Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 0

Hoops In the Heartland

Hoops in the heartland - espnW

A feel good story about women's hoops in the Big 12...not much can match it.

I like how they point out that Iowa State can pull in a crowd of almost 10,000 every game in a town of less than 60,000 poeple.

Pro
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,481
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 0

Re: Hoops In the Heartland

Quote Originally Posted by CY9008 View Post
    Hoops in the heartland - espnW

A feel good story about women's hoops in the Big 12...not much can match it.

I like how they point out that Iowa State can pull in a crowd of almost 10,000 every game in a town of less than 60,000 poeple.
    except for non-womans basketball.

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 80

Great article - always good to see the Big 12 get some recognition. There's a reason this league is the best in the country: we have the best teams, best coaches, and best fans.

All people who make sweepingly generalized, stupid, uninformed comments are idiots.

(maybe)

Rookie
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 519
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 7

"A significant segment of the team's supporters attend games to watch the Ambassador, not the players. That's a good thing, because she (or he) doesn't have an NCAA-mandated expiration date."

I thought that was an interesting line. I agree that Big 12 coaches do a great job and, yes, many are very entertaining, but I don't know many people who go to games just to see the coaches (or as is referenced here, Ambassadors). That being said, I think the Big 12 has some coaches that do get quite a bit of name recognition compare to other areas. Storied coaches, storied teams, etc.

Some other interesting lines:

"Because unlike men's basketball fans, those who attend women's games aren't necessarily fans of women's basketball. They're fans of their team. More specifically, they attend because they feel a connection to the Ambassador and the Ambassador's players"

"Blair, who left Arkansas seven years ago for Texas A&M, says no coach voluntarily bolts the Big 12 for a job in another conference."

"By contrast, Iowa State's rabid fan base isn't just a tool for Fennelly to lure players; it also attracts recruits to, say, Oklahoma State and Kansas, because they're assured of big crowds on the road."

"Harvey nods his head, "I wouldn't go across the street to watch the men play, but I'll drive an hour to watch Kim and the girls. He has no time for what he believes is a bastardized version of the game, despite the fact that Baylor's men were ranked in the Top 10 for most of the season and reached the Elite Eight. Harvey prefers the fundamentals -- footwork, screens, movement -- readily present in women's basketball. And he likes what he sees off the court, too, that Kim's girls reach out to the community while their male counterparts come off as aloof."

"On a game night, approximately one out of every six residents of Ames is inside the Hilton Coliseum. Bill Fennelly has coached the Cyclones for 15 years, and the man can't grab a gallon of milk at the grocery store without stopping to chat about his girls. "It's one thing to show up to a game," Fennelly says. "It's another thing to show up and be invested. It's the environment. It's not just the fans; it's the way people work hard to make this a special place for the kids."

"Fennelly can charm the folks of Ames, but the Hilton Coliseum sells out because Iowa State has executed all parts of the formula."

Overall, good article. As Buster28 said, it never gets old seeing Iowa State and the Big 12 in a positive light.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 97.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,680
    Given: 2,918

Quote Originally Posted by simville02 View Post
    "Harvey nods his head, "I wouldn't go across the street to watch the men play, but I'll drive an hour to watch Kim and the girls. He has no time for what he believes is a bastardized version of the game, despite the fact that Baylor's men were ranked in the Top 10 for most of the season and reached the Elite Eight. Harvey prefers the fundamentals -- footwork, screens, movement -- readily present in women's basketball. And he likes what he sees off the court, too, that Kim's girls reach out to the community while their male counterparts come off as aloof."
    Perhaps the first time ever that this year's Men's Baylor squad and the word "fundamentals" have appeared in the same paragraph.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr