Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 736,546, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,940
    Points
    736,546
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,547
    Given: 736

    The evils of capitalism

    While our government is running around trying to penalize Microsoft, isn't it interesting what they might do with that extra money if they were allowed to keep it? And no, I refused to take my "share" of the BS Iowa lawsuit on general principle.

    Gates Foundation gifts $100 million for grants - More Health News - MSNBC.com

    Ooops.......posted in off topic. Move me if you must ;)


    Last edited by Cyclonepride; 10-17-2007 at 01:21 PM.

  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 174,241, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alaskaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,204
    Points
    174,241
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Re: The evils of capitalism

    It is interesting that for all the flak that WalMart is receiving on this board, that Microsoft escapes a similar wrath. They are ruthless in their business dealings. Furthermore, the legality of many of their business dealings is questionable and are the reason for the government's lawsuits.

    Link: Microsoft the Company



  3. #3
    Starter
    Points: 7,638, Level: 26
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 512
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    840
    Points
    7,638
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The evils of capitalism

    Yes, but Microsoft doesn't directly affect the shopping experience of most people. I think the strong opinions of the Wal-Mart thread are largely influenced by whether people like the low, low, prices, or whether they are spooked by some of their more interesting clientele.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,308, Level: 75
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,075
    Points
    59,308
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The evils of capitalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    While our government is running around trying to penalize Microsoft, isn't it interesting what they might do with that extra money if they were allowed to keep it? And no, I refused to take my "share" of the BS Iowa lawsuit on general principle.

    Gates Foundation gifts $100 million for grants - More Health News - MSNBC.com

    Ooops.......posted in off topic. Move me if you must ;)
    So... exploiting monopolies is fine so long as you give some money away? I'm not sold until he gives some of that money to me.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 736,546, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,940
    Points
    736,546
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,547
    Given: 736

    Re: The evils of capitalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    So... exploiting monopolies is fine so long as you give some money away? I'm not sold until he gives some of that money to me.
    I would question whether an intellectual property such as a computer operating system could be a monopoly. There is nothing preventing other companies from developing a better one.



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,308, Level: 75
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,075
    Points
    59,308
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The evils of capitalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I would question whether an intellectual property such as a computer operating system could be a monopoly. There is nothing preventing other companies from developing a better one.
    An operating system is a prime market in which to develop a monopoly. The need for compatibility between different types of software leads to an initial winner retaining massive market share despite offering a crappy product. (A similar logic applies to why we use a QWERTY keyboard, which has been demonstrated to be inefficient). It is rather widely recognized that Microsoft already basically has a monopoly with regards to operating systems despite the fact that Mac and Linux are better. Many of the lawsuits stem from the fact that Microsoft protects its monopoly by using it to prevent competition from rival software makers.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 736,546, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,940
    Points
    736,546
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,547
    Given: 736

    Re: The evils of capitalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    An operating system is a prime market in which to develop a monopoly. The need for compatibility between different types of software leads to an initial winner retaining massive market share despite offering a crappy product. (A similar logic applies to why we use a QWERTY keyboard, which has been demonstrated to be inefficient). It is rather widely recognized that Microsoft already basically has a monopoly with regards to operating systems despite the fact that Mac and Linux are better. Many of the lawsuits stem from the fact that Microsoft protects its monopoly by using it to prevent competition from rival software makers.
    Don't go throwing facts and stuff around. You're not going to change my opinion.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,308, Level: 75
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,075
    Points
    59,308
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The evils of capitalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Don't go throwing facts and stuff around. You're not going to change my opinion.
    Reality has a well known liberal bias. -Stephen Colbert



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 452,837, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,746
    Points
    452,837
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 280
    Given: 39

    Re: The evils of capitalism

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    It is interesting that for all the flak that WalMart is receiving on this board, that Microsoft escapes a similar wrath. They are ruthless in their business dealings. Furthermore, the legality of many of their business dealings is questionable and are the reason for the government's lawsuits.

    Link: Microsoft the Company
    I am not worried about m$ like I am wal mart. The average peon does not buy any of their products. They are built on selling to IT shops like I work in. We are moving everything we can away from microsoft. Wal-Mart on the other hand is evil.


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 452,837, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,746
    Points
    452,837
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 280
    Given: 39

    Re: The evils of capitalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    So... exploiting monopolies is fine so long as you give some money away? I'm not sold until he gives some of that money to me.
    It works for the phone companies.


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,308, Level: 75
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,075
    Points
    59,308
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The evils of capitalism

    Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    It works for the phone companies.
    Sure does. Last I heard Bill Gates got passed up by a Mexican guy who owns the telecommunications monopolies in that country.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 736,546, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,940
    Points
    736,546
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,547
    Given: 736

    Re: The evils of capitalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Reality has a well known liberal bias. -Stephen Colbert
    Liberals and reality? Maybe through their rose colored glasses, while taking a hit off the bong and listening to Imagine by John Lennin. That is their reality.



  13. #13
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,384
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The evils of capitalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    An operating system is a prime market in which to develop a monopoly. The need for compatibility between different types of software leads to an initial winner retaining massive market share despite offering a crappy product. (A similar logic applies to why we use a QWERTY keyboard, which has been demonstrated to be inefficient). It is rather widely recognized that Microsoft already basically has a monopoly with regards to operating systems despite the fact that Mac and Linux are better. Many of the lawsuits stem from the fact that Microsoft protects its monopoly by using it to prevent competition from rival software makers.
    I don't care if Mac and Linux are "better." I grew up in the world of 1000 operating systems, and it sucked. Each and every one was "better" according to the pointy-headed geeks who loved it for one reason or another.

    Gates just happened to be the "right guy at the right time" to provide stability and interoperability.

    As a student of technology history, technical trivia geeks alternatively humor me and p*ss me off. Mac and Linux are "better" like the U of I's best quarterback is the backup.



  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,308, Level: 75
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,075
    Points
    59,308
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The evils of capitalism

    Quote Originally Posted by herbiedoobie View Post
    I don't care if Mac and Linux are "better." I grew up in the world of 1000 operating systems, and it sucked. Each and every one was "better" according to the pointy-headed geeks who loved it for one reason or another.

    Gates just happened to be the "right guy at the right time" to provide stability and interoperability.

    As a student of technology history, technical trivia geeks alternatively humor me and p*ss me off. Mac and Linux are "better" like the U of I's best quarterback is the backup.
    Mac and Linux are better in that they are more stable and secure (I knew a guy that used his Linux computer to collect viruses, he had hundreds of them). Mac's ease of use is also often considered superior to Windows. As you alluded to, the only thing that Windows really has going for it is that it is the most compatible with everything else. It happens to be the most compatible with everything else because it is by far the most common, so everything else is made to be compatible with it.



  15. #15
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,384
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The evils of capitalism

    I'll grant you stability. But isn't at least "some" of Mac's stability because they are on Mac systems? (at least according to my computer tech)

    I've always believed a lot of Linux's security was due to the fact that so few people operated using it, therefore there isn't a lot of people building viruses for them.


    A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.


    A Man Is What He Does When It Counts

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM