Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

The best kind of "one & done"?

Just thinking here, but the Royce White situation has one significant difference from Carmello Anthony and other more famous "one & done" players in college basketball:

Premeditation.

As far as I know, Royce White did not come to Ames saying "I'll play for one year, and then move on". He signed with Iowa State, did his transfer year & played a big part on our team this year, then caught the attention of pro scouts. Fred told everyone that he would evaluate Royce's pro prospects and advise him on the best way to proceed, and I feel confident that this happened.

He played for Iowa State, and then was advised that the opportunity to make a guaranteed chunk of change was there for the taking. Back in the "dark ages" when I was in school, if some corporate recruiter had come to me and said "Come work for me RIGHT NOW and I'll write you a multi-million dollar check.....AND allow you to work on finishing your college degree in your spare time if that's what you want."? I'd have taken the deal. No question.

Not having Royce next year sucks for me as an ISU basketball fan, but it is apparently the best thing for Royce White to do with his life. So all I can say is "Good luck with your future endeavors Royce, and thanks for being part of a special season at Iowa State."

"Correct me if I'm wrong, Scotty.......but if I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key!" Carl Spackler

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 740
    Given: 92

Re: The best kind of "one & done"?

I think ROyce intended on going as soon as he could and I think he hoped it was after one year. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that but I don't think he ever planned on being here for 4 years.

It's all snark from here on out

Speechless
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,179
    Given: 3,750

I always thought the best kind of one and done was the type that won a NC on their way out the door.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,097
    Given: 924

I'm glad he didn't lead us fans on. He declared right away to help the fans get over it and more importantly to give Coach more time to figure out his off season going forward.

@RandomGeoFacts

Speechless
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,179
    Given: 3,750

Quote Originally Posted by mj4cy View Post
    I'm glad he didn't lead us fans on. He declared right away to help the fans get over it and more importantly to give Coach more time to figure out his off season going forward.
    +1...and no skype.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 164

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    +1...and no skype.
    I agree, he could have easily made it a big deal and made it a big secret but he did the right thing by deciding early and making it known exactly what was planned.

Good for him.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 471
    Given: 156

Quote Originally Posted by CYlent Bob View Post
    Just thinking here, but the Royce White situation has one significant difference from Carmello Anthony and other more famous "one & done" players in college basketball:

Premeditation.

As far as I know, Royce White did not come to Ames saying "I'll play for one year, and then move on". He signed with Iowa State, did his transfer year & played a big part on our team this year, then caught the attention of pro scouts. Fred told everyone that he would evaluate Royce's pro prospects and advise him on the best way to proceed, and I feel confident that this happened.

He played for Iowa State, and then was advised that the opportunity to make a guaranteed chunk of change was there for the taking. Back in the "dark ages" when I was in school, if some corporate recruiter had come to me and said "Come work for me RIGHT NOW and I'll write you a multi-million dollar check.....AND allow you to work on finishing your college degree in your spare time if that's what you want."? I'd have taken the deal. No question.

Not having Royce next year sucks for me as an ISU basketball fan, but it is apparently the best thing for Royce White to do with his life. So all I can say is "Good luck with your future endeavors Royce, and thanks for being part of a special season at Iowa State."
    I think he very much came with the intention of leaving for the NBA soon as he felt he was ready, and as soon as the relevant, credible voices around him felt he was ready. Whether that was going to take 1 year or 4.