Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Hooray for USF

Notwithstanding the USF loss it is significant that they had reached #2 in the BCS standings

Why is this important?

Because it gives hope to the smaller football programs; South Florida only spent $6.7 million on its football team during the 2005-06 season, while Ohio State's football revenue exceeded $60 million.

Link: WSJ.com

Last edited by alaskaguy; 10-19-2007 at 12:22 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,621
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 27

Re: Hooray for USF

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    Notwithstanding the USF loss it is significant that they had reached #2 in the BCS standings

Why is this important?

Because it gives hope to the smaller football programs; South Florida only spent $6.7 million on its football team during the 2005-06 season, while Ohio State's football revenue exceeded $60 million.

Link: WSJ.com
    lets look at how they did it, maybe ISU can copy.
    1) VERY low academic standards...these guys make miami look ivy league
    2) Southern Florida...the east coast version of southern california
    3) Big East
    4) In the heart of Fertile recruiting ground
    5) Not very long history to convince their fans, coaches, players, and media that they suck and will always suck so they become a self fulfilling prophecy.
    6) Recently created program with BRAND NEW stadium perfect to get people fired up
    7) Top 10 enrollment nationally

On second thought maybe they were made to have a football team in this day and age. Of course a lot of sarcasm here but I don't necessarily think these guys are the flagship example for smaller schools to emulate.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by everyyard View Post
    3) Big East
    5) Not very long history to convince their fans, coaches, players, and media that they suck and will always suck so they become a self fulfilling prophecy.
    6) Recently created program with BRAND NEW stadium perfect to get people fired up

On second thought maybe they were made to have a football team in this day and age. Of course a lot of sarcasm here but I don't necessarily think these guys are the flagship example for smaller schools to emulate.
    You are right about some of this but dead wrong on many points:

1)you are correct
    2)USF is in Tampa...that is not "southern Florida"
    3)you are correct if you mean the Big East sucks at FB but we live in a glass house in the Big 12 North...really shouldn't be throwing stones here
    4)you are correct...however, it is very very competitive...which is why they have to use the tactic listed in point 1
    5)FYI...nobody in Tampa Bay really "cares" about USF FB...they really don't have a big fan base
    6)Playing in Raymond James means nothing...and as state before, there is no passion for USF football in the metro area...last year I believe they averaged 20-25,000 fans a game at home
    7)Yes, they have a big enrollment but they are very much a "commuter school"...again not a lot of student passion for the school's sports

Frankly, a school like ISU has so many more selling points to use than a school like USF it is not even funny.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 321

Quote Originally Posted by everyyard View Post
    3) Big East

I'd be really careful about being judgmental about the Big East, especially by the time Jan 2 was over they shut all of the experts everyone up:

Rutgers d. Kansas St (Texas Bowl)
    S. Florida d. E. Carolina (PapaJohns.com Bowl)
    Cincinnati d. Western Michigan (Int'l Bowl)
    West Virginia d. Georgia Tech (Gator Bowl)
    Louisville d. Wake Forest (Orange Bowl, BCS)

Ok, I get the S. Florida and Cincinnati games weren't exactly blockbuster wins, and you can lump Rutgers as playing in a less than stellar bowl against less than stellar competition, but as ISU fans who exactly are we to judge? We've had our own difficulty in less than desired bowls (if I have to bring it up, against Alabama in the Independence Bowl and Boise St. in "whatever they were calling the bowl in Boise at the time" Bowl). Go 5-0 in bowls, including a win against a Big XII team, 2 wins against the ACC (both which are considered better conferences) and a BCS win, you earn my respect as a conference.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

My understanding is that Miami Florida is a very good academic school. I considered attending there out of high school.

Maybe things are different for their football team, or have changed overall in the last 10 years,.

Addict
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,415
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 45

Quote Originally Posted by herbicide View Post
    My understanding is that Miami Florida is a very good academic school. I considered attending there out of high school.

Maybe things are different for their football team, or have changed overall in the last 10 years,.
    How dare you?! Athletes don't get treated differently!

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I'd be really careful about being judgmental about the Big East, especially by the time Jan 2 was over they shut all of the experts everyone up:

Rutgers d. Kansas St (Texas Bowl)
    S. Florida d. E. Carolina (PapaJohns.com Bowl)
    Cincinnati d. Western Michigan (Int'l Bowl)
    West Virginia d. Georgia Tech (Gator Bowl)
    Louisville d. Wake Forest (Orange Bowl, BCS)

Ok, I get the S. Florida and Cincinnati games weren't exactly blockbuster wins, and you can lump Rutgers as playing in a less than stellar bowl against less than stellar competition, but as ISU fans who exactly are we to judge? We've had our own difficulty in less than desired bowls (if I have to bring it up, against Alabama in the Independence Bowl and Boise St. in "whatever they were calling the bowl in Boise at the time" Bowl). Go 5-0 in bowls, including a win against a Big XII team, 2 wins against the ACC (both which are considered better conferences) and a BCS win, you earn my respect as a conference.
    One thing you fail to take into account is that most of these bowl matchups (save the BCS bowls) are determined by your ranking in conference...so one game might be Big 12 #4 against C-USA #2 (just for example's sake). Generally speaking the top teams from the "lower tier" conferences are slotted against the middle-to-lower teams from the "BCS" conferences. Additionally, some of the BCS conference teams are not all that excited to be playing in a lower tier bowl and they end up "mailing it in" while the school from the lower tier conference is doing handsprings just because they made it to the bowl. I can't argue with your facts but I do think you need some context.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 259

USF also has 44,000 students, a little larger than most universities. Tampa is one of the better areas of Florida. (9th)

I would think we would get better recruits if we could win nine games a year for 3 years. If Gene is as dood as expoected, he should be able to make that happen starting in 2012. Just a wait. like the Cubs winning the World series.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.