Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 142
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 113,796, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    madcityCY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    5,773
    Points
    113,796
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 181

    Gun Enthusiasts: Please advise

    I've decided to purchase a handgun for home defense reasons. It's possible it will be used for concealed carry in the future (but it wouldn't be often), but compactness is not a big priority, as long as its not huge.

    In a CCW situation (or even home defense for that matter) it would most likely be for my other half, so a gun that fits her hand, and is comfortable to shoot (no crazy recoil) is really the primary criteria. Price range, as you will see by the chosen options below is $400 - $500, base (not necessarily including accessories). I think I am targeting the .380/ 9mm/ .40 caliber range.

    I am already a gun owner (.270 hunting rifle), but don't however know that much about handguns. My frame of reference is about 30 trigger pulls on a Springfield XDM 40, which I really like, but I think that might be 1.) a little more power than she would be comfortable with, and 2.) a bit out of my price range. Also, I would like to note that she will be taking a class(es) about handgun care, use, safety. I might enroll myself as well - not sure yet.

    So, with no further ado, these are some options. Anyone have any experience with these models or makers? Another model I should consider that meets my criteria?

    Gander Mountain® > CZ-USA CZ P-07 Duty Handgun with Tactical Light - Firearms > Handguns > Semi-Auto Pistols :

    Gander Mountain® > Ruger SR40c Handgun - Firearms > Handguns > Semi-Auto Pistols :

    Gander Mountain® > Walther PK380 Handgun - Firearms > Handguns > Semi-Auto Pistols :

    Gander Mountain® > Ruger SR40 Handgun - Firearms > Handguns > Semi-Auto Pistols :

    Gander Mountain® > European American Armory Witness Handgun - Firearms > Handguns > Semi-Auto Pistols :

    Gander Mountain® > Ruger SR9c Handgun - Firearms > Handguns > Semi-Auto Pistols :

    Gander Mountain® > Taurus Model 92 Handgun - Firearms > Handguns > Semi-Auto Pistols :

    Gander Mountain® > Smith Wesson SD40 Handgun - Firearms > Handguns > Semi-Auto Pistols :

    Gander Mountain® > Taurus Model PT-100 Handgun. - Firearms > Handguns > Semi-Auto Pistols :

    FYI- my mind is made up, so please don't lecture me about getting a dog (we have one) or anything else. Also, I don't intend this to be a gun rights/ political thread - so create a new one in the cave if you want to rail on some aspect of that. Thanks in advance.



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 386,900, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,784
    Points
    386,900
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 557
    Given: 383

    Re: Gun Enthusiasts: Please advise

    I dont know anything about handguns, but a laser light would be fun. As soon as the red dot hits them, they know something is gonna follow if they dont change their tone.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 21,972, Level: 45
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 578
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    jj-cyclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,813
    Points
    21,972
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 18

    Re: Gun Enthusiasts: Please advise

    I have a Smith Wesson 40. Love it, but it has a very long trigger pull that pry wouldn't be the best for your other half.

    If you want the most simple gun on the market, I would go with a Glock. They make a 40 and a 9mm in a mini size, that will fit anyone's hand.

    Rugers are good guns, but I had some problems with rust, so make sure to clean it often.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 60,648, Level: 76
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,002
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    BigLame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western IA
    Posts
    2,681
    Points
    60,648
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 153

    Re: Gun Enthusiasts: Please advise

    My personal preference would be to stick with a 9mm. It has the most choices for plinking/target shooting ammunition as well as the top-notch stuff for self-defense. 40-cal has more jump/recoil, & 380 may not have the 'lethality' needed & at times the ammo has been extremely high even though it is the smallest of the 3. To be honest, I am not too familiar with the 380 & do know they have become more popular with more people going with concealabe weapons.

    Understand your price range, but if you go with a little more you could add Sig. Can't go wrong with a Sig out of the box & I think they started to offer a 380 in the past year or so that has been a popular seller. While most firearms have pretty good reliability, as with most important things in life, you may get what you pay for - fwiw


    Section110 on 9/12/14: Iowa 35 ISU 17
    The subpar defense from the Cyclones gives the Hawks a chance to finally start to get their confidence rolling on offense. Both running the football and through the air.
    *Breakout player prediction.... Everyone is going to have their eyes on Allen Lazard because of his hype coming out of H.S., but Derrick Willies steals the show.

  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,308, Level: 75
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,075
    Points
    59,308
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Gun Enthusiasts: Please advise

    Check into a Glock 19. If you can go somewhere that you can actually shoot the guns prior to purchase that is highly recommended.


    Seneca Wallace.

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 649,107, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    24,073
    Points
    649,107
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,675
    Given: 169

    Re: Gun Enthusiasts: Please advise

    Most people say a shotgun for home defense. I don't own a gun and am not a gun guy, but that's what I've read on the internet, so it's true.



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 55,183, Level: 72
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 367
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JBone84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    1,462
    Points
    55,183
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 268

    Re: Gun Enthusiasts: Please advise

    Best gun for home defense = shotgun.

    That said, Glock 19 or 17, both 9mm. You can go pick one up for $500 new in box (not at Gander Mountain, Scheels, etc - they will charge you $575 or so). Will shoot anything you put through it, won't fail, no external safety for your significant other to forget to flip off when SHTF. Will also work great for conceal carry if you decide to go that route.

    You don't want .380 as your only defense load. .380 is good for carrying in the summer when you don't have any concealment options (with your carry license, of course) and for a backup gun.



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 55,183, Level: 72
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 367
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JBone84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    1,462
    Points
    55,183
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 268

    Re: Gun Enthusiasts: Please advise

    If you like the Springfield XDM, you can get a very similar model - the XD - for about $75 or $100 less. You don't get the match grade barrel and sacrifice some ergonomic / aesthetic "improvements".



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 164,492, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    CtownCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    8,738
    Points
    164,492
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 86

    Re: Gun Enthusiasts: Please advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Check into a Glock 19. If you can go somewhere that you can actually shoot the guns prior to purchase that is highly recommended.
    If you can test guns out prior to buying, you'll be much more satisfied. For example, I was looking to get a Ruger LC9 (9mm ultra concealable single stack). Thought for sure that was the gun for me. Tried it out and discovered I hated it with a passion.

    I did pick up a Ruger LCP (380 Auto) for ultra concealability. As others have noted, thed .380 Auto cartridge isn't the most powerful in the world, but I carry hollow points, plus a typical encounter where you'd need to use the gun is going to be close quarters anyway.

    I also have Smith & Wesson M&P 9c. That's a sweet-shooting gun. It's a compact 9mm (which means it's still decently sized). Smooth trigger pull, easy to be accurate with. FWIW, it's the gun they issue to ICE and some other federal agencies.

    My brother picked up a Kimber 40. Haven't shot it yet, so couldn't give any insight into it.

    All that being said, I think you'd be fine with a 9mm for home defense. The kick isn't bad at all. Get hollow point ammunition to put in it.



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 55,183, Level: 72
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 367
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JBone84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    1,462
    Points
    55,183
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 268

    Re: Gun Enthusiasts: Please advise

    Quote Originally Posted by CtownCyclone View Post
    If you can test guns out prior to buying, you'll be much more satisfied. For example, I was looking to get a Ruger LC9 (9mm ultra concealable single stack). Thought for sure that was the gun for me. Tried it out and discovered I hated it with a passion.

    I did pick up a Ruger LCP (380 Auto) for ultra concealability. As others have noted, thed .380 Auto cartridge isn't the most powerful in the world, but I carry hollow points, plus a typical encounter where you'd need to use the gun is going to be close quarters anyway.

    I also have Smith & Wesson M&P 9c. That's a sweet-shooting gun. It's a compact 9mm (which means it's still decently sized). Smooth trigger pull, easy to be accurate with. FWIW, it's the gun they issue to ICE and some other federal agencies.

