Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Central Iowa Mechanic

I know this has been posted the past few weeks, but I am in need of a good mechanic near the Des Moines/Altoona area.

The power steering on my 97 Bonneville SE has gone out today. The frustrating part is that I just paid a local mechanic a few hundred to replace the power steering pump (which is terribly difficult to do) a couple of weeks ago. He said that I may need a new steering rack as metal shards have gotten into my current one when he released my car to me. It has run a bit better, but there has been some resistance turning at slow speeds since the pump was replaced. Any opinions on what to do or other people to see? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by PhillipJCY; 03-30-2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Mods please move to appropriate forum.

Rookie
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 57

Re: Central Iowa Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipJCY View Post
    I know this has been posted the past few weeks, but I am in need of a good mechanic near the Des Moines/Altoona area.

The power steering on my 97 Bonneville SE has gone out today. The frustrating part is that I just paid a local mechanic a few hundred to replace the power steering pump (which is terribly difficult to do) a couple of weeks ago. He said that I may need a new steering rack as metal shards have gotten into my current one when he released my car to me. It has run a bit better, but there has been some resistance turning at slow speeds since the pump was replaced. Any opinions on what to do or other people to see? Thanks in advance!
    A little furthur north than Des Moines/Altoona, but Woody's Auto Repair in Ankeny has been pretty good to us.

CyBer

Drake Garage.

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 66

Re:Central Iowa Mechanic

I second Drake. But it is my Father-in-law's biz, so I'm biased. They have won numerous accolades. They will tell you everything that is wrong, but they won't expect you to do anything you don't want, they just want you to know. Some on here don't like that way of doing business.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 50

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipJCY View Post

I know this sounds stupid, but make sure your tires are filled. I had a roommate in college who had this problem and he went a couple different places to have it looked at and even had his power steering pump replaced. Nothing helped. Turned out that the next time he filled his tires the problem went away.

Starter
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 754
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Pontiac Boneyardaville huh? Save yourself the trouble and park that GM in the graveyard.

In all seriousness I would help you out if I lived there.