Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

Know anything about Water Softeners

I had a 64,000 / 2CF resin capacity Fleck 5600 SXT water softener installed in my new house that I bought via the internet. My water hardness is about 8. When I go through the setup process it provides me over 5500 gallons per regeneration cycle. I've also read that long regeneration cycles are not good for the system and 14 days is recommended.

My problem is that we only 3 people in the house, even if we use 100 gallons per day (which I think is excessive) we would only use about 4200. I am wondering if its ok to go past the 104 days or if I can adjust the settings to use less salt, water, and time during the regeneration process given that my over-sized softener shouldn't yet be "full of grains of hardness".

If you're an expert, my settings are Backwash = 10, Brine Draw = 60, Rapid Rinse = 10, and Brine Fill =16.

I suspect this will not be a popular subject if I get any responses at all... but I can't seem to find any valuable information on the internet so just thought I would give this a shot.

Thanks,

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

Re: Know anything about Water Softeners

I have heard that water softeners soften water. Can anyone back me up on this?

"Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game"

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37

I've had a 32,000 capacity Fleck 5600 SXT for a couple years now (installed it myself after the cheap kenmore that a previous owner put in crapped out) and haven't regretted it a bit. Other than that, I have nothing to add.

All-Star
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Balls View Post
    I had a 64,000 / 2CF resin capacity Fleck 5600 SXT water softener installed in my new house that I bought via the internet. My water hardness is about 8. When I go through the setup process it provides me over 5500 gallons per regeneration cycle. I've also read that long regeneration cycles are not good for the system and 14 days is recommended.

My problem is that we only 3 people in the house, even if we use 100 gallons per day (which I think is excessive) we would only use about 4200. I am wondering if its ok to go past the 104 days or if I can adjust the settings to use less salt, water, and time during the regeneration process given that my over-sized softener shouldn't yet be "full of grains of hardness".

If you're an expert, my settings are Backwash = 10, Brine Draw = 60, Rapid Rinse = 10, and Brine Fill =16.

I'm not an expert, but on ours I can adjust the gallons between recycling. Another way is to lower the grain setting and have it cycle faster. I believe ours is set around 1100 gallons per regen. We chew through 7-8k gallon a month with a family of five. The wife runs the washer and dishwasher every night so I doubt you would burn through 100/day. Check the manual and see if you can turn down the amount of gallons.
    I suspect this will not be a popular subject if I get any responses at all... but I can't seem to find any valuable information on the internet so just thought I would give this a shot.

Thanks,

All-Star
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I hate iPads once in a while. My response is the last paragraph of yours in my first post.

Pro
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by CloneFan319 View Post
    I have heard that water softeners soften water. Can anyone back me up on this?
    I can confirm

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,327
    Given: 571

I bought one of these on the advice of...hell, I don't know, some jackwagon. My complaint....My water has gone completely soft. I was just screaming at the faucet the other day: "Harden up, you gawdammed *****!"

OP...thanks for the opportunity to go a little silly. Not making fun, just having fun...sorry, I got nothing on your issue. Had a friend install mine, plumber adjusted it when the water heater crapped out....but this is a challenge to CF. You can get the answer to anything on here. I'm sure there's some food science people that must know something about water treatment systems.

So if nothing else, I kept the thread on the front page for a little longer. As my wife says, at least I'm good for something. Wait, she doesn't say that...oh bother.

Last edited by 00clone; 03-20-2012 at 01:49 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

Appreciate the responses. I may call a plumber and investigate although I have found most times they know less about their products then they admit. Otherwise I may just play around with it for the next couple months and see what works best. Thanks again.

Pro
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,486
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 25

This is why God invented plumbers.

Judas, I feel like I should have double majored in Hydrodynamics and organic chemistry just to read your *** **** post.

Quote Originally Posted by Balls View Post

Thanks,