Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 135,431, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Naughtius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central IA
    Posts
    2,628
    Points
    135,431
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 6

    AHS in the Dance

    Not sure what the enrollment is for Ames High, but am guessing there aren't too many high schools of its size that can claim to have 4 alumni still participating in the Big Dance.


    "Me not winning isn't important. You do!"

  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 342,214, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    bawbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    19,677
    Points
    342,214
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,311
    Given: 2,304

    Re: AHS in the Dance

    McDermott, Barnes, Bubu and ???

    Who is the 4th?



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 135,431, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Naughtius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central IA
    Posts
    2,628
    Points
    135,431
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 6

    Re: AHS in the Dance

    Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    McDermott, Barnes, Bubu and ???

    Who is the 4th?
    CFH


    "Me not winning isn't important. You do!"

  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 151,237, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    longtimeclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Up north
    Posts
    7,901
    Points
    151,237
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 43

    Re: AHS in the Dance

    I was thinking it was Freddie



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 151,237, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    longtimeclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Up north
    Posts
    7,901
    Points
    151,237
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 43

    Re: AHS in the Dance

    I think it is more impressive that AHS is a public shool and not a prep school known for having a great basketball team.

    It really goes to show how talented that high school team was



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 55,397, Level: 72
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,054
    Points
    55,397
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 69

    Re: AHS in the Dance

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeclone View Post
    I think it is more impressive that AHS is a public shool and not a prep school known for having a great basketball team.

    It really goes to show how talented that high school team was
    This. Prep schools like Brewster always have several guys dancing (off the top of my head Barton, T Robinson, Ejim, and I think Negedu was at New Mexico) but it's really impressivve for a public school to compete numbers-wise.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 99,973, Level: 98
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 1,077
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acgclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    7,317
    Points
    99,973
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 624
    Given: 136

    Re: AHS in the Dance

    Quote Originally Posted by nhclone View Post
    This. Prep schools like Brewster always have several guys dancing (off the top of my head Barton, T Robinson, Ejim, and I think Negedu was at New Mexico) but it's really impressivve for a public school to compete numbers-wise.
    Yes, public and in a small town. Compare that with DC, NYC, etc where you probably have b-ball magnet schools public and private that pull from a very large population....



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 55,397, Level: 72
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,054
    Points
    55,397
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 69

    Re: AHS in the Dance

    Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    Yes, public and in a small town. Compare that with DC, NYC, etc where you probably have b-ball magnet schools public and private that pull from a very large population....
    Wait....we don't consider central Iowa a basketball hotbed anymore?



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 342,214, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    bawbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    19,677
    Points
    342,214
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,311
    Given: 2,304

    Re: AHS in the Dance

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeclone View Post
    I was thinking it was Freddie

    Ah. I read participating as playing. my bad.



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 190,662, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HFCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    14,096
    Points
    190,662
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,173
    Given: 1,377

    Re: AHS in the Dance

    Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    Yes, public and in a small town. Compare that with DC, NYC, etc where you probably have b-ball magnet schools public and private that pull from a very large population....
    With two AA caliber players and two other D1 players (isn't there that kid at Lipscomb) I think it's a pretty safe bet that was the most talented public high school team in the nation. Even at massive public high schools I doubt there are often two AAs and two other D1 players on a roster.



  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 111,681, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUKyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    10,237
    Points
    111,681
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 344
    Given: 989

    Re: AHS in the Dance

    Think AHS was at about 1200 students back when I went there.
    Always nice to hear Little Cyclones doing great things



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 99,973, Level: 98
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 1,077
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    acgclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    7,317
    Points
    99,973
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 624
    Given: 136

    Re: AHS in the Dance

    Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    With two AA caliber players and two other D1 players (isn't there that kid at Lipscomb) I think it's a pretty safe bet that was the most talented public high school team in the nation. Even at massive public high schools I doubt there are often two AAs and two other D1 players on a roster.
    It's a huge advantage having a major university in town though obviously. Fred, Doug, Harrison and Bubu are all ISU related and that's the only reason they were only in Ames because of it.



  13. #13
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 26,975, Level: 50
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 575
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    rhino3382's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    15 min South of Hilton
    Posts
    307
    Points
    26,975
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 4

    Re: AHS in the Dance

    Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    With two AA caliber players and two other D1 players (isn't there that kid at Lipscomb) I think it's a pretty safe bet that was the most talented public high school team in the nation. Even at massive public high schools I doubt there are often two AAs and two other D1 players on a roster.

    umm yeah, about that....

    http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...-lipscomb.html



  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 68,528, Level: 81
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,222
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SE WI
    Posts
    4,999
    Points
    68,528
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 0

    Re: AHS in the Dance

    Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    It's a huge advantage having a major university in town though obviously. Fred, Doug, Harrison and Bubu are all ISU related and that's the only reason they were only in Ames because of it.
    Isn't that true of any school near a major employer, though? Maybe with the exception of Doug, who came to Ames specifically as the son of a basketball coach (and was therefore more likely to be a good player) but that happens at the high school level just as much. That's how Nick Collison ended up in Iowa Falls.



  15. #15
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 26,975, Level: 50
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 575
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    rhino3382's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    15 min South of Hilton
    Posts
    307
    Points
    26,975
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 4

    Re: AHS in the Dance

    Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    Isn't that true of any school near a major employer, though? Maybe with the exception of Doug, who came to Ames specifically as the son of a basketball coach (and was therefore more likely to be a good player) but that happens at the high school level just as much. That's how Nick Collison ended up in Iowa Falls.
    and jon lickliter at iowa, oops, confused this with high school caliber players playing on d1 teams



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: ESPNU
  • Iowa State @ Texas Tech
  • January 24, 2015
  • 03:00 PM