Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 11

Re: GBW v KU

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    They had respectable Big 10, Big East, MVC, and ACC teams on the schedule. Other than GT, they were just really bad teams this year.

However, the committee goes by SOS heavily. And their SOS was not good. It is also why the Big 12 got 7 teams due to their collective SOSs.
    SOS yes. Few big schools will play them preseason especially in Green Bay -- but we should! The Horizon League is an average mid even with UWGB. As for this UWGB/UK game coming too early in the tourney, I say it happens all the time.

I think UWGB fans are a little more noxious than most, whilst adjusting to their success. There were things I heard saturday that I haven't ever heard visiting fans scream. Since I am from Wisconsin, I don't know what to say -- apologize or say 'that's sports today as it's always been.' (Clone fans are not like this in my experience unless they strongly provoked). And, to avoid tinitus I wear ear plugs and could still here the lady in the section to my left ranting.

I see no need to vilify Bollant (BOW-lent) or fault him. We would be lucky to have such a great coach if ever their was a need. Most of his players are from WI and they are skilled, well-coached, tenacious and team orientated. Just think if Bollant had the resources ISU could provide.

As I said at the start of the season UWGB is not a top ten team and with the loss of Wojta and Quilling may be even hurting next year even with the furious frenetic effort they the remaining bring.

Walk On
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by kcdc4isu View Post
    If they want respsct then schedule tougher teams in the pre-season and don't hide behide the argument that teams will not do a home/away with them. First do the away games and "beat all the big teams" (if they can) and get the respect they think they deserve and they will get the home/away games they want.
    I suspect no one wants to even play them at home once! Cursed by their success. Most of my area were rooting for UWGB by the end of the game. You have to be impressed by the hustle and commitment of their players, and the obvious teaching skills of the coaching staff. Wojta looked like Megan Taylor on steroids. Entertaining brand of ball, once you aren't on the receiving end of it...

Walk On
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 260
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

I heard during the game that a sister of one of the current players is going to play for GB. Coach must not be that bad to play for if a girl will choose him even after getting an inside view of what it is like.

Pro
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 550
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by StClone View Post
    SOS yes. Few big schools will play them preseason especially in Green Bay -- but we should! The Horizon League is an average mid even with UWGB. As for this UWGB/UK game coming too early in the tourney, I say it happens all the time.

I think UWGB fans are a little more noxious than most, whilst adjusting to their success. There were things I heard saturday that I haven't ever heard visiting fans scream. Since I am from Wisconsin, I don't know what to say -- apologize or say 'that's sports today as it's always been.' (Clone fans are not like this in my experience unless they strongly provoked). And, to avoid tinitus I wear ear plugs and could still here the lady in the section to my left ranting.

I see no need to vilify Bollant (BOW-lent) or fault him. We would be lucky to have such a great coach if ever their was a need. Most of his players are from WI and they are skilled, well-coached, tenacious and team orientated. Just think if Bollant had the resources ISU could provide.

As I said at the start of the season UWGB is not a top ten team and with the loss of Wojta and Quilling may be even hurting next year even with the furious frenetic effort they the remaining bring.
    Seems they had short memories of ISU cheering on their team to upset Virginia.

In general, GB fans in general are some of the worst. Just wear non-WI or non-Packer stuff in the east part of this state. Brutal.

Just to give you an idea of the culture here, on casual friday at the company I was recruited to work for here of about 150 employees, we could wear sports apparel. I didn't realize that meant Gb, WI or Marquette apparel only, as I was reprimanded for wearing a Chiefs shirt, and told I was setting a bad example of rebelliousness to my staff and other employees, and that it wasn't about showing your pride for your team, but for your heritage/culture of being a Wisconsinite.

All-Star
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbears View Post
    I suspect no one wants to even play them at home once! Cursed by their success. Most of my area were rooting for UWGB by the end of the game. You have to be impressed by the hustle and commitment of their players, and the obvious teaching skills of the coaching staff. Wojta looked like Megan Taylor on steroids. Entertaining brand of ball, once you aren't on the receiving end of it...
    The only way they are ever going to get the big teams to come to GB is to go play them on the road. I would bet you money if they approached Pat or Geno, they would both take their teams to GB and play. I would think Tara would do the same.

It all comes down to $$$$, and looking at this years schedule for GB, most of their non-conference games are trips they can take by bus. I do have to say they did go to Puerto Rico this year, but otherwise, they are bus trips.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by StClone View Post

UWGB as a team would not have survived Big 12 play this year. One of the reasons many of the mid-major teams do so well come tourney time, is they simply are not as beat up.

We all know that are starters were banged up, Pop, Anna, Chaz, and Loz.

Big 12 - no off nights. no nights to rest injuries. no nights to rest players. no off nights.

Heck, that is one of the reasons I think the Big East, ACC, and SEC have better success sometimes, they get those nights where their stars can sit out a whole half of a game, or they can choose to rest someone and not risk destroying their season.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Three4Cy View Post
    The only way they are ever going to get the big teams to come to GB is to go play them on the road. I would bet you money if they approached Pat or Geno, they would both take their teams to GB and play. I would think Tara would do the same.

It all comes down to $$$$, and looking at this years schedule for GB, most of their non-conference games are trips they can take by bus. I do have to say they did go to Puerto Rico this year, but otherwise, they are bus trips.
    Yeah, I don't know if any big name schools far away would "pay" for UWGB to come to town.

