Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Jay Bilas' Expert Predictions

Recently announced on ESPN:

Elite 8: 1 v 2, 1 v 2, 1 v 2, 1 v 2

Final 4: 1 v 1, 1 v 1

National Championship, the two top 1 seeds Kentucky and Syracuse.

The winner: Overall #1 Seed Kentucky

Must have used all his expert analysis to make those daring predictions....Can I please have his job?

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,752
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Re: Jay Bilas' Expert Predictions

I thought Duke was supposed to provide a top-notch education? I can see the attraction of picking all the #1 seeds to advance, since they ARE seeded #1 for a reason, but ALL the #1 and #2 seeds advancing? Has that ever happened? Ever?

(I probably should have done something more grandiose for my 1,000th post, but this will have to do)

Last edited by CYlent Bob; 03-12-2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: CYlent Bob passed a posting milestone
    "Correct me if I'm wrong, Scotty.......but if I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key!" Carl Spackler

KFitzy87

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone22 View Post
    Recently announced on ESPN:

Elite 8: 1 v 2, 1 v 2, 1 v 2, 1 v 2

Final 4: 1 v 1, 1 v 1

National Championship, the two top 1 seeds Kentucky and Syracuse.

The winner: Overall #1 Seed Kentucky

Must have used all his expert analysis to make those daring predictions....Can I please have his job?
    Well it's not like he's going to just throw in a 3 seed or higher for the hell of it.. Obviously there's good reason he made those picks...

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 40

This bracket really isn't set up for much of an upset, I could see this being close.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 137

Quote Originally Posted by istater7 View Post
    This bracket really isn't set up for much of an upset, I could see this being close.

It never is, but they happen every year.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,150
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 24

He made fun of himself for doing it and said last time he went chalk, 07 or 08, he was completely right.

Pro
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,005
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by megamanxzero35 View Post
    He made fun of himself for doing it and said last time he went chalk, 07 or 08, he was completely right.
    '08 was the Kansas/UNC/Memphis/UCLA #1 seed superfecta.

It was pretty clear that year that those were the four best teams. The separation between the 1s and 2s are a little more blurry this year, in my opinion. Except for Duke. Duke sucks.

Addict
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,374
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212
    Given: 511

"This bracket really isn't set up for much of an upset, I could see this being close."

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Exactly. It almost always looks like the seedings will hold true - for a reason; it's seeded pretty much how it's expected to go.

Sometimes it plays out closely to that, occasionally it completely blows apart. Usually, it's a combination.

A smart analyst would figure out where to go chalky, and where to find surprises. Picking the top seed to win it and high seeds to reach Final 4 is no place for criticism, since that's a typical good guess. Going too far the other way (no No. 1's in Final Four) is grasping at straws.

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 329
    Given: 304

Quote Originally Posted by istater7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    I've never seen a bracket like this before. Obviously upsets happen every year; but this year there aren't really any games that you circle and say "prime upset candidate". The only two that are even close to that for me in are the Harvard/Vandy (my 12/5 upset) and Purdue/St. Mary's.

This has easily been the toughest bracket I've ever filled out, simply because I feel like such an idiot for picking so few upsets.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclones500 View Post
    "This bracket really isn't set up for much of an upset, I could see this being close."

Exactly. It almost always looks like the seedings will hold true - for a reason; it's seeded pretty much how it's expected to go.

Sometimes it plays out closely to that, occasionally it completely blows apart. Usually, it's a combination.

A smart analyst would figure out where to go chalky, and where to find surprises. Picking the top seed to win it and high seeds to reach Final 4 is no place for criticism, since that's a typical good guess. Going too far the other way (no No. 1's in Final Four) is grasping at straws.
    That's actually not true, statistically speaking. All four #1's have made it to the Final Four just one time ('08). There have been three occasions when none of the #1's made it (1980, 2006, and 2011).

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Addict
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,374
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212
    Given: 511

Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    I've never seen a bracket like this before. Obviously upsets happen every year; but this year there aren't really any games that you circle and say "prime upset candidate". The only two that are even close to that for me in are the Harvard/Vandy (my 12/5 upset) and Purdue/St. Mary's.

This has easily been the toughest bracket I've ever filled out, simply because I feel like such an idiot for picking so few upsets.
    It might not apply at the top end, but beyond that I would attribute that in part to so many "non-power" conference teams being seeded higher than big-6. (6) SD State vs. (11) NC STate; 7-10 St. Mary's-Purdue; 7-10 Gonzaga-West Virginia. ... and so many "little guys" being at 5 (Wichita State, New Mexico & Temple). Upsets will happen, but some of them won't "feel" like upsets.

What that might mean in 7/10 vs. 2 range, though — we could see 10's like WVa & Purdue and 11's like Texas & NC State blast through to Sweet 16.

Starter
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by KFitzy87 View Post
    Well it's not like he's going to just throw in a 3 seed or higher for the hell of it.. Obviously there's good reason he made those picks...
    Anybody who has never watched a college basketball game could make those picks. Like this is the final 4 because these are the 4 best teams. Solid prediction bro.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclones500 View Post
    It might not apply at the top end, but beyond that I would attribute that in part to so many "non-power" conference teams being seeded higher than big-6. (6) SD State vs. (11) NC STate; 7-10 St. Mary's-Purdue; 7-10 Gonzaga-West Virginia. ... and so many "little guys" being at 5 (Wichita State, New Mexico & Temple). Upsets will happen, but some of them won't "feel" like upsets.

What that might mean in 7/10 vs. 2 range, though — we could see 10's like WVa & Purdue and 11's like Texas & NC State blast through to Sweet 16.
    I'd agree with this completely. I've picked Purdue in a couple brackets, and NC State in one. Like I said, I can't remember a bracket like this, with so many mid-majors with higher seeds.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 614
    Given: 389

Quote Originally Posted by CYlent Bob View Post
    I thought Duke was supposed to provide a top-notch education? I can see the attraction of picking all the #1 seeds to advance, since they ARE seeded #1 for a reason, but ALL the #1 and #2 seeds advancing? Has that ever happened? Ever?

(I probably should have done something more grandiose for my 1,000th post, but this will have to do)
    What is even funnier is how many of the top 8 teams lost this week....

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 568
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 14

Jay Bilas is garbage. Just a good-for-nothing Duke homer. Does anyone follow him on Twitter? I unfollowed him b/c he never tweeted about basketball. Only rap lyrics and tweets about being "trill".

a/s/l?