Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 91,083, Level: 93
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VTXCyRyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,089
    Points
    91,083
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 27

    Doomsday Preppers

    Anyone else see these crazy people on the National Geographic channel? The amount of money they waste on "prepping" for when **** hits the fan is unreal. People running the show should get them help not encouraging them



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 46,650, Level: 66
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 300
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Posts
    2,897
    Points
    46,650
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 14

    Re: Doomsday Preppers

    I watched an episode of this show earlier this week. Im pretty sure that many of these people could be diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia.


    This guys garden is awesome though....


    Last edited by MNclone; 03-31-2012 at 10:39 PM.

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 92,052, Level: 94
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,098
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acgclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,286
    Points
    92,052
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 6

    Re: Doomsday Preppers

    The show is pretty entertaining. I agree that these guys spending the amount of time, effort and money to get prepped is crazy.

    However, in the .001% chance that they are right and there is a SHTF scenario, I will be woefully unprepared.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 46,650, Level: 66
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 300
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Posts
    2,897
    Points
    46,650
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 14

    Re: Doomsday Preppers

    Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    The show is pretty entertaining. I agree that these guys spending the amount of time, effort and money to get prepped is crazy.

    However, in the .001% chance that they are right and there is a SHTF scenario, I will be woefully unprepared.
    If the world completely breaks down, do you really want to survive in a cave?



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 37,731, Level: 59
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ISU_phoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Andover, MN
    Posts
    1,854
    Points
    37,731
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Re: Doomsday Preppers

    I read a funny comment about this on leap day, earlier this year: Apparently leap year was "started" about 1800 years ago and without it, today would be somewhere in the middle of July, 2013.

    The Mayan calendar didn't account for leap year so according to that, the world should have ended many months ago.

    Wonder what the people on that show would say if they heard that.



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 583,515, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isulive2train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ciclón Nación
    Posts
    3,810
    Points
    583,515
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 33

    Re: Doomsday Preppers

    We are done for...stimulus package? COACHDAGS?!



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 155,405, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Cycl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North Liberty
    Posts
    6,496
    Points
    155,405
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 3

    Re: Doomsday Preppers

    Quote Originally Posted by ISU_phoria View Post
    I read a funny comment about this on leap day, earlier this year: Apparently leap year was "started" about 1800 years ago and without it, today would be somewhere in the middle of July, 2013.

    The Mayan calendar didn't account for leap year so according to that, the world should have ended many months ago.

    Wonder what the people on that show would say if they heard that.
    While true that the Mayan calender did not have a leap year, when converting the Mayan calender end to the Gegorian calender leap year is included in that process. The funny comment you read is actually incorrect.


    I LIEK CHOCOLATE MILK - The Partisan Bat

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Hmmm...I'm not a huge "weiner"
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    "Yeah, Chris' weiner is a way bigger get than mine."

  8. #8
    Hugs4ISU
    Guest

    Re: Doomsday Preppers

    Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    The show is pretty entertaining. I agree that these guys spending the amount of time, effort and money to get prepped is crazy.

    However, in the .001% chance that they are right and there is a SHTF scenario, I will be woefully unprepared.
    So will they.

    For anyone who really has thoughts along these lines, I encourage you to watch this show. It was made in 1978 or so, but it is every single bit as relevant today as it was when James Burke wrote it almost 35 years ago. He is a real genius.

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcSxL8GUn-g&list=PL79184D14F872B80D"]James Burke : Connections, Episode 1, "The Trigger Effect", 1 of 5 (CC) - YouTube[/ame]

    (YouTube limits videos to 10 minutes each, so you'd have to go to YouTube itself for the remaining parts)



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 26,061, Level: 49
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 489
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,031
    Points
    26,061
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 30

    Re: Doomsday Preppers

    Quote Originally Posted by ISU_phoria View Post
    I read a funny comment about this on leap day, earlier this year: Apparently leap year was "started" about 1800 years ago and without it, today would be somewhere in the middle of July, 2013.

    The Mayan calendar didn't account for leap year so according to that, the world should have ended many months ago.