All-Star
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 728
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by EHdakota View Post
    I heard during the game that a sister of one of the current players is going to play for GB. Coach must not be that bad to play for if a girl will choose him even after getting an inside view of what it is like.
    Who?

Walk On
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 260
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

UWGB as a team would not have survived Big 12 play this year. One of the reasons many of the mid-major teams do so well come tourney time, is they simply are not as beat up.

Big 12 - no off nights. no nights to rest injuries. no nights to rest players. no off nights.

Heck, that is one of the reasons I think the Big East, ACC, and SEC have better success sometimes, they get those nights where their stars can sit out a whole half of a game, or they can choose to rest someone and not risk destroying their season.
    I saw a picture in the Des Moines paper, I believe, of the team coming off the court. Pop had blood running down her leg.

Starter
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

So very true! And this year was even more extreme for the Big 12 with the 18-game conference season and no bye weeks. That has to take a toll not only physically but mentally.

It's probably tough on coaches too. No doubt Goestenkors was impacted by the rigor of the Big 12 compared to the ACC (among other issues).

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re:GBW v KU

In reference to their non conference schedule, two bottom Big 10 teams, of which WI had a first yr coach and Illinois let their coach go this year. The mid major teams listed are one bid leagues of which those two teams are not consistently at the top of their own conferences.

I couldn't understand why GB wasn't warned as the one assistant did sit in a chair all night.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by Buster28 View Post
    Green Bay was given a seed that was representative of their season's work. While their RPI was 22, their SOS was a measly 150. They played only two teams in the RPI top 50 (winning both) and only three top 100 teams after December 8th (all vs 98 RPI Detroit, losing one). They don't play more than one or two teams worth mentioning, but somehow think that by virtue of having a 30-1 record going into the NCAAs merits a seed better than what they consistently get.
    If all it takes is to look at numbers, then just have a computer seed the teams. Why have a committee at all? No need to discuss teams - just punch in data! People are supposedly on there to analyze the teams and rank them.

Green Bay returned a ton from last year's Sweet Sixteen squad, including their top player. No reason at all to ignore their record and give them an insulting 7 seed, but yet the ignorant committee did.

Last edited by Tornado man; 03-20-2012 at 10:37 PM.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    If all it takes is to look at numbers, then just have a computer seed the teams. Why have a committee at all? No need to discuss teams - just punch in data! People are supposedly on there to analyze the teams and rank them.

Green Bay returned a ton from last year's Sweet Sixteen squad, including their top player. No reason at all to ignore their record and give them an insulting 7 seed, but yet the ignorant committee did.
    When the committee chair specifically stated during his chat on ESPN.com after the brackets were released that their SOS of 159 was the # 1 reason for the # 7 seed, I think it's pretty obvious.

Ignore their record, 24 of their 30 regular season wins came against teams with an RPI of 100+. Here are the # 7's & 6's tell me why they deserve better.

Green Bay - RPI - 22, SOS - 159
    Opponents RPI - 179 average
    Of their 30 wins 24 are against teams outside the RPI top 100 (80%)
    Conference RPI # 13

DePaul - RPI 20, SOS-15
    Opponents RPI - 96 average
    12 of 22 wins against teams outside the RPI 100
    Conference RPI - 3

Louisville - RPI 23, SOS-47
    Opponents RPI - 105 average
    15 of 22 wins against teams outside the RPI 100
    Conference RPI - 3

Vandy - RPI 28, SOS 30
    Opponents RPI - 112 average
    17 of 22 wins against teams outside the RPI top 100
    Conference RPI - 2

# 6's
    Oklahoma - RPI 27, SOS-12
    Opponents RPI - 85 average
    9 of 20 wins against teams outside the RPI top 100
    Conference RPI - 1

Rutgers - RPI 13, SOS 14
    Opponents RPI - 86 average
    12 of 22 wins against teams outside the RPI top 100
    Conference RPI - 3

Arkansas - RPI 33, SOS 48
    16 of 23 wins against teams outside the RPI top 100
    Conference RPI - 2 1 one loss to a team below 150 in the RPI

Nebraksa - RPI 31, SOS 50
    14 of 24 wins against teams outside the RPI top 100
    Conference RPI - 5

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by Three4Cy View Post
    When the committee chair specifically stated during his chat on ESPN.com after the brackets were released that their SOS of 159 was the # 1 reason for the # 7 seed, I think it's pretty obvious.

Ignore their record, 24 of their 30 regular season wins came against teams with an RPI of 100+. Here are the # 7's & 6's tell me why they deserve better.

# 7
    Green Bay - RPI - 22, SOS - 159
    Opponents RPI - 179 average
    Of their 30 wins 24 are against teams outside the RPI top 100 (80%)
    Conference RPI # 13

# 6
    Oklahoma - RPI 27, SOS-12
    Opponents RPI - 85 average
    9 of 20 wins against teams outside the RPI top 100
    Conference RPI - 1
    Well, since ISU played both, I wonder which team the Cyclone players would say was better?
    I doubt a single one would say OU. Not a one.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Well, since ISU played both, I wonder which team the Cyclone players would say was better?
    I doubt a single one would say OU. Not a one.
    Nice deflection, too bad you can't answer the question as to why GB deserved a better seed. Oh, that's right, they didn't.