Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 5

2007-2008 Cyclone Hockey Thread

I thought it would be a good idea to start a hockey thread for the few here that are interested. Iowa State is 4-4-0 so far this season with the losses coming on the road against Top 10 teams.

The team is really young this year (13 freshmen, 9 sophomores, 3 juniors, 1 senior) so their inexperience has shown at times. However, there have been some real sparks of chemistry over the past few games which is a good indication that this team should be harder and harder to play against as the year goes on.

Sophomore Pete Majkozak had the second four-goal game of his Iowa State career in a losing effort last week and leads the team in goals and points at the moment.

The next game for the team are Homecoming matches this Friday and Saturday (Oct. 19-20) at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena with the opening face-off at 7:30 p.m. each night. Fans wearing red get a dollar off admission on Friday night and there will be giveaways from Wilson Scion of Ames as well.

Has anyone else caught any of the games this season?

TRUE AND VALIANT

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 0

Re: 2007-2008 Cyclone Hockey Thread

I used to go to games pretty frequently when I was in town, but it's hard to get back to Ames all the time. It's good to hear they are still putting a good team on the ice though, is it still pretty well attended there?

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I used to go to games pretty frequently when I was in town, but it's hard to get back to Ames all the time. It's good to hear they are still putting a good team on the ice though, is it still pretty well attended there?
    Compared to old arena? No, it hasn't been as well attended. That's a consequence of not being able to sell beer at the games.

Compared to other seasons in the new arena? Yes, it's been a very good start to the season. At the end of last year the team saw some really big crowds and that momentum looks to have continued on to this season.

The Iowa/Iowa State game at 95KGGO Arena in Des Moines last year was really rocking too and they'll get a couple chances to pack the DM rinks this season as well. First game is against Michigan-Dearborn on Nov. 3 at 95KGGO. They play there again with Iowa in December and then at Wells Fargo against archrival Illinois in February.

TRUE AND VALIANT

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 2

I've been to one game this season and plan on going Friday night. Hockey games are fun (especially when filled with 2 intermissions for my thirsty mouth)...

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

A couple of big wins for the Cyclones this weekend. Embarassed North Dakota State 15-3 on Friday in front of a big crowd and then brought in the reserves on Saturday en route to a 5-0 victory. Lots of good play by the freshmen this weekend highlighted by backup goaltender getting the shutout last night.

Now we'll just need to see if they can win on the road!

TRUE AND VALIANT

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 27

Is there a club site for hockey that would have the schedule or anywhere else online? I will probably spend several weekends in Ames and it would be nice to squeeze a game or 2 in.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

Giving it a go
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by cloneu View Post
    Is there a club site for hockey that would have the schedule or anywhere else online? I will probably spend several weekends in Ames and it would be nice to squeeze a game or 2 in.
    CycloneHockey.com

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

Addict
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Hopefully one of our great members, CycloneHockey, will return and give us some greeat insight on the team. I know he has taken off to do work for the USA team I believe, but always giving updates about the team.

Well if not, its great to see someone else carrying on the tradition. Thanks Stumpy!

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Iowa State took their first two road victories of the season this weekend with 6-3 and 5-2 wins at Western Michigan in Kalamazoo. They were important wins for the team as they came against not only a Top 25 team but also a Central States Collegiate Hockey League rival.

So the Cyclones are now 8-4-0 on the season overall while going 4-4-0 in the league. Currently they are in second in the CSCHL but they've played more games than most of the teams so they'll need to keep up the winning streak in order to maintain their place in the standings.

The next games are this weekend. The first is on Saturday at 1:30 p.m. at 95KGGO Arena in Des Moines. It runs up against the football game obviously, but it's a good chance to still catch a Cyclone sports game if you can't make it to Jack Trice. The second game is on Sunday at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena at 1:30 p.m. Because of the afternoon time it will make a good time to bring out families, especially if you have younger kids.

As for CycloneHockey (the CF member) I know that he's been hard at work with USA Hockey in Colorado Springs like you mentioned. I've been reading a few of his press releases as they are naming junior select teams at the moment.

TRUE AND VALIANT

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm sorry I missed the football game but the hockey team had a nice win of its own.

The Cyclones took a 9-4 victory over league rival Michigan-Dearborn in Des Moines. It extended Iowa State's winning streak to five, and they looked dominant and FAST. It's a fun team to watch.

Game tomorrow at 1:30 at Ames/ISU Ice Arena.

TRUE AND VALIANT

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Iowa State now has a six-game winning streak and is tied for the League lead in points after an exciting 5-4 win over Michigan-Dearborn to complete the sweep.

Sophomores Pete Majkozak and Brian Spring had a couple of sweet passes and had a goal a piece. Freshman Cort Bulloch brought the Cyclones back from a 2-0 deficit early on with two goals of his own.

Next week Iowa State plays #6 Oklahoma. It'll be a big series so make sure to come out to the games if you get a chance. Games are Friday and Saturday night at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena at 7:30 p.m.

TRUE AND VALIANT

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    Iowa State now has a six-game winning streak and is tied for the League lead in points after an exciting 5-4 win over Michigan-Dearborn to complete the sweep.

Sophomores Pete Majkozak and Brian Spring had a couple of sweet passes and had a goal a piece. Freshman Cort Bulloch brought the Cyclones back from a 2-0 deficit early on with two goals of his own.

Next week Iowa State plays #6 Oklahoma. It'll be a big series so make sure to come out to the games if you get a chance. Games are Friday and Saturday night at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena at 7:30 p.m.
    Sweet. tailgating.....football...more tailgating and a hockey game can't ask for a better day .