Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Cubs Trim Roster, Demote Wells, Travis Wood

Pitchers Randy Wells and Travis Wood were among the cuts Thursday as the Chicago Cubs trimmed their roster to get down to the 25-man limit for next week's regular-season opener.

With Wells and Wood out of the picture, Jeff Samardzija and Chris Volstad are set for manager Dale Sveum's starting rotation, as No. 3 and No. 4, respectively.

At catcher, Steve Clevenger beat out Welington Castillo for the backup job behind Geovany Soto, while Joe Mather and Blake DeWitt were informed they've made the team, meaning Tony Campana will be sent down.

Mather was a long shot at the start of camp, but impressed the brass with his hitting and versatility

"He made it pretty clear, quite a while ago, that he was going to be that guy for the job," general manager Jed Hoyer said. "He had a great spring, he's continued it. He's hit well, he's versatile and he gives Dale (Sveum) a lot of options."

Also sent to Iowa were Dave Sappelt and Scott Maine, while Casey Coleman said he is also heading down, though no official announcement was made. Edgar Gonzalez, Blake Lalli, Matt Tolbert and Blake Parker also were optioned to minor league camp.

The bullpen situation is not resolved, with two spots still open and Rodrigo Lopez, Manny Corpas, Frankie De La Cruz and Lendy Castillo in the running.

The Wells decision was the biggest surprise, especially since he's set to earn $2.7 million.
    Cubs trim roster, demote Randy Wells, Travis Wood - chicagotribune.com

Last edited by cigaretteman; 03-29-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 710
    Given: 1,502

Re: Cubs Trim Roster, Demote Wells, Travis Wood

Great. I have never been sold on Samardzija.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Pro
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,157
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 16

Wells will be back up and Samardzija will be the bullpen man here soon enough... give him a 1-5 start or so and things will change.

Pro
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 927
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 214
    Given: 304

Who knows, maybe Samardjia will live up to his potential, I am doubtful, but hope he does. I guess you can say we have a better situation this year considering Wells is now in the minors if the other starters are better.

“Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.”
    Alan Wilson Watts

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 208
    Given: 19

Samardija has pitched great this spring, might as well see what you have in him since we already know what Wells is. In a rebuilding year like this, what's the harm?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 959
    Given: 2,000

I'll give the Shark a chance. He apparently had his best spring ever and if they are having him start, then he must have worked on his secondary pitches some. Wells will be there when they need him. There's no way they go without injuries or someone falling off for the whole season.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

I'm just glad there is some starting pitching depth this year and we aren't relying on Lopez, Doug Davis, and Coleman to fill in the 4 and 5 slots. Wells and T Wood will be good insurance at AAA in case Samardzija struggles or someone goes down with an injury. Nice to have 2 lefties in the rotation for a change too in Maholm and Volstad who have had some success in the past with bad teams.

The Iowa Cubs should be pretty good to start the season with those guys Castillo, Rizzo and Jackson all starting the year here. I'm surprised Clevenger beat out Castillo for the backup job behind Soto but I also wonder if Soto will be gone by end of the year along with Byrd as they try to turn the roster over. Geo is a good hitting catcher but he's starting to become too pricey for his position and could bring some decent talent back in a trade and when you have 2 promising young catchers in Clevenger and Castillo in the wings I think they may make the move and let those 2 kids battle it out late in the season. Wells may be trade bait right now too, I'm sure there are teams looking for a decent4 or 5 starter like him.

Go Cubs Go!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Wow. Tough luck for Wells. Glad to see that Jeff is throwing well though

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 885
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 4

Samardzija has had a great spring and makes sense as a starter. One knock on him is the between the ears stuff and the fact he isn't focused coming out of the pen. Well as a starter he will know when his spot in the rotation is coming and will have a chance to prepare.

If people have noticed this Spring he gets stronger as he goes on. For example the other day against the Indians he was 91-94 mph in first, 95-96 in 2nd, 3rd etc... Shark also has a bigger contract than Wells this is the perfect year to find out what you have with him.

