn't really get talked about that much) and In the Garden of Beasts (true story of the American ambassador to Germany and his daughter during Hitler's rise to power). He has a couple other books that are on my list to get to as well.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,185
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19

Ken Follet's "Pillars of the Earth" and its sequel "World Without End" are simply fantastic books. They are historical fiction, and the story centers around the building of a cathedral in 11th century England. While that setting may not sound all that scintillating, trust me, both books are major page-turners...you just can't stop reading them once you start. Follett is a genius and his books are gritty, gripping and you will be upset when you finish them....the characters just grab hold of you.

If you're more into an ancient setting, similar genre, try Colleen McCullough's "First Man in Rome" series. Starts off around 105 BC with the exploits of Gaius Marius and the political struggles of the slowly dying Republic...and carries on through the death of Caesar (over the course of 5 or 6 LONG novels). Great read as well with very well drawn characters...great political intrigue stuff as well.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,099
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 315

I received the Steven King book, "11/22/63" on Monday. It's almost 800 pages and I'll probaby have it finished tomorrow.

I've never read any of his stuff before, he always seemed too weird for my taste, but I am engrossed in it.

It's another "time travel/rabbit hole" scenario. Which I have a distinct weakness for, and fictionalized, of course, but it definitely seems right on with it's cultural touch points and will keep your interest, for sure.

No matter what, I could NEVER cheer for Dirt and Urine.