Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 35

Is Good the Enemy of Better?

Early in the year I was one of the guys saying the Royce needed to play more inspired. I said that it seemed he could get so much more out of himself if he played with a little fire. Through the year I saw times that he turned it on and he made people look silly when he did. His gaudy numbers and the fact that you just can't help but like the guy lulled me to sleep and I was transfixed by the Royce Show (except for at the line of course). Now don't get me wrong, I can't say enough good about the guy as far as the way he seems genuine and makes himself available to fans. He seems to really enjoy interacting with CyclONE Nation. Also, I would be nuts to not love the numbers he puts up and all the things he can do on the court!

Is good the enemy of better? I figure this won't be a very popular take as even with all the love I have given him in the opening people will think I am knocking him or hating. I am not! I just am curious to see if anyone else thinks that with a little inpiration and effort he could be not only All Big XII but All-America? The area I notice it most (how he has 9.2 RPG is beyond me) is on the boards. It seems like he never is fighting for postion or even watching the ball when it is shot. Half the time he is already backpedaling to the other end. I think of Kenneth Fared (sp?). I know Fared is a special rebounder and not everyone is like him. But a little effort would be nice.

To close, I will again say the I love Royce's numbers and his personality. I think the kid will go far in whatever he plans to do (including but not limited to basketball). He is certainly not the only one either, just the most talented and therefor most glaring IMO...I am now taking cover for the impending **** storm

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 347
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Re: Is Good the Enemy of Better?

I will say, during the Texas game, there were quite a few rebounds where he just watched and had his feet flat on the floor.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 56

You are right, sometimes it looks like he may not be trying to hard for every rebound and he does make a questionable decision now and then. The other night vs. Baylor he would be standing with his back to the hoop at the free throw line and the lane was wide open.. instead of turning and at least checking he looked straight for a passing option. There are little things like this I would like to see him improve on and think he will.

That said, there are so many things he does well it can be easy to nit pick at the little flaws that we notice. You also have to take into account the situations this stuff happens. He was in foul trouble the other night vs Texas when I noticed him not going all-out after rebounds. There is probably a happy medium there between not picking up a stupid foul and making a solid attempt but I feel like he was erring on the side of caution, which is smart basketball IMO

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 362
    Given: 0

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by CYphyllis View Post
    I have no idea what you are trying to say.
    I think what he is trying to say is that there are times when Royce appears to be sleep walking out there. If he tried harder, he would be the player everyone in the country is talking about. An other words, he could do better. This is something we have heard from Big 12 coaches as well so there is truth to it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 910
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 17

I think this is actually due to his anxiety. He has stated he does not like to do sprints at the end of practice because it brings back the memories of his cousin collapsing. I really don't think Royce is in that great of basketball shape because of that. Having panic disorder myself, it is very hard to do things back where they first started. Just think about it, his started on a basketball court and he is still playing on a basketball court. Right now a lot of it is probably mental, I think he will only get stronger the more he plays.

Recruit
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 468
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

While I agree that at times he is a little tentative I think he gets a bad rap. Some parts of his game look so effortless that it looks like at times he is not trying which is untrue. He has learned that he cannot pick up fouls going for rebounds and the fact he is so strong makes it difficult to jostle for position without risking a foul. If him and another player bump into each other to battle for position a lot of other players will fall over making it look like he pushed them...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 175

Yes it seems at times he bored on the court. IMO White is a smart player and when he locks his mind in on a game he is outstanding, but when his mind is just a little off or he gets frustrated his mind loses that lock. The reason he gets so many rebounds is because he has a natural knack for the ball and he can basically knows where the ball is going to be before it is there.

In summary it is all mental for him. How else can you shoosh a FT then the very next shot airball it.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Walk On
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 370
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree with alot that has been said and some of it hadn't even thought of! The idea he is protecting himself from foul trouble being one of them. Thank you for everyone's views. Also, the anxiety deal. It is hard for any of us to even start guessing what affect that has. The point about it affecting his running while it may seem like a stretch at first glance (which it did to me) I wouldn't say it isn't a possibility as I am not Royce nor do I suffer from anxiety disorder. The idea that he is so good that it's easy to notice flaws is another good point.

Also, Royce is not the only one. Chris Allen seems to sulk and pout if things aren't going his way. He can be so good and then make a bad play or two and you can just see the wind come out of his sails. I hope they can all lift each other up and agree that they need to play with more emotion. Because I feel that talentwise we can certainly make some noise in the NCAAs. Just look at it. We played as bad as we had all year against Texas and were in the game the whole time. I look for this team to bounce back and win some more games!

GO CLONES!!!

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 11

Also consider that players are often a reflection of their coaches. Hoiberg isn't an incredibly emotional coach, nor was he as a player. Maybe Royce just has a real cool demeanor about him and that is why you don't see the intensity. As far as the lack of hustle thing, yeah I would be willing to bet that has something to do with his anxiety.

A little of topic here but does anyone else thing Booker looks ****** off all the time? I kind of like it. He just seems to be an intimidating guy.

Walk On
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by LegendofRodA View Post
    Also consider that players are often a reflection of their coaches. Hoiberg isn't an incredibly emotional coach, nor was he as a player. Maybe Royce just has a real cool demeanor about him and that is why you don't see the intensity. As far as the lack of hustle thing, yeah I would be willing to bet that has something to do with his anxiety.

A little of topic here but does anyone else thing Booker looks ****** off all the time? I kind of like it. He just seems to be an intimidating guy.
    I would agree that what you day about Fred leading by example is a valid point. As far as Fred is concerned I have wondered if maybe his heart condition plays a role in his calmness at courtside. Did a doctor say, "Fred, you can't be going all Bob Knight out there"? I like his calmness even if there is times that I would be hollering at refs. He also seems to show the fire when he needs to!

As for Booker, yes he seems to be tough! I also like it, the meanstreak is good at times. Just gotta keep it in check so he doesn't get T'd up like he did earlier in the year. Which it seems he has it under control.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,569
    Given: 2,087

Quote Originