Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 269,339, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isuno1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    17,452
    Points
    269,339
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 19

    If you never knew where cashew nuts come from....

    Now you do....I just learned this tonight. Apparently that is called a cashew apple, but the apple is actually a "false fruit"....the nut is on the bottom. Weird stuff.




  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 52,679, Level: 71
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,371
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Ry4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,150
    Points
    52,679
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 3

    Re: If you never knew where cashew nuts come from....

    I actually knew that...There was a thread awhile ago talking about crazy things you would never know. Well this was one of the things



  3. #3
    CyBer
    Guest

    Re: If you never knew where cashew nuts come from....

    Yep knew that, but I bet you didn't know that the shells are so acidic that they can burn your skin off.



  4. #4
    Rookie
    Points: 17,776, Level: 40
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 274
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    TheEncore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    380
    Points
    17,776
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: If you never knew where cashew nuts come from....

    I did not know that.


    "Really Jail wouldn't be so bad (If he had CF)..I'd wake up-check Cyclone Fanatic and not have to go to work, so there's a plus" -MEClone

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 201,698, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    longtimeclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Up north
    Posts
    7,693
    Points
    201,698
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 26

    Re: If you never knew where cashew nuts come from....

    I didn't know any of this. I also learned that the fruit is edible and is actually made into a drink



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 269,339, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isuno1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    17,452
    Points
    269,339
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 19

    Re: If you never knew where cashew nuts come from....

    Quote Originally Posted by CyBer View Post
    Yep knew that, but I bet you didn't know that the shells are so acidic that they can burn your skin off.



  7. #7
    KFitzy87
    Guest

    Re: If you never knew where cashew nuts come from....

    Quote Originally Posted by CyBer View Post
    Yep knew that, but I bet you didn't know that the shells are so acidic that they can burn your skin off.
    Anthony Davis should get a shell and rub it in the middle of his caterpillar



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 269,339, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isuno1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    17,452
    Points
    269,339
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 19

    Re: If you never knew where cashew nuts come from....

    Quote Originally Posted by KFitzy87 View Post
    Anthony Davis should get a shell and rub it in the middle of his caterpillar
    Too much win right here



  9. #9
    CyBer
    Guest

    Re: If you never knew where cashew nuts come from....

    Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    I thought the same thing when I saw that on Modern Marvels, the workers have to use gloves in order to shell them/touch them.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 52,679, Level: 71
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,371
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Ry4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,150
    Points
    52,679
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 3

    Re: If you never knew where cashew nuts come from....

    Peanutes are essential to making dynomite! True fact



  11. #11
    Starter
    Points: 17,800, Level: 40
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Cyclone_Grav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    729
    Points
    17,800
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: If you never knew where cashew nuts come from....

    I served as a peace corps volunteer in Africa, did a lot of work with cashews. Here are some fun facts:

    - the "fruit" is actually the swollen terminal bud. The nut essentially acts as a plug, while the tree keeps sending nutrients and fluids to the bud. Fruit is very sweet but also will give untrained stomachs rampant diarrhea. Also can be processed into a potent liquor.
    -the seed's oil won't "burn" your skin off, but can cause skin irritation. Rubbing the seeds oil on toilet seats works as a fun joke!
    -cashew trees are considered a rapid growing tree, meaning within a year they can grow to over 2 meters tall and prduce fruit!

    For any other cashew related questions, go ahead and ask! The more you know!



  12. #12
    CyBer
    Guest

    Re: If you never knew where cashew nuts come from....

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Grav View Post
    I served as a peace corps volunteer in Africa, did a lot of work with cashews. Here are some fun facts:

    - the "fruit" is actually the swollen terminal bud. The nut essentially acts as a plug, while the tree keeps sending nutrients and fluids to the bud. Fruit is very sweet but also will give untrained stomachs rampant diarrhea. Also can be processed into a potent liquor.
    -the seed's oil won't "burn" your skin off, but can cause skin irritation. Rubbing the seeds oil on toilet seats works as a fun joke!
    -cashew trees are considered a rapid growing tree, meaning within a year they can grow to over 2 meters tall and prduce fruit!

    For any other cashew related questions, go ahead and ask! The more you know!
    That's how they described it on the history channel. DAMN YOU TV!



  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 17,800, Level: 40
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Cyclone_Grav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    729
    Points
    17,800
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: If you never knew where cashew nuts come from....

    Quote Originally Posted by CyBer View Post
    That's how they described it on the history channel. DAMN YOU TV!
    I guess everyone has different reactions to it. I handled themwith bare hands and never had a problem, but others I knew would wear gloves.

    However, on areas of sensitive skin, you could usually get a reaction, hence the ol' oil on the toilet seat trick!



  14. #14
    CyBer
    Guest

    Re: If you never knew where cashew nuts come from....

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Grav View Post
    I guess everyone has different reactions to it. I handled themwith bare hands and never had a problem, but others I knew would wear gloves.

    However, on areas of sensitive skin, you could usually get a reaction, hence the ol' oil on the toilet seat trick!
    I've heard the oil is a good body scrub.



  15. #15
    Rookie
    Points: 19,247, Level: 42
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 603
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Heilsqauvador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ames via Hampton
    Posts
    447
    Points
    19,247
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 12

    Re: If you never knew where cashew nuts come from....

    I'm reading this while eating cashews. Makes the experience more enjoyable



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM