Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 1

Royce White vs Harrison Barnes - Ames' adopted son vs Ames' lost son

This may be a dumb post, but after the Royce love-fest this week and the stinky regulation game for UNC vs Ohio tonight...

(1) In the NBA, what position does Barnes play? Tall shooting G/F like Durant?

(2) What current NBA player do you compare White to? (Current, Calipari compared him to Charles Barkley.)

(3) Imagine: After White's big games vs NBA lottery opponents, you're an NBA exec. Would you choose Royce before Barnes in the draft? (Barnes is listed as pick no. 2.)

(4) Imagine: McDermott is fired/'leaves' earlier and Hoiberg is hired; ISU fans are split between "this is crazy stupid" or "Great! CFH will make ISU a funnel for NBA talent who trust his experience" Does Barnes go to ISU instead of UNC?

(5) Imagine: Assume White played last year too. For the last two years, would you choose Barnes or White? (No hating on HB implied unless stated in your answer).

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 337
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Royce White vs Harrison Barnes - Ames' adopted son vs Ames' lost son

NBA execs will take the safe pic and go with Barnes..Harrison would have still gone to UNC if Fred had just came. Maybe now if we had just gone to the tourney and were on the up...then I can see him choosing ISU.

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 833
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 9

Bad timing for ISU to be as bad as they were, and for when Barnes was choosing his school. I can not blame Harrison for going somewhere besides ISU (knew Mcdermott sucked something other....) I will say that if Fred had been the HC when they were recruiting Barnes he would have surely given ISU a lot more consideration than when Greg was here....

Simply because of of his NBA connections...

I WAS THERE!!!!!!

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 527
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by EYEoftheSTORM View Post
    Bad timing for ISU to be as bad as they were, and for when Barnes was choosing his school. I can not blame Harrison for going somewhere besides ISU (knew Mcdermott sucked something other....) I will say that if Fred had been the HC when they were recruiting Barnes he would have surely given ISU a lot more consideration than when Greg was here....

Simply because of of his NBA connections...
    While I agree with the premise, I don't think it is 100% true. If Hoiberg was the coach before Barnes made his decision, he would have to have been the head coach that was hired when WM was left go. Because of this, he wouldn't have the NBA connections. Also, if the timing wasn't right like it was for Hoiberg, we don't get the transfer like we did. Maybe things start out on the wrong foot for Fred and people quickly start going to "Maybe he isn't a coach but just a great player" kind of mood.

Regardless, this is an entirely different/alternative history. I would think it would be more interesting to guess what would've gone down if Barnes was coming out of High School now and going to be a freshman in 2012/13 (next year). Would he come to ISU? That is a better question....

Other than Niang we haven't gotten any highly touted freshmen. I hope (and think) that changes with the 2013 class. We shall see.

Yep, this thread has just been pwned.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by rhillary View Post
    While I agree with the premise, I don't think it is 100% true. If Hoiberg was the coach before Barnes made his decision, he would have to have been the head coach that was hired when WM was left go. Because of this, he wouldn't have the NBA connections. Also, if the timing wasn't right like it was for Hoiberg, we don't get the transfer like we did. Maybe things start out on the wrong foot for Fred and people quickly start going to "Maybe he isn't a coach but just a great player" kind of mood.

Regardless, this is an entirely different/alternative history. I would think it would be more interesting to guess what would've gone down if Barnes was coming out of High School now and going to be a freshman in 2012/13 (next year). Would he come to ISU? That is a better question....

Other than Niang we haven't gotten any highly touted freshmen. I hope (and think) that changes with the 2013 class. We shall see.
    Agree with you as well.

Saw Fred with highly touted 2013 recruit Rashad Vaughn after the Baylor game. Was really cool to see recruiting first hand and in person and would be really cool if he committed as well having seen this and to then see him in a Cyclone Uni..

Actually have a pic of it on my phone because I thought it was cool to see... Ill post it here just give me a sec.

I WAS THERE!!!!!!

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 329
    Given: 62

If Harrison would have been a 2012 recruit, he would be staying in Ames for college.

Walk On
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    NBA execs will take the safe pic and go with Barnes
    Probably. But I suspect they will regret it. HB is going to be a mediocre pro at best.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 337
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bots View Post
    Probably. But I suspect they will regret it. HB is going to be a mediocre pro at best.
    I agree, from what I've seen, he won't be a star, just a solid role player.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Vaughn is the one in the center right with the white track jacket. Fred is on the right and Coach Mann is on the left. Sorry for the poor quality this was done on my nearly 2 year old blackberry... It was neat to see the recruiting process at work. I wish I could hear what they were talking about... I'd sure like to hear Fred's sales pitch!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00037-20120303-2026.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	11355   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00036-20120303-2026.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	11356  

I WAS THERE!!!!!!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 222
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by bots View Post
    I agree with this

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 611
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 4

I am going to say it, and will get pounded for it. Barnes is the most over rated player in the country right now, and has been since he came to college.