    My brother picked up a Kimber 40. Haven't shot it yet, so couldn't give any insight into it.

    All that being said, I think you'd be fine with a 9mm for home defense. The kick isn't bad at all. Get hollow point ammunition to put in it.
    This would also be a good candidate, essentially the same size as the Glock 19. Can get with or without external safety depending on preference.



  11. #11
    Rookie
    Points: 14,699, Level: 36
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience Points1 year registeredRecommendation Second Class
    Storkenheimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    528
    Points
    14,699
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

    Re: Gun Enthusiasts: Please advise

    If you are not stuck on a semi auto, check into a .38 special revolver. Something like a Smith and Wesson 638 is good for concealed carry, has manageable recoil (for your wife), and is simple to operate. Reliability and simplicity could be good for someone who is new to handguns.

    Otherwise I would recommend a Springfield XD 40 with a 5 inch barrel. The extra weight out front helps to reduce recoil and muzzle flip.

    Just my $.02 from my limited experience. Good luck.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 55,183, Level: 72
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 367
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JBone84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    1,462
    Points
    55,183
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 268

    Re: Gun Enthusiasts: Please advise

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLame View Post
    My personal preference would be to stick with a 9mm. It has the most choices for plinking/target shooting ammunition as well as the top-notch stuff for self-defense. 40-cal has more jump/recoil, & 380 may not have the 'lethality' needed & at times the ammo has been extremely high even though it is the smallest of the 3. To be honest, I am not too familiar with the 380 & do know they have become more popular with more people going with concealabe weapons.

    Understand your price range, but if you go with a little more you could add Sig. Can't go wrong with a Sig out of the box & I think they started to offer a 380 in the past year or so that has been a popular seller. While most firearms have pretty good reliability, as with most important things in life, you may get what you pay for - fwiw
    I missed this in your post earlier - I have a Sig P238 which is the .380 you're referring to. It is awesome, like a mini-1911.



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 55,183, Level: 72
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 367
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JBone84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    1,462
    Points
    55,183
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 268

    Re: Gun Enthusiasts: Please advise

    Quote Originally Posted by Storkenheimer View Post
    If you are not stuck on a semi auto, check into a .38 special revolver. Something like a Smith and Wesson 638 is good for concealed carry, has manageable recoil (for your wife), and is simple to operate. Reliability and simplicity could be good for someone who is new to handguns.

    Otherwise I would recommend a Springfield XD 40 with a 5 inch barrel. The extra weight out front helps to reduce recoil and muzzle flip.

    Just my $.02 from my limited experience. Good luck.
    Good advice here - I'm a semi-auto guy myself but a simple wheelgun is great for newbies.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 560,102, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    ISUAgronomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in Iowa!!!!!!!!
    Posts
    21,356
    Points
    560,102
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 118

    Re: Gun Enthusiasts: Please advise

    Find a place she can hold and test fire them. How they feel in her hand and when firing is most important.

    IF there's a good firearms store near you that's where I'd purchase as Gander/Cabela's/etc are generally over priced.




  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 164,492, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    CtownCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    8,738
    Points
    164,492
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 86

    Re: Gun Enthusiasts: Please advise

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUAgronomist View Post
    Find a place she can hold and test fire them. How they feel in her hand and when firing is most important.

    IF there's a good firearms store near you that's where I'd purchase as Gander/Cabela's/etc are generally over priced.
    Also a good idea - if you are expecting your better half to be the one wielding the gun, she better be comfortable with it. My GF is terrified of guns. Took her to the range, she was fine with a .22, but when we moved up to a .380, she decided that was too much. It's all about building confidence at that point.

    A gun store will also give you better customer service, I have found. At least here in Texas, the gun store employees all carry (open carry is allowed on private premises - i.e. the gun shop) and all have quite a bit of experience with various guns and can give you their perspective. At a larger retailer, the person "helping" you might have never fired the guns you are interested in.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM