Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Question for ISU fans

Why is it that ISU fans are convinced that Babb will shut down Lamb but on the same hand no one can cover White???

As to Lamb, he seems to get his points regardless of who is covering him, The Big East does play some tough defense, I have never seem Babb play so you guys might be right but I would be very interested in conversation that tells me why you consider Babb to be a super defender, like who else has he shut down and how that player compares to JL.

Also White, From what I see he's a tough match up, But Calhoun in the past has had success designing game plans, think Elton Brand and Shaq, Also as far as White bringing ball up I would assume that Uconn is not pressing so it doesn't matter.

Other than Babb shutting down Lamb how do you see ISU defending Napier and Drummond without fouling etc

I see this game as a Tossup, that is Uconn could play well and still Lose,, I just don't get the Lamb will be totally shut down but no one can stop White? seems a little naive, no?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 5

Re: Question for ISU fans

Baylor/Mizzou/Kansas >>>>>>>>UConn.

..and Babb shut down their star.

the end.

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,118
    Given: 586

Quote Originally Posted by awmuconn View Post
    Why is it that ISU fans are convinced that Babb will shut down Lamb but on the same hand no one can cover White???

As to Lamb, he seems to get his points regardless of who is covering him, The Big East does play some tough defense, I have never seem Babb play so you guys might be right but I would be very interested in conversation that tells me why you consider Babb to be a super defender, like who else has he shut down and how that player compares to JL.

Also White, From what I see he's a tough match up, But Calhoun in the past has had success designing game plans, think Elton Brand and Shaq, Also as far as White bringing ball up I would assume that Uconn is not pressing so it doesn't matter.

Other than Babb shutting down Lamb how do you see ISU defending Napier and Drummond without fouling etc

I see this game as a Tossup, that is Uconn could play well and still Lose,, I just don't get the Lamb will be totally shut down but no one can stop White? seems a little naive, no?
    We've seen Babb do this over and over and over. As far as shutting down White? It's really an either/or scenario. If he's not scoring, he'd happily rack up the assists all day. Doesn't care. I'm still not convinced that Babb will be on Lamb. Several times this year he has shut down one guy, and then moved over to whoever the hot hand was and shut him down the rest of the game.

To stop the dribble penetration, we are going to need a lot better help defense than we've seen to this point, though I have a hard time believing the UConn is better than Missouri at this (they drove the lane like crazy, but we still hung in there the whole game).

Walk On
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

White can be shut down but Babb can shut down anyone. We do not rely on White to score a lot of our points.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,447
    Given: 1,243

Someone will get something with more detail.

Essentially, Babb makes life miserable for our opponent's best perimeter player. You see a lot of horrible shooting nights against Babb that you don't see against other teams.

Royce tends to be a step quicker than the guys that guard him on the perimeter. I agree that his bringing it upcourt by itself won't be the key factor. It's what he does running the offense that's a key factor.

If your guys "overhelp," then Royce will find a lot of open shooters, or Ejim just under the rim. If not, it's a different story for our offense.

I'm really looking forward to this game. I think we're going to set blood-pressure records with this one.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,100
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 50

Babb has taken the other team's best wing out of the game all season in the half court set. These are players like Rodney McGruder of K-State, Denmon for Mizzou, Pierre Jackson for Baylor, J'Covan Brown, etc.

Nobody has proven to have much of an answer for White so far.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 8

I hope Babb can handle Lamb. That'll be the key matchup. Lamb is pretty tough and Babb will have his hands full.

That being said, Royce is a tough guy to cover due to versatility. UConn has its own matchup problems though with Oriachi and Lamb though so... should be a good game. That's why its an 8-9 game.

Pro
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 445
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 83

No particular reason, you will find that some posters on here spout off stuff to make themselves feel better about the game. Don't take it personally, I'm sure you have the same thing in Connecticut, really looking forward to the game, I think it's a great match-up.

Go Cyclones!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by jay moe View Post
    No particular reason, you will find that some posters on here spout off stuff to make themselves feel better about the game. Don't take it personally, I'm sure you have the same thing in Connecticut, really looking forward to the game, I think it's a great match-up.
    And don't rough up our mascot...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 22

We aren't the world beaters some are giving the impression of but we can beat anyone on a given night.

How the refs call the game will be huge as will if we can get open looks from and knock down the 3's.

I fully expect UCONN will be a handful and could very well handle us. Don't know until you play the game though.

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,100
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 50

Also, guarding Royce is an issue. The big man guarding him can't just hang out by the basket even though Royce struggles with outside shooting. The guy guarding him has to play him straight up because of all the dribble handoffs to shooters. The guy guarding Royce has to be there to hedge out on shooters. At the same time, if the guy guarding Royce can't stay in front of him, Royce will drive it to the basket and either dunk it or dump the ball to Ejim for a layup

All-Star
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 852
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Someone will get something with more detail.

Essentially, Babb makes life miserable for our opponent's best perimeter player. You see a lot of horrible shooting nights against Babb that you don't see against other teams.

Royce tends to be a step quicker than the guys that guard him on the perimeter. I agree that his bringing it upcourt by itself won't be the key factor. It's what he does running the offense that's a key factor.

If your guys "overhelp," then Royce will find a lot of open shooters, or Ejim just under the rim. If not, it's a different story for our offense.

I'm really looking forward to this game. I think we're going to set blood-pressure records with this one.
    I'm thinking this too. Really thinking this could be one of the more exciting match ups, at least among the 8/9's.

Addict
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 15

Ask Marcus Denmon of Missouri in the first game ISU played against Missouri in which he only got 6 shots off the entire game, and only made one of them through 39 minutes. He ended up with 6 points, because we fouled him twice in the last minute to try and win/tie the game.

Ask Jackson of Baylor after Babb was put on him in the 2nd half after he dropped 30 points on another defender through a half and some minutes. Jackson could barely get a shot off in over 10 minutes of play with Babb on him and i'm pretty sure he either didn't make any or made only 1 of the shots.

You could pretty much ask any team the same question, minus a few games maybe. Some stats are misleading as well. For example, he might have been on J'Covan Brown last game, but brown also went 7-19 from the field that game, and 3-16 in another.

As far as White goes. You can shut him down for scoring but he's going to find open shooters/cutters if you do that. He's been doing that all year to every team. Our coach has told him to stop being so selfless before because he loves to pass the ball. He's already recorded a triple double this year, and a few other games he was close to having one. There was one game where he scored 2 points, but we still won because he had about 7 or 8 assists. He might be a big man, but he passes and when he's on his game, you will be shocked at some of the passes he's able to make.

Last edited by marothisu; 03-12-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

An honest question for the original poster...do UCONN fans ever get frustrated with the way that Lamb looks disinterested in the offense until its time for him to go find his shot? He doesn't move unless he is trying to get open for his shot.

Walk On
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think the OP has some valid questions, but as far as White goes, its not just ISU fanatics -always have to take that into considerations- but some pretty knowledgable basketball minds like Bill Self who called White a "match-up nightmare"

As far as Babb we've just seen him hold scorers of the other team down all year. I'm sure Lamb will get points-scorers generally do but we just don't anticipate a big game from him as all his points will likely be hard-gotten.