Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Hard Floors Question

I had a bamboo floor installed in the last year. The original installer laid a board that had a noticeable flaw/crack in it, which I didn't notice until it was too late. I complained about it, so the place I purchased the flooring from sent another installer to rip out that board to replace it. Unfortunately, after they removed that board, they couldn't get any of the others to fit. They were all too wide. So they trimmed the board down so it would fit temporarily until another extra board shrunk down enough to fit. We've let the extra boards set on the main level where the flooring is installed for probably the last 8-9 months. The installer has stopped back periodically to check whether the extra boards have shrunk enough to install, but each time, including today, none of the boards had apparently shrunk enough. So he doesn't think he'll ever be able to replace the board. The board that needs replaced is almost in the middle of the house, so he says he'd have to tear and replace everything to the other side of the house. He has proposed getting a kit to fill in the edges of the board they shaved the edges off to make it fit. Apparently some sort of wax sealant that you heat up? Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone has any other solutions besides tearing everything out and starting again? It doesn't look terrible, but I'd like to have it look perfect given what I spent on the materials and installation.

Secondly, this installer has pointed out how the previous installer nailed down the end/starting boards. He claims he glues those boards down instead of nailing them down. What's the right way to lay a floor? Nail down the first board or glue it down? Again, this is a strand woven bamboo floor.

I'm just ticked that I had so many issues with how the floor was installed given how much I spent on it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 429
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 14

Re: Hard Floors Question

gluing the first row down sounds like a pain in the *** and a waste of time (waiting for it to dry)

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,203
    Given: 116

Paging CyclonePride to the flooring aisle.

Legend
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 563
    Given: 308

Ship it to China and have the Panda's eat some of the bamboo until it's short enough

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136
    Given: 67

Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    +1

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by jeff0514 View Post
    I had a bamboo floor installed in the last year. The original installer laid a board that had a noticeable flaw/crack in it, which I didn't notice until it was too late. I complained about it, so the place I purchased the flooring from sent another installer to rip out that board to replace it. Unfortunately, after they removed that board, they couldn't get any of the others to fit. They were all too wide. So they trimmed the board down so it would fit temporarily until another extra board shrunk down enough to fit. We've let the extra boards set on the main level where the flooring is installed for probably the last 8-9 months. The installer has stopped back periodically to check whether the extra boards have shrunk enough to install, but each time, including today, none of the boards had apparently shrunk enough. So he doesn't think he'll ever be able to replace the board. The board that needs replaced is almost in the middle of the house, so he says he'd have to tear and replace everything to the other side of the house. He has proposed getting a kit to fill in the edges of the board they shaved the edges off to make it fit. Apparently some sort of wax sealant that you heat up? Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone has any other solutions besides tearing everything out and starting again? It doesn't look terrible, but I'd like to have it look perfect given what I spent on the materials and installation.

Secondly, this installer has pointed out how the previous installer nailed down the end/starting boards. He claims he glues those boards down instead of nailing them down. What's the right way to lay a floor? Nail down the first board or glue it down? Again, this is a strand woven bamboo floor.

I'm just ticked that I had so many issues with how the floor was installed given how much I spent on it.
    I've never heard of gluing over top of a floor you could nail. I suppose it would look nicer, but you should have your quarter round cover that nailing up anyways. Nailing allows for some expansion and contraction that gluing doesn't. Although they glue to slabs, so I don't see the big deal either way.

As for replacing the board, why can't they just cut it to the desired size needed? I don't know much about bamboo, but is there something that prevents you from cutting it along the length of the board? Just doesn't seem that difficult to rip it to the size needed and then put it in place.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 58

So what happened to the "original" installer? Has the flooring place offered to pay for new flooring?

Addict
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 743
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51

Quote Originally Posted by JY07 View Post
    gluing the first row down sounds like a pain in the *** and a waste of time (waiting for it to dry)
    With the flooring nailers being angled, you can't get one in without hitting the wall. So either glue it in or nail it by hand. It's much easier to get it straight with adhesive.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    With the flooring nailers being angled, you can't get one in without hitting the wall. So either glue it in or nail it by hand. It's much easier to get it straight with adhesive.
    Either pre-drill - which I would recommend when hand nailing hardwood anyways or just do what I did and grab your pneumatic finish nailer. I would think any professional floor guy would have this tool.

Gluing is an option, not saying that it isn't. It just sees like an incredible waste of time waiting for that starter row to set up.

Rookie
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 264
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re:Hard Floors Question

They did trim the board to fit temporarily. It just doesn't look as clean of a fit. In hindsight I would have lived with the flaw in the original board. I just can't believe they didn't check the widths of the potential replacement boards before taking the original one out.

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

The original installer also did a sloppy job on trim so the current installer replaced all the trim.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 985
    Given: 524

Quote Originally Posted by jeff0514 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    Gluing or nailing the starter row really doesn't make a whole lot of difference with your scenario. Glue is usually impractical unless you have time to let it set up before moving on to the next step. The only thing (in my opinion) it saves is face nails in the starter row.

Are you trying to patch this with the exact same material from the original install? If so, it sounds like your floor may have expanded just a bit (due to acclimation to your particular humidity level), causing this spot in the floor to be just a bit narrow (softer material can sometimes actually compress due to the pressure of expansion). Sounds like they're probably worried about where in the expansion cycle your are.

Either way, my solution would be to shave exactly what you need off the board to replace (back cutting a bit if necessary to allow it to tip down (tongue into groove) and in). Assuming your material has a slight bevel, this can be remade using a 45 degree router bit. I would seal this raw edge with some form of urethane to protect it.

As far as wax sealant, I'm really not sure what's up with that. Are they suggesting that to seal the gap between boards? Because the rest of your floor does not have that seal, as the boards need to move around freely. Anyway, hope that helps.

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

And maybe I should have mentioned that when I said that he nailed down the first row he nailed through the top of the board and not on the side with a nailer like the rest the boards were nailed.

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

They already trimmed a board to fit, although they probably could have done it a little more carefully. They filled in the gaps with putty. This was supposed to be temporary until the other replacement boards shrunk. He said the sealant is some sort of kit sold at the wood smiths store that would give it a better finished look than the putty.

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

And they did not try to replicate the bevel as you suggested. Just trimmed it, placed it in, and filled it with putty.