Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

Late thoughts on Kansas City

(yeah I know it's late. I just got back late this afternoon, and I was internet-free by choice since Wednesday morning)

1. Iowa State fans made an impact. I had fans from damn near every team tell me that they were impressed as hell at ISU's showing. I had a great conversation with a KSU fan last night who was so impressed by the KSU-ISU games that he was comparing them to the late-80s matchups between those teams.

2. While there are d-bag Mizzou fans who wore "SEC" shirts to this year's tournament and booed the commissioner while the trophy was being presented, all the personable ones we talked to thought that leaving the conference was a bad idea.

3. The Power & Light district has almost completely killed the momentum of Westport. We stopped by Kelly's every night, and Wednesday was the only one that could be considered "busy" by historical standards. And even then it's only "Sunday afternoon" busy.

4. If anyone visited the Dubliner down at the P&L district, what's your thoughts on the "slutty Catholic Schoolgirl uniforms" that the waitresses there wear? I'm for 'em. One of the waitresses last night had a visible "tramp stamp" tattoo that looked EXACTLY like an Outback Steakhouse bloomin' onion appetizer. My reaction? "Great. Now I'm Horny AND Hungry."

5. Our group ran into Scotty's dad at Johnny Wilson's after the Texas game. He was very cool, and very complementary of the ISU crowd's affection for the team.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, Scotty.......but if I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key!" Carl Spackler

Starter
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 602
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 15

Re: Late thoughts on Kansas City

I REALLY hope the Big 12 keeps the tourney there after 2016 but i'm afraid its not gonna happen

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

It was a good time. My first experience at the Big XII tourney and first experience at the bar life of P&L. Friday night went to a bar to watch the MU/UT game with a MU friend and talked to some MU fans that wanted to play us. All of them said that ISU was a good team and sad they won't play us anymore. With all the positives came the big negative though for MU as they booed the comish and Kim English wearing his SEC shirt. Very classless.

Also talked to some UT fans at a restaurant in KC and congratulated them on the win Thursday. They were an older bunch and said that ISU has the classiest fans in the league and they thought we had a hell of a team and future.

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 113
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 8

Texas and Oklahoma drive the bus. Without a football championship game to keep them fat, dumb, and happy in Dallas, the best we can hope for is a rotation.

All-Star
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

I talked mostly to Kansas fans and Missouri fans. The KU fans I talked to really praised our team. They said it is good for the tournament and good for the conference for ISU to be good in bb. As one fan put it, "ISU has one of the few fan bases that cared about BB". Most of the Mizzou fans I talked to were not pro SEC. They seemed to acknowledge the Kansas City thing for them is over. Since most of the Mizzou fans I talked to were not pro SEC, I was surprised to here them being class jerks towards the Big 12 in the championship game.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 415
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 64

Quote Originally Posted by dabears32 View Post
    I REALLY hope the Big 12 keeps the tourney there after 2016 but i'm afraid its not gonna happen
    The Big 12 tourney belongs in KC. I hope to make down to KC soon for the tourney. I spend a fair amount of time in KC and would like to be in tourney atmosphere.

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I hope KU can drive the bus for basketball...... Along with a little K State influence and us... :)

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,752
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

The idea of having the men's & women's tournaments in separate cities is dumber than "Greedo shooting first", new Coke AND Baylor's new day-glo uniforms all rolled up together.

Next year, we're going to see what crowds looked like in the pre-Fennelly era. Except for Baylor, who gets a "home field advantage" by playing in Dallas. So the "2013 Big 12 Women's BB Tournament" should be renamed the "Baylor Invitational".

"Correct me if I'm wrong, Scotty.......but if I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key!" Carl Spackler

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Texas just cares about football and Oklahoma now has an NBA team so they don't care that much anymore.... IMO

Addict
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 2

1. Buying all-session tickets Thursday morning was a disastrous plan. Couldn't dump the Session 2 tickets at all, even with KU and KSU in there. Bad timing being in the middle of the day. We all know the ISU result, so we dumped the rest of the tickets. Got a fair price for Session 4 tickets. KU losing screwed us out of a bunch of money since they were selling all of their tickets. We were gambling on a KU-MU final (if ISU wasn't there of course). Oh well, lost that bet.

2. P&L District is nice, but not the place to spend more than one night at. Way too crowded and the drinks are way too weak for what you have to pay for them. Maybe we were at the wrong spots.

3. This was my first true Westport experience (only other time was my 21st birthday on a weeknight and it was pretty dead). Kelly's is my new favorite bar. All of the ISU fans I met there were great, and everyone else was pretty friendly as well (the ladies, who you could actually dance with and talk to). Cheap drinks, good bartenders, full but not overcrowded, and open until 3 AM. There was never a point in which I felt like I shouldn't be walking down the street to my hotel at night. As safe as anywhere else in a big city.

4. God Bless Jeff Johnson, but he had another disastrous attempt at leading the ISU fans at the pep-rally in the P&L district Thursday evening. Takes a perfectly good I-S-U chant and keeps inserting "Cyclones" in it to throw off the rhythm and kill it. Then tries Cyclone-Power and is trying to point to different sections of ISU fans to have them chant when some people couldn't even see him (I couldn't). Here's a hint Jeff, K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple, Stupid).

5. ISU had a bunch of fans there. We would have had a TON of fans there Friday night if we would have beaten Texas and had the chance to play MU.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 631
    Given: 394

What did you receive for those session 4 tickets? Scalpers wanted $250 for session 4.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.