Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 64
  1. #1
    Walk On
    Points: 3,755, Level: 17
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    169
    Points
    3,755
    Level
    17
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

    ADD Medicine Side effects?

    I have been on a few different ones since I got diagnosed in December, and the current one called Concerta I'm on causes me not to eat very often, and I sweat quite a bit (comparable to a fountain) after like 10 minutes of doing anything. So just wondering if anybody else takes this, or a similar one and has the same effects, and if there's one that doesn't make a 10 minute run look like I just got out of a pool.
    Thanks.



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 30,529, Level: 53
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 321
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,456
    Points
    30,529
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 4

    Re: ADD Medicine Side effects?

    When my girlfriend is on her adderal, she doesn't eat either. I'm no doctor, but I dislike adderal and A.D.D. medicine more than anything.


    Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those who think

    Iowa State University Big XII champs 2012 ***official CF PS3 Online Dynasty***

  3. #3
    Walk On
    Points: 3,755, Level: 17
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    169
    Points
    3,755
    Level
    17
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

    Re: ADD Medicine Side effects?

    No kidding. It really helped my grades, but right now my mouths so dry it feels like I'm eating a peanut butter sandwich in the Sahara, can't say I think all the side effects are worth it.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 150,485, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ZJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Snottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    3,516
    Points
    150,485
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 55

    Re: ADD Medicine Side effects?

    All ADD meds are appetite suppressants.



  5. #5
    Rookie
    Points: 19,915, Level: 43
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 835
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Heilsqauvador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ames via Hampton
    Posts
    448
    Points
    19,915
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 12

    Re: ADD Medicine Side effects?

    I had a roommate last year that never slept. He would literally be awake all night on his computer. Must be some wicked stuff. I don't know what specific meds he was on though...

    It was kinda creepy knowing he was always awake when I was sleeping



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 30,529, Level: 53
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 321
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,456
    Points
    30,529
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 4

    Re: ADD Medicine Side effects?

    My advice would be practice discipline. If you really work at it I don't think you need meds. I'm fairly skeptical of the whole A.D.D. craze. I see it as just a way for pharma companies to make big bucks. Nearly anyone can be diagnosed with it. But it's up to you really, I wouldn't really want to take the advice of some random guy on the internet, and like I said, I'm no doctor


    Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those who think

    Iowa State University Big XII champs 2012 ***official CF PS3 Online Dynasty***

  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 30,529, Level: 53
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 321
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,456
    Points
    30,529
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 4

    Re: ADD Medicine Side effects?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heilsqauvador View Post
    I had a roommate last year that never slept. He would literally be awake all night on his computer. Must be some wicked stuff. I don't know what specific meds he was on though...

    It was kinda creepy knowing he was always awake when I was sleeping
    My girlfriend also did this, and then when she stopped taking them she was completely exhausted. To me it sounds like meth, which was once legal and used in medication.


    Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those who think

    Iowa State University Big XII champs 2012 ***official CF PS3 Online Dynasty***

  8. #8
    Prospect
    Points: 6,003, Level: 22
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    isustud07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    67
    Points
    6,003
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ADD Medicine Side effects?

    Quote Originally Posted by CyCope View Post
    No kidding. It really helped my grades, but right now my mouths so dry it feels like I'm eating a peanut butter sandwich in the Sahara, can't say I think all the side effects are worth it.

    I take adderall and I definitely get the dry mouth thing and it sucks...i have to keep a water bottle with me when it happens. It does seem to go in spurts and sometimes it will go away for a while. I also experience loss of appetite during the day and then at night i feel like i want to eat everything in the house.



  9. #9
    Rookie
    Points: 19,915, Level: 43
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 835
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Heilsqauvador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ames via Hampton
    Posts
    448
    Points
    19,915
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 12

    Re: ADD Medicine Side effects?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cychotiic View Post
    My advice would be practice discipline. If you really work at it I don't think you need meds. I'm fairly skeptical of the whole A.D.D. craze. I see it as just a way for pharma companies to make big bucks. Nearly anyone can be diagnosed with it. But it's up to you really, I wouldn't really want to take the advice of some random guy on the internet, and like I said, I'm no doctor
    I agree with your sentiment



