Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

The one and done rule?

Do you think the one and done rule has hurt or helped basketball? Players like A.Davis, H.Barnes, P. Jones III, MKG, etc would have probably would have went to the NBA straight out of HS. It is nice to see these players in the college game, but do you think that now that these kids are available teams might try and circumvent the rules in an attempt to land them. Also, paying for these scholarships for these kids to play ball for one year, isn't what higher education is for. Would it make more sense for the kids to stay two years or eliminate the rule or keep it the same?

Rookie
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: The one and done rule?

Helped no doubt

All-Star
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 948
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

hurt and helped, you now have these teams like kentucky full of kids not really invested into the university because they know they're gone after a year. i think a baseball style rule would be better, you can go right out of high school but if you choose to attend college you have to stay at least 3 years

"Day after day, situation after situation you do things the right way. If you do things the right way, in life, you are going to be successful. I'm not just your football coach; I'm not just here to win games. I could not be prouder of who we are and who we are becoming, together. You do things right in the classroom, off and on the field; that's whats's makes us Cyclones and that's what our culture's all about."
    -Paul Rhoads

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 460
    Given: 213

Here is how it should be. If you are good enough to go pro, you can go pro out of HS. So players like LeBron, KG, Dwight Howard, ect can go and be superstars. However, if you elect to go to college, you are required to stay for 3 years. Just like baseball.

EDIT: BigM you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Prospect
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: The one and done rule?and

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoadhoused View Post
    Here is how it should be. If you are good enough to go pro, you can go pro out of HS. So players like LeBron, KG, Dwight Howard, ect can go and be superstars. However, if you elect to go to college, you are required to stay for 3 years. Just like baseball.

I like that idea. If you decide to attend college you have to stay a certain amount of time. I do think if you are good enough to make it pro, then you should go. But when these kids get bad advice and go pro and don't get drafted, that is where this rule helps these kids.

The thing that bothers me is that these kids who don't take education seriously (some) and go pro after a year of college and makes millions! ugh!

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 42

^I would like to see it similar to baseball too. Either you leave after HS or you have to wait 2 years. The way it currently is has watered down college basketball quite a bit IMO. Most, if not all the top programs are running with freshman and sophomores almost exclusively. Part of that is the 1 and done rule but part of that is the culture has changed. Players rarely stay anymore, probably because they are simply following the trend. Either way I would like to see something change. No offense to the KU team that played tonight but if that's the 2nd best team in college basketball then the sport isn't doing very well IMO. Some of the teams from KU past would beat this years team by 10-15 pts easily.

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 402
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

The one and done rule doesn't work. I think that there needs to be a rule that either A. Lets high school kids leave after high school. B. Makes them stay for 3 years in college. Or C. Reduce scholarship counts so each team has 10 scholarships.

If you make kids stay for three years other teams will get a chance at these great high school kids coming out of high school. Instead Kentucky will announce that 3 or 4 players are going to the NBA tomorrow and they will get the 3 top or top 15 kids that are uncommitted right now.

I know reducing the scholarship count doesn't really work either (injuries and what not) but it would be nice because it would allow other teams to have a chance with these other top recruits.

Addict
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 560
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 157
    Given: 367

Quote Originally Posted by daniel22 View Post
    Do you think the one and done rule has hurt or helped basketball? Players like A.Davis, H.Barnes, P. Jones III, MKG, etc would have probably would have went to the NBA straight out of HS. It is nice to see these players in the college game, but do you think that now that these kids are available teams might try and circumvent the rules in an attempt to land them. Also, paying for these scholarships for these kids to play ball for one year, isn't what higher education is for. Would it make more sense for the kids to stay two years or eliminate the rule or keep it the same?
    Since it's an NBA rule, it probably doesn't "solve" anything as far as separation between spirit of collegiate amateurism and "only goal is professional basketball."

(I'm not even sure that was "the goal" anyway. I don't claim to be an expert on the evolution of this).

A lot of different issues connected to the entire subject, such as (1) recruiting effects; (2) actual validity of players' potential at next level; (3) scholastic integrity; (4) Other.

Related article by Doyel on CBS.com although I agree with some points he makes, this doesn't necessarily reflect all of my opinions on the subject.

One-and-done? Wish that were the case with tiresome anti-Cal argument - NCAA Division I Mens Basketball - CBSSports.com News, Scores, Stats, Schedule and RPI Rankings

Starter
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 123
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 22

Why not let players come back to school at some (any) point and play out their eligibility? And keep four years of eligibilty the rule for only those that do choose to be paid to play? Let the "amateurs" continue to play on scholarship as long as the school is willing to provide one.

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 284
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 1

Both The NCAA & The NBA have said they want add something like this to the NBA CBA (their proposal is if you go to college, you have to stay 2 years), but the players association has repeatedly said no.

Starter
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post
    ^I would like to see it similar to baseball too. Either you leave after HS or you have to wait 2 years. The way it currently is has watered down college basketball quite a bit IMO. Most, if not all the top programs are running with freshman and sophomores almost exclusively. Part of that is the 1 and done rule but part of that is the culture has changed. Players rarely stay anymore, probably because they are simply following the trend. Either way I would like to see something change. No offense to the KU team that played tonight but if that's the 2nd best team in college basketball then the sport isn't doing very well IMO. Some of the teams from KU past would beat this years team by 10-15 pts easily.

So KU really messed your brackets up?

"To run this drill, Everyone line up in a circle, pair up in rows of three, alphabetically"

Starter
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 9

Was this Royce Whites first or second or third year of eligibility? Could he have went pro after sitting out a year at Minnesota? Or after sitting out a year at ISU? Or did he have to wait until now? Kind of a foggy situation, not?

Last edited by mkadl; 04-03-2012 at 06:39 AM.
    "To run this drill, Everyone line up in a circle, pair up in rows of three, alphabetically"

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,059
    Given: 558

That sounds like a good compromise to me.

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 639
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 37

Quote Originally Posted by mkadl View Post
    Was this Royce Whites first or second or third year of eligibility? Could he have went pro after sitting out a year at Minnesota? Or after sitting out a year at ISU? Or did he have to wait until now? Kind of a foggy situation, not?
    if he was playing baseball he could go pro, it is being removed from HS for 3 years / 3 academic years (not 3 years on the court).

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,259
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 96

Quote Originally Posted by mkadl View Post
    I believe it's the NBA's rule that you have to be 19. I don't think the rule says you have to go to college at all. Only that you have to be 19.