It was best for both parties he left, and I don't think Freddy could have kept him here. The guy clearly does not want to be the go to guy, and at ISU the expectations would have been huge, and I think he would have melted under them. Best he went somewhere else to mature some.

His game is really soft, literally no post up game, he is not lighting quick relative to other guys at D-1 level. Not a great ball handler, he can't get to the rim that well, can't put the ball on the floor for more than a couple dribbles, decent shooter but not great. Average defender at best. Not a great creator. Passing is average. He is tall and cut and looks the part of an NBA draft pick in his warmups....and then the game starts. He simply doesn't play hard enough at this point and his game just lacks any really good aggressiveness. I want to reach out and shake him and just tell him to play harder. That is a harsh assessment, but there are players on every team in the country better than this guy. Not being negative here at all, it is just reality.

I have seen him play so many times where he is just disinterested and many many times is the least impressive player on the court. He looks ill at times, other times you have to wonder if he is even paying attention or knows where he is at.

Right now he can't play in the NBA, not even close, he would be destroyed and it would be a huge mistake for him to go now. His career would last a couple years. He needs to stay, work on pretty much every part of his game, and figure out how to play with some ball sack and some toughness. That is not to say he won't be a lottery pick right now, he probably will be as some NBA GM will get lured in.

He can be a great player, but he has to improve a lot, he isn't as gifted athletically as everyone thought and he really just sort of blends in at the D1 level right now. Occasinally being really good and seldom great, most other times being average and once in awhile being terrible like tonight.

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 846
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 487

don't sell yourself short. your post is super dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by k123 View Post
    This may be a dumb post, but after the Royce love-fest this week and the stinky regulation game for UNC vs Ohio tonight...

(1) In the NBA, what position does Barnes play? Tall shooting G/F like Durant?

(2) What current NBA player do you compare White to? (Current, Calipari compared him to Charles Barkley.)

(3) Imagine: After White's big games vs NBA lottery opponents, you're an NBA exec. Would you choose Royce before Barnes in the draft? (Barnes is listed as pick no. 2.)

(4) Imagine: McDermott is fired/'leaves' earlier and Hoiberg is hired; ISU fans are split between "this is crazy stupid" or "Great! CFH will make ISU a funnel for NBA talent who trust his experience" Does Barnes go to ISU instead of UNC?

(5) Imagine: Assume White played last year too. For the last two years, would you choose Barnes or White? (No hating on HB implied unless stated in your answer).

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 929
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 222
    Given: 17

Harrison could have been Hoiberg part II here.

As far as Royce vs. Harrison, it's hard to say. I would have loved to have Harrison. But I don't think he would have led us to the tournament with the team we had this year without Royce.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 392
    Given: 642

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    NBA execs will take the safe pic and go with Barnes..Harrison would have still gone to UNC if Fred had just came. Maybe now if we had just gone to the tourney and were on the up...then I can see him choosing ISU.

CyCash's Post of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by theantiAIRBHG View Post
    Thats because most of this site doesn't enjoy having hotdogs shoved up their ********.
    Denver/Arsenal/Iowa State Fan

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 44

Quote Originally Posted by cyatheart View Post
    I am going to say it, and will get pounded for it. Barnes is the most over rated player in the country right now, and has been since he came to college.

It was best for both parties he left, and I don't think Freddy could have kept him here. The guy clearly does not want to be the go to guy, and at ISU the expectations would have been huge, and I think he would have melted under them. Best he went somewhere else to mature some.

His game is really soft, literally no post up game, he is not lighting quick relative to other guys at D-1 level. Not a great ball handler, he can't get to the rim that well, can't put the ball on the floor for more than a couple dribbles, decent shooter but not great. Average defender at best. Not a great creator. Passing is average. He is tall and cut and looks the part of an NBA draft pick in his warmups....and then the game starts. He simply doesn't play hard enough at this point and his game just lacks any really good aggressiveness. I want to reach out and shake him and just tell him to play harder. That is a harsh assessment, but there are players on every team in the country better than this guy. Not being negative here at all, it is just reality.

I have seen him play so many times where he is just disinterested and many many times is the least impressive player on the court. He looks ill at times, other times you have to wonder if he is even paying attention or knows where he is at.

Right now he can't play in the NBA, not even close, he would be destroyed and it would be a huge mistake for him to go now. His career would last a couple years. He needs to stay, work on pretty much every part of his game, and figure out how to play with some ball sack and some toughness. That is not to say he won't be a lottery pick right now, he probably will be as some NBA GM will get lured in.

He can be a great player, but he has to improve a lot, he isn't as gifted athletically as everyone thought and he really just sort of blends in at the D1 level right now. Occasinally being really good and seldom great, most other times being average and once in awhile being terrible like tonight.
    I pretty much totally agree...I keep watching HB thinking i'm going to see the player I want to see....I never see it. Good player...maybe really good but I've watched more than several games on his and I've never once been impressed. Great body/frame...seems like he should be good but I've never once seen him take over a game. I'm sure he has but I've not seen it and I've watched several games of his.