I have been very impressed with Volstad and Samardzija this Spring and it is refreshing to be asking questions of the 4th or 5th guy rather than "What kind of Z are we gonna get this year?"

All-Star
    Thumbs Up

I'm really hoping Jeff can continue what he's been doing this spring. I'd really like him to be a rotation guy. Not only because I like his style of play and remember him playing football for ND... but I also bought his jersey because I wanted the most random cubs jersey I could buy 2 years ago. So I bought Jeff Samardizija.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYcoFan View Post
    Samardzija has had a great spring and makes sense as a starter. One knock on him is the between the ears stuff and the fact he isn't focused coming out of the pen. Well as a starter he will know when his spot in the rotation is coming and will have a chance to prepare.

If people have noticed this Spring he gets stronger as he goes on. For example the other day against the Indians he was 91-94 mph in first, 95-96 in 2nd, 3rd etc... Shark also has a bigger contract than Wells this is the perfect year to find out what you have with him.

I have been very impressed with Volstad and Samardzija this Spring and it is refreshing to be asking questions of the 4th or 5th guy rather than "What kind of Z are we gonna get this year?"
    I know I am quoting myself, I think it is worth mentioning for those questioning Shark as a starter, but I said before Shark gets stronger as he goes and was hitting 97 in the 9th inning today after 100 plus pitches. Pretty impressive for a guy that is starting for the first time.

Pro
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,157
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 16

Wow... I'll eat my words a little on Samardzija... Looked pretty damn good yesterday.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clonegrad07 View Post
    Wow... I'll eat my words a little on Samardzija... Looked pretty damn good yesterday.

You weren't alone in your feelings. I would say a majority of Cub fans were right along with you. I think what most forget is that Hendry jerked Samardzija around so much that we are darn lucky he didn't wash out.

He has only had what 4-5 years of being a baseball only athlete. On top of that a majority of his learning has had to be done at the MLB level which is crazy in comparison to most other dual sport college athletes that pick baseball professionally. I felt that what most fans were pointing to as head case or between the ears stuff, was really a player that had no clearly defined role. (in large part because of the previous GM Jim Hendry).

Again this is only one start so I shouldn't get ahead of myself, even if I think this will work all year.

Addict
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,545
    Given: 899

Quote Originally Posted by CYcoFan View Post
    You weren't alone in your feelings. I would say a majority of Cub fans were right along with you. I think what most forget is that Hendry jerked Samardzija around so much that we are darn lucky he didn't wash out.

He has only had what 4-5 years of being a baseball only athlete. On top of that a majority of his learning has had to be done at the MLB level which is crazy in comparison to most other dual sport college athletes that pick baseball professionally. I felt that what most fans were pointing to as head case or between the ears stuff, was really a player that had no clearly defined role. (in large part because of the previous GM Jim Hendry).

Again this is only one start so I shouldn't get ahead of myself, even if I think this will work all year.
    Definitely shouldn't be getting ahead of ourselves, but I have liked what I have seen from the started so far this year. Dempster, Garza, and Samardzija have all looked good. The late inning fellas on the other hand....

“Urgency,” Rhoads said. “That’s exactly what I told our staff. It’s exactly what I told our players. Urgency in getting your job done. That’s in a 100 percent rate of speed at executing your responsibility — whether it’s a fit, whether it’s a tackle, whether it’s a route, whether it’s a cut-off block. Everybody needs a little bit more urgency in coaching and playing.”

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bret44 View Post
    Definitely shouldn't be getting ahead of ourselves, but I have liked what I have seen from the started so far this year. Dempster, Garza, and Samardzija have all looked good. The late inning fellas on the other hand....
    Agree. However, Dollis has been very good. Was good Saturday in his inning of work and had 3 saves in the Spring in limited opportunities. But yeah Wood and Marmol have been aweful. I hope it isn't too long before Dollis is closing.