Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 18,493, Level: 41
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    670
    Points
    18,493
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 243

    The difference between a 7 and a 10 seed

    I keep hearing people say they want either a 7 or a 10 seed and that they are essentially the same thing. I think there is a huge difference in the first round. If you are 7 seed you are going to be playing the 37th to 40th best team in the tournament, but if you are a 10 seed you will play the 25th to 28th best team. That is a big difference.

    Granted, any future rounds are the same, but there is a larger 1st round difference than many people are making it out to be. Now, I think we can beat any team in the 7 to 10 range, but I would much rather play a 10 seed in the first round than have to play a 7 seed.



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 140,793, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,509
    Points
    140,793
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The difference between a 7 and a 10 seed

    what is negative three? alex


    Last edited by rebecacy; 03-11-2012 at 12:41 PM.

  3. #3
    Starter
    Points: 18,493, Level: 41
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    670
    Points
    18,493
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 243

    Re: The difference between a 7 and a 10 seed

    Quote Originally Posted by rebecacy View Post
    what is three? alex

    Well played... The correct "question" would actually be "What is negative 3?"



  4. #4
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The difference between a 7 and a 10 seed

    Quote Originally Posted by rebecacy View Post
    what is three? alex
    Correct lets see what you wagered? Texas with a dollar sign...



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 140,793, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,509
    Points
    140,793
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The difference between a 7 and a 10 seed

    fixed



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 154,606, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    ISUCyclones2015's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Akron, OH > Ames > Dallas
    Posts
    7,357
    Points
    154,606
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,247
    Given: 387

    Re: The difference between a 7 and a 10 seed

    Seeds 8 and 9?



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 84,602, Level: 90
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 948
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC/Chicago
    Posts
    6,659
    Points
    84,602
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 225
    Given: 62

    Re: The difference between a 7 and a 10 seed

    Quote Originally Posted by every_yard View Post
    I keep hearing people say they want either a 7 or a 10 seed and that they are essentially the same thing. I think there is a huge difference in the first round. If you are 7 seed you are going to be playing the 37th to 40th best team in the tournament, but if you are a 10 seed you will play the 25th to 28th best team. That is a big difference.

    Granted, any future rounds are the same, but there is a larger 1st round difference than many people are making it out to be. Now, I think we can beat any team in the 7 to 10 range, but I would much rather play a 10 seed in the first round than have to play a 7 seed.
    Rankings only mean so much and don't tell the story without statistics and supporting evidence/stories. Let's take an example outside of the sports world. Let's say you are 50th in your graduating class out of 100. Does that mean you were average? Not necessarily. The GPA difference between #1 and #25 could only be 0.05 and the difference between #25 and #50 could be the same. You could have easily had a 3.9 GPA while everyone above you had a 3.9 or better.

    Rankings only mean so much, but after awhile they are kind of useless if you don't have any statistics to back them up with.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 140,793, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,509
    Points
    140,793
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The difference between a 7 and a 10 seed

    Now Ill take bracketology for $400, Alex



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 140,793, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,509
    Points
    140,793
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The difference between a 7 and a 10 seed

    Quote Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
    Rankings only mean so much and don't tell the story without statistics and supporting evidence/stories. Let's take an example outside of the sports world. Let's say you are 50th in your graduating class out of 100. Does that mean you were average? Not necessarily. The GPA difference between #1 and #25 could only be 0.05 and the difference between #25 and #50 could be the same. You could have easily had a 3.9 GPA while everyone above you had a 3.9 or better.

    Rankings only mean so much, but after awhile they are kind of useless if you don't have any statistics to back them up with.
    What is quality is not linear? Alex



  10. #10
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The difference between a 7 and a 10 seed

    honestly though when I'm filling out my bracket i always feel like the 7,10, or 8,9 are complete shots int he dark. either team could easily win.



  11. #11
    Prospect
    Points: 4,588, Level: 19
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18
    Points
    4,588
    Level
    19
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The difference between a 7 and a 10 seed

    I would rather be an 10 seed than an 8 or 9 seed. Second round match up is more desirable. I don't think there is a huge difference in quality of teams in the 7-10 range.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 365,859, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    16,826
    Points
    365,859
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,063
    Given: 4,999

    Re: The difference between a 7 and a 10 seed

    Quote Originally Posted by every_yard View Post
    I keep hearing people say they want either a 7 or a 10 seed and that they are essentially the same thing. I think there is a huge difference in the first round. If you are 7 seed you are going to be playing the 37th to 40th best team in the tournament, but if you are a 10 seed you will play the 25th to 28th best team. That is a big difference.

    Granted, any future rounds are the same, but there is a larger 1st round difference than many people are making it out to be. Now, I think we can beat any team in the 7 to 10 range, but I would much rather play a 10 seed in the first round than have to play a 7 seed.
    The difference between the 25th best team and the 40th best team is not much at all. The difference between the best team and the 5th-6th best team is.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 44,437, Level: 65
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,113
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,758
    Points
    44,437
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 39

    Re: The difference between a 7 and a 10 seed

    It makes absolutely no sense to look at anything but the 1st round game at this point. All the focus should be on winning the game in order to advance. If you don't, it's over.

    If you win, repeat the process for the next round. If you insist on getting hung up on the seed, turn it into a positive. Eliminate the higher seed and you assume their slot in the bracket.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 365,859, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    16,826
    Points
    365,859
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,063
    Given: 4,999

    Re: The difference between a 7 and a 10 seed

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    It makes absolutely no sense to look at anything but the 1st round game at this point. All the focus should be on winning the game in order to advance. If you don't, it's over.

    If you win, repeat the process for the next round. If you insist on getting hung up on the seed, turn it into a positive. Eliminate the higher seed and you assume their slot in the bracket.
    It absolutely makes no sense for you to be arguing with us over the internet, but you're here.



  15. #15
    Recruit
    Points: 4,739, Level: 20
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    76
    Points
    4,739
    Level
    20
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 0

    Re:The

    I would rather be a 10 then an 8 or 9.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: ESPN
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Texas
  • February 13, 2016
  • 07:30 PM