Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 233

RV vacation

Have any of you rented a motor coach or pull-behind to take the family on vacation? I'm looking for any insight, tips, warnings, etc.

We are looking at a trip with my wife and 8-year old son from Ankeny to the Black Hills. A to Z has a 27 foot RV for rent for $1,050 for seven days. $.20/miile and 8-10 mpg. I figure these figures puts me at $2,100.

What I don't know is the cost of RV parks vs ??? For those of you that have done this, or have your own and do it often. Do you get a hotel one or more nights? Any recommendations on a trip to Black Hills?

(I looked into a pull-behind my Sierra as well. $685 for the week. The only issue I have with this is that my son hates riding in a vehicle. I thought with the RV it might alleviate that issue. He also hates flying. So this seems to be the best way to take an extended vacation.)

Recruit
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

Re: RV vacation

Our family is planning a return trip to the Black Hills this summer. We own a 5th wheel trailer that we will take out there.

There are many lodging options in the Black Hills. Many of the campgrounds also have cabin rental, so you can get that outdoors feel without a camper.

What I've seen for pricing for campsites are in the $40-60/night range. Cabin rates are $90-120/night.

One major drawback to the motorhome rental is that when you want to go sight-see you only have one vehicle to drive, meaning you have to break camp every time you want to go somewhere. Also there are some scenic roads with tunnels that have width and height restrictions that a motorhome won't fit through very easily.

The trailer makes some sense because you can leave it at camp, but remember that when you pull that out there you are going to get about 60% of the gas mileage you would normally get. Add that to the cost of the rental and I think you would be money ahead just renting a cabin.

I didn't address the son/vehicle problem, but what if you left early morning/late evening and get some sleep time for him in the equation? (I have 2 young kids and am considering this approach.) Hope this helps.

Pro
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 357
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 261
    Given: 505

clonedmax is giving you some good information.
    When do you plan on going to the Black Hills? Rmember the Sturgis bike rally is the first week of August so the prices are all jacked up as well as the huge glut of people that will be there.

They say country music speaks to the heart. Unfortunately, it has to go through your ears to get there.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,223
    Given: 2,306

Quote Originally Posted by clonedmax View Post
    Also there are some scenic roads with tunnels that have width and height restrictions that a motorhome won't fit through very easily.
    This is why I was going to suggest a RoadTrek, but unfortunately I don't think you can rent one in Iowa. They will fit pretty much anywhere a full size van will.

I am not clear if they rent these or only sell them...

Winnebago Era Motor Home Class B - Diesel | Era RV for Sale | Iowa (IA)

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks guys! I didn't even think about Sturgis, so early July it may be. I have a class 'B' CDL and drive dump truck for "fun" for a friend, so I'm comfortable driving vehicles like these in tight areas. I'm wondering if a 10' clearance and 27' long would be an issue.

Velo, those are pretty cool, but they aren't even close to you...

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by stateofmind View Post
    Thanks guys! I didn't even think about Sturgis, so early July it may be. I have a class 'B' CDL and drive dump truck for "fun" for a friend, so I'm comfortable driving vehicles like these in tight areas. I'm wondering if a 10' clearance and 27' long would be an issue.

Velo, those are pretty cool, but they aren't even close to you...
    Quite right. I don't know if you can find a class B for rent anywhere near, but we borrowed one and did both Key West and Yellowstone on different occasions. It was awesome for traveling and awesome once we got there. It was really more like driving a full size van than a motorhome which was really nice at places like the Upper Terrace Drive at Mammoth in Yellowstone. We could take the narrow road while no other motorhomes or trailers were allowed.

Note the restrictions on the Needles Highway in this article.

Rules of the Road

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,014
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 125

I would personally go with the trailer. It has the same amount of room plus the versatility of leaving camp without having to pack up. You could get a tow bar and haul your car behind, but you will get even less gas mileage, plus you have to maneuver your rv(which can be a handful0 plus the car. We have a 10' pop up and while not as comfy as a full rv or 5th wheel, we have a lot of fun in it and still feel like we are camping, but are still far more comfortable then actually camping. For about double what you are going to pay to rent an rv, you could buy a descent used pop up.

Starter
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 111

An RV vacation is a journey not a destination.

Plan extra time during the drive to stop and explore things.

Considering adding an extra day to the drive and turn it into an adventure the whole family can participate in instead of a marathon torture session.

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 104

Can people ride in a trailer while it is traveling? I though I heard that you could as long as there is communication between the truck and trailer...but I could be way off base as well..

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
    An RV vacation is a journey not a destination.

Plan extra time during the drive to stop and explore things.

Considering adding an extra day to the drive and turn it into an adventure the whole family can participate in instead of a marathon torture session.

Badlands is a must stop even if it is just for a few hours. Mitchell's corn palace is fun even if it is a little corny (see what I did there). Speaking of corny, swing by Wall Drug after the Badlands. The Air Museum at the Airbase on the way into Rapids City is pretty cool if you are so inclined. Also your little guy must get his picture taken with the dinosaurs on the ridge overlooking RC. Crazy Horse, Rushmore, Custer SP, caves, Devil's Tower...man I wish I was going.

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot Hot Springs. Your little guy would probably love that.
    http://www.mammothsite.com/

Rookie
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cyhawkdmb View Post
    Can people ride in a trailer while it is traveling? I though I heard that you could as long as there is communication between the truck and trailer...but I could be way off base as well..
    Some states do allow this. Iowa is one of them. I discovered this last year when we bought our fifth wheel and was really surprised. Personally, I wouldn't do it. It wouldn't be very comfortable with the slides in and no climate control. Doesn't really seem safe either.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum05 View Post
    Some states do allow this. Iowa is one of them. I discovered this last year when we bought our fifth wheel and was really surprised. Personally, I wouldn't do it. It wouldn't be very comfortable with the slides in and no climate control. Doesn't really seem safe either.
    That's because it isn't. I wouldn't either.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I've ridden in a trailer when a group of us guys went to Pocono for a race. The worst, is the ride. Safety is never a concern for me. We are now thinking about a shorter trip, like to St. Louis to see how it goes. Next year do the badlands and black hills. Velo, you are welcome to come. But I'm doing this in lieu of RAGBRAI, so I know that's not an option for you.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 505

Lichtsinn rents RVs and trailers, and is a Winnebago dealer. I do not know if they have ERAs (or other Class B/conversion vans) for rent.