  10. #10
    Prospect
    Points: 6,003, Level: 22
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    isustud07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    67
    Points
    6,003
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ADD Medicine Side effects?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cychotiic View Post
    My advice would be practice discipline. If you really work at it I don't think you need meds. I'm fairly skeptical of the whole A.D.D. craze. I see it as just a way for pharma companies to make big bucks. Nearly anyone can be diagnosed with it. But it's up to you really, I wouldn't really want to take the advice of some random guy on the internet, and like I said, I'm no doctor
    ADD is kind of like your brain not being able to grasp all the messages it is firing off. We all can handle different loads of information. I was not diagnosed until i was an adult because my brain was not yet challenged to the point that it struggled to grab the message on its own. Once i worked my way up in my career and took on more of a workload, i began noticing very severe symptoms and began having problems with tasks that i shouldn't. It became very frustrating and annoying because i would try to stay on task and get things done but always found myself getting distracted or forgetting tasks. I am 100% better when I take adderall. There is nothing wrong with taking medicine to help fix a problem. Do you take tylenol for a headache? The medicine helps your brain receive all those messages your brain is firing off. I know you said you aren't a doctor, but I just have a major problem with people that make statements like this. However, you are entitled to your opinion :)



  11. #11
    CyBer
    Guest

    Re: ADD Medicine Side effects?

    I have ADD, and they put me on some sort of medication when I was younger. I don't really look at it as a disability, I actually view it as an advantage to me. Anyways I remember not eating anything while I was on the medicine and the doctors always were telling me "make sure to eat with it". I also played basketball at that time and remember multiple times where I would dry heave in the bathroom because it was hard on my stomach. No thanks, I can live with being distracted easily.



  12. #12
    CyBer
    Guest

    Re: ADD Medicine Side effects?

    Quote Originally Posted by isustud07 View Post
    ADD is kind of like your brain not being able to grasp all the messages it is firing off. We all can handle different loads of information. I was not diagnosed until i was an adult because my brain was not yet challenged to the point that it struggled to grab the message on its own. Once i worked my way up in my career and took on more of a workload, i began noticing very severe symptoms and began having problems with tasks that i shouldn't. It became very frustrating and annoying because i would try to stay on task and get things done but always found myself getting distracted or forgetting tasks. I am 100% better when I take adderall. There is nothing wrong with taking medicine to help fix a problem. Do you take tylenol for a headache? The medicine helps your brain receive all those messages your brain is firing off. I know you said you aren't a doctor, but I just have a major problem with people that make statements like this. However, you are entitled to your opinion :)
    There is nothing wrong with it when you are old enough to make that decision by yourself. But now-a-days doctors are shoving these harsh medicines down children's throats and the kid might not even have anything wrong with them.

    I remember when I went in for the "test". I scored very high in things dealing with problem solving with my hands, but when it came to reading comprehension I scored lower than average. Turns out that my IQ was at the "gifted" level (whatever that means, I used to think that meant ******** LOL). My point is, is that the test is very weird and I don't really know if it is a good way to "diagnose" someone with anything.



  13. #13
    Prospect
    Points: 1,831, Level: 11
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    19
    Points
    1,831
    Level
    11
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ADD Medicine Side effects?

    Ever wonder why a generic name for adderall is amphetamine?



  14. #14
    Walk On
    Points: 3,755, Level: 17
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    169
    Points
    3,755
    Level
    17
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

    Re: ADD Medicine Side effects?

    Quote Originally Posted by CyBer View Post
    There is nothing wrong with it when you are old enough to make that decision by yourself. But now-a-days doctors are shoving these harsh medicines down children's throats and the kid might not even have anything wrong with them.

    I remember when I went in for the "test". I scored very high in things dealing with problem solving with my hands, but when it came to reading comprehension I scored lower than average. Turns out that my IQ was at the "gifted" level (whatever that means, I used to think that meant ******** LOL). My point is, is that the test is very weird and I don't really know if it is a good way to "diagnose" someone with anything.
    I can completely agree with this. I mean my GPA has dropped from like a 3.0 to a 2.5 from freshmen to junior year, and my 2nd semester grades look good so far since i've been on it, but I almost wonder sometimes if part of it since I know that i'm on this it has a placebo-ish effect on me to help me focus, so who knows.



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 30,029, Level: 53
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 821
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cymate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ames, the labb
    Posts
    1,093
    Points
    30,029
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re:ADD Medicine Side effects?

    I take zoloft for anxiety and i feel full all the time



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 11:00 AM