    Wonder what the people on that show would say if they heard that.
    I don't think they're necessarily preparing for the Mayan calendar to bring the end of the world. They're preparing for anything and everything. I honestly can't say it's a bad idea, in moderation of course. If Iran nukes New York City and Washington DC, I wouldn't be too upset if I had a couple cans of green beans and shot gun shells stored in my basement.



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 33,849, Level: 56
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 401
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    farminclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,309
    Points
    33,849
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 1

    Re: Doomsday Preppers

    Quote Originally Posted by Dopey View Post
    I don't think they're necessarily preparing for the Mayan calendar to bring the end of the world. They're preparing for anything and everything. I honestly can't say it's a bad idea, in moderation of course. If Iran nukes New York City and Washington DC, I wouldn't be too upset if I had a couple cans of green beans and shot gun shells stored in my basement.
    I agree with that for the most part. And I also believe it is important to be ready for a natural disaster. Nothing wrong with having a tool kit, extra clothes/shoes, canned food, water, and a first aid kit in a certain area.

    These guys just take it to the extreme. They do this in more of a paranoid sense rather than common sense safety.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 92,052, Level: 94
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,098
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acgclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,286
    Points
    92,052
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 6

    Re: Doomsday Preppers

    Quote Originally Posted by farminclone View Post
    I agree with that for the most part. And I also believe it is important to be ready for a natural disaster. Nothing wrong with having a tool kit, extra clothes/shoes, canned food, water, and a first aid kit in a certain area.

    These guys just take it to the extreme. They do this in more of a paranoid sense rather than common sense safety.
    Ya, I keep a couple of cases of bottled water, and a small amount of stored food. Certainly can't be a bad idea to have a week's worth of water/food in case of a supply disruption.



  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 50,855, Level: 69
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 295
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,342
    Points
    50,855
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

    Re: Doomsday Preppers

    There is no doubt the show is edited to show the extreme. It is after all entertainment and it is the American Outliers Series. The Mayan thing is not what preparation is about.

    That said the idea of having a few things to make sure you can be self sufficient in the face of a disaster is prudent. A supply of food, water, waste management, generator, fuel, and the means to defend yourself are good. Being dependent on the government or a quasi government entity for any of those necessities is being ill prepared.

    You don't have to have any imagination to see what can happen to the ill prepared. Just look what happened in New Orleans during Katrina. If they survived the initial storm the ill prepared were left with the option of going to the government shelters where their daughters got raped.

    For what it is worth Doomsday Bunkers is a better show.



  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 11,643, Level: 32
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pleasant Hill
    Posts
    712
    Points
    11,643
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Doomsday Preppers

    Quote Originally Posted by HititHard View Post
    There is no doubt the show is edited to show the extreme. It is after all entertainment and it is the American Outliers Series. The Mayan thing is not what preparation is about.

    That said the idea of having a few things to make sure you can be self sufficient in the face of a disaster is prudent. A supply of food, water, waste management, generator, fuel, and the means to defend yourself are good. Being dependent on the government or a quasi government entity for any of those necessities is being ill prepared.

    You don't have to have any imagination to see what can happen to the ill prepared. Just look what happened in New Orleans during Katrina. If they survived the initial storm the ill prepared were left with the option of going to the government shelters where their daughters got raped.

    For what it is worth Doomsday Bunkers is a better show.
    uh... how would your lower 9th ward bunker or supplies have worked out if the water was up to your rooftop ?



  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 50,855, Level: 69
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 295
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,342
    Points
    50,855
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

    Re: Doomsday Preppers

    Quote Originally Posted by matmann22 View Post
    uh... how would your lower 9th ward bunker or supplies have worked out if the water was up to your rooftop ?
    That is the point living in the lower ninth ward is by definition being ill prepared.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 118,984, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    simply1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,225
    Points
    118,984
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Re: Doomsday Preppers

    If you had to live in the lower ninth ward, for whatever reason, that's when you have bug out plans.


    I don't do signatures. Blondes, brunettes, and red heads are a different story.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM