SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 0

Ankeny TV antenna question

I'm close to pitching this to my wife:

FRYS.com*|*CHANNEL MASTER LLC

Cheap, functional DVR that can be used for OTA broadcasts.

Switch to Mediacom internet for ESPN3. (virtually the only reason I want any sort of cable is for sports and ESPN3 is good enough for me.)

The problem for me is that the reason we got satellite in the first place is because my reception on the OTA stations is utter garbage and channel 5 (again, my cyclone sports/Big 12 station) basically doesn't exist OTA. Is there a good antenna that I could use? It works fine upstairs but our TV is in the basement and it's just a dead zone.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 392
    Given: 49

Re: Ankeny TV antenna question

Indoor or outdoor?

This is what I have in Ankeny, it is outdoors, not too ugly, and works fantastically.

Winegard MS2002 Metrostar VHF/UHF Amplified Omnidirectional TV Antenna (MS-2002) from Solid Signal

I do not use the amplifier. Honestly, if you want to sell her on the idea, get an OTA TiVo. Of course then you have a monthly fee, so it kinda defeats the purpose.

Last edited by brianhos; 03-14-2012 at 09:22 PM.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Starter
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 590
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 86

and channel 5 is at a different angle than 8 and 13. check out this site.

AntennaWeb - Home

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than selfish and worry about my liver."
    --by Jack Handy

Prospect
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post

Switch to Mediacom internet for ESPN3. (virtually the only reason I want any sort of cable is for sports and ESPN3 is good enough for me.)

The problem for me is that the reason we got satellite in the first place is because my reception on the OTA stations is utter garbage and channel 5 (again, my cyclone sports/Big 12 station) basically doesn't exist OTA. Is there a good antenna that I could use? It works fine upstairs but our TV is in the basement and it's just a dead zone.

Prospect
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post

I have the dtv PAL OTA dvr. Channel Master bought the rights to and marketed the same thing under the name Channel Master 7000. Now they have a newer version called 7400. If you can get the 7000 at Frys for $149 as the website suggests its a steal.

I live in Polk City and have a Channel Master 2016 antenna mounted in my attic. You can get it at Wal-Mart.com or delivered site to store. No amplifiers and I have no problem getting over 22 OTA channels. I also had trouble with 5.1 and 5.2 when I used rabbit ears but an attic antenna will give you no problems.

The only thing I miss is ESPN but will go to the bar when I have to watch a game. What is this ESPN3 you speak of? Via the internet?

If you are thinking of cutting the cable/sattelite I highly recommend it. My wife and I made the switch when we realized 95% of what we watched were the major networks. You can have the HD OTA for FREE. Again, I miss the ESPN but will look into this ESPN3?