Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Similarities between OU game 37 years ago

In 1970, I got to watch the transformation of the Cyclone football team. It was homecoming weekend against the national powerhouse Oklahoma Sooners. ISU lost that day. But the Sooners knew they were lucky to escape with the victory. That day Iowa State football proved they could play with anyone and more importantly Johnny Majors proved he could coach with anyone.

See any similarities? The game today, if you were lucky to see it on TV or in person, might be the game that ISU turned the corner. It was a loss… but later this year or next year, will we look back and think this was the game that ISU football arrived?

Chizik gave the Clones a game plan to win. He proved he can coach against one of the best in the Big 12. And today, the first step to swagger was born!

That being, no matter who you play against they need to know that they will be playing a fierce opponent on their home turf. Today, Jack Trice became a hostile environment.

Back in 1970, the Clones finished 5-6, but the next year they made it to their first bowl game in school history. And throughout most of the 70s the Clones were a force to be reckoned with. And it all started with a loss to a national power.

Hopefully, history repeats itself and we can say that “I witnessed the turning of this program.”

Last edited by cyclonelifer; 10-20-2007 at 04:11 PM. Reason: lost a decade - the 80s - but that's another story

Cyclone42

Re: Similarities between OU game 27 years ago

Ummm... wasn't that 37 years ago?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: Similarities between OU game 27 years ago

whoops... you're right 37 years ago. Man I'm older than I think

Addict
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,314
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 107
    Given: 80

Re: Similarities between OU game 37 years ago

I'm inclined to think that comparison would be more apt if we'd won more than 1 game so far this year. We can still finish 5-7, but we'll have to play out of our brains to do it. This game was encouraging, but also incredibly frustrating. The kicking game continues to be an enormous weakness, as does our red zone and third-down play calling.

My two new favorite players are Marquis Hamilton and Jesse Smith. Those guys were huge for us today.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal&gold View Post
    I'm inclined to think that comparison would be more apt if we'd won more than 1 game so far this year. We can still finish 5-7, but we'll have to play out of our brains to do it. This game was encouraging, but also incredibly frustrating. The kicking game continues to be an enormous weakness, as does our red zone and third-down play calling.

My two new favorite players are Marquis Hamilton and Jesse Smith. Those guys were huge for us today.
    I agree with all this.

If Chizik can develop a game plan like they did today and get players who fit what he wants to do in there we will be good to go. The problems right now are obviously the kicking game and I think the play calling is getting a little more creative as the season goes on.

That said I think we were lucky Oklahoma didn't connect on some of those long passes, but give our defense credit for getting there on two of them to break them up.

I really wish when it came to that fourth down play in the second quarter, that we would have either put it to our offensive line to get some push and get it done, or pull the play action with a bootleg to try and get a 2-on-1, it looked like it might have been a possibility after I watched the replay on the board.

But I was really impressed with Jesse Smith's performance today, seemed like he was everywhere making plays when they counted.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,396
    Given: 656

I'm afraid I was about 4 months old, so I missed the game. That's ok though, most posters probably weren't even swimming around in their daddy's pants at that point.

I agree on Jesse Smith and Marques Hamilton. They both came up huge today. Glimpses of future stars. The whole team played with a tremendous amount of guts today, including the much maligned Meyer and Blythe.