Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Syria

The media continues to fixate on Iran and its nuclear program.

For what ever reason the media has largely ignored the Syrian nuclear program, Israel's attack on the nuclear site, and the alleged North Korean involvement in Syria's nuclear program.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 245

Re: Syria

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    The media continues to fixate on Iran and its nuclear program.

For what ever reason the media has largely ignored the Syrian nuclear program, Israel's attack on the nuclear site, and the alleged North Korean involvement in Syria's nuclear program.
    It has to be intentional. We hear about the Middle East any time someone passes wind, but something like this, that should be first page news, is barely mentioned. I'm not sure what the agenda there is, but it's something.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    It has to be intentional. We hear about the Middle East any time someone passes wind, but something like this, that should be first page news, is barely mentioned. I'm not sure what the agenda there is, but it's something.
    I agree. I still can't believe someone in the media isn't stirring the pot, now that the cat is out of the bag. Either that, or the Israelis/Syrians are doing such a good job keeping this under raps, its setting Guinness world records right now.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by herbicide View Post
    I agree. I still can't believe someone in the media isn't stirring the pot, now that the cat is out of the bag. Either that, or the Israelis/Syrians are doing such a good job keeping this under raps, its setting Guinness world records right now.
    Israel wouldn't surprise me in that regard. They don't exactly have the kind of leaks that we do (rampant). They also don't seem to make a big fuss over what needs done. They just go and do it. It seems that every time some dude from Hamas chucks a rocket over the fence at them, or they do the same back, it is headline news. Then they bomb a nuclear site in Syria, and hardly anyone mentions it?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I can understand why Syria is trying to cover it up, so maybe its as simple that there is no hard facts (yet leaked out) about it.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by herbicide View Post
    I can understand why Syria is trying to cover it up, so maybe its as simple that there is no hard facts (yet leaked out) about it.
    True........Syria probably doesn't want to talk, Israel could care less about whether the media gets their questions answered. I don't watch a whole lot of tv news anymore, so maybe this is the case, but you would think that everyone would be rushing to put together a panel about what this means in the grand scheme of things. It should be a very, very hot topic.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 5

Bush wants to attack IRAN. He is the one keeping the focus on Iran. Bush is feeding the Media. The Media will feed the Bush propaganda to the people.....just like they did with Iraq.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Darn right! Everyone knows that IRAN is populated entirely by peaceful little cute pink bunnies. It's not like IRAN doesn't respect national boundaries and property rights, calls for the extermination of an entire race of people and have military agents covertly in every country in an entire region or something.

A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

A Man Is What He Does When It Counts

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by herbiedoobie View Post
    Darn right! Everyone knows that IRAN is populated entirely by peaceful little cute pink bunnies. It's not like IRAN doesn't respect national boundaries and property rights, calls for the extermination of an entire race of people and have military agents covertly in every country in an entire region or something.
    Cut off your nose to spite your face. I don't like Iran anymore than the next guy. But to invade Iran would be ultimately insane. For one thing, we don't have things resolved in Iraq. Opening up another war front doesn't make sense.

We need a few more good men, Herbiedoobie. Join up.

Thanks for the negative rep. Ouch, it really hurt.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    Cut off your nose to spite your face. I don't like Iran anymore than the next guy. But to invade Iran would be ultimately insane. For one thing, we don't have things resolved in Iraq. Opening up another war front doesn't make sense.

We need a few more good men, Herbiedoobie. Join up.

Thanks for the negative rep. Ouch, it really hurt.
    I >can't< "join up". They don't let people who are still IN the military join again. 25 years, still in, and if I were 18 again, I'd be back at it for another run. I'm too old and senior-ranked to do the "fun" jobs anymore, plus the knees and back aren't what they used to be.

It seems to be, the only people "talking" about intervening militarily appear to be Bush-haters; (and Sarkozy) Bush himself keeps talking about diplomacy.

If we strike Iran, it should be, at most, a raid. I'd be up for a ground raid into Iran, and then a "Lie back in Iraq and kill the Iranians as they cross the border" kind of thing. We easily have the capability to remove their military and let them KEEP their country.

I reserve negative rep for those who are maliciously not adding materially to the conversation. I give positive rep, too, even if I don't agree.

Starter
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 512
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I >can't< "join up". They don't let people who are still IN the military join again. 25 years, still in, and if I were 18 again, I'd be back at it for another run. I'm too old and senior-ranked to do the "fun" jobs anymore, plus the knees and back aren't what they used to be.

It seems to be, the only people "talking" about intervening militarily appear to be Bush-haters; (and Sarkozy) Bush himself keeps talking about diplomacy.

If we strike Iran, it should be, at most, a raid. I'd be up for a ground raid into Iran, and then a "Lie back in Iraq and kill the Iranians as they cross the border" kind of thing. We easily have the capability to remove their military and let them KEEP their country.

I reserve negative rep for those who are maliciously not adding materially to the conversation. I give positive rep, too, even if I don't agree.
    But what if the Iraqi government invites the Iranians? What scares me about Iran is not that they are homocidal maniacs, but that they seem to be playing the regional politics very well. They have been fueling the much discussed Sunni/Shia divide for their own benefit, and by doing so have driven a wedge into the Arab world that they are utilizing to the fullest. It's been a long time since a shah of persia had as much influence in Bagdad as the current Iranian government.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 198

How on earth would this work? We currently have 160,000 troops in Iraq fighting locals. We don't have any more troops. How could we have a battle line to stop Iran from crossing the border when we would constantly be attacked from behind the line? How do you defend the borders of a country you are currently fighting a war in with the same number of troops?

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

A BIG THANK YOU for serving in our military. And I sincerely mean it. It is out of my concern for the military and our country that I don't want to see us go half-cocked into Iran. I respect differences of opinion and won't get into the game of negative rep for those I disagree with.

I think it would be a BIG mistake to get into any conflict while we are in Iraq. Probably a big reason why we should have just kept Saddam in his box. I think that Iran's biggest foe in their eyes is Israel. Building coalitions with friendlier Arab Nations will help keep Iran in check. Our War in Iraq has emboldened Iran to make many of the moves they are making. Opening another front while our resources are already stretched will embolden possibly even bigger threats to develop (like the Chinese and Russia). We need to be a little smarter and abandon our "Cowboy Diplomacy".

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Actually, with the current deployments and force ratios, we could obliterate the Iranian armed forces in a long weekend.

The problem with Iraq is that we are fighting a low intensity war against people we want to live with someday, in diplomatic terms. It's a LOT harder to kill one guy in a house, than it is to annihilate a tank battalion. And right now, it is necessary to kill that one guy without killing the family that is living there.

Current US power against a CONVENTIONAL army, like the great majority of the Iranian army/air force would be a walkover.

And Iran's conventional army is not a concern, even if our forces in theater had to take them on.

I don't see Iranians and Iraqis living in "harmony". They would be fighting each other for the next 1000 years. I suggest that the thermal reaction would make what Iraqi insurgents are doing to us look like play time at kindergarten.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Last edited by Cyclonepride; 10-22-2007 at 05:12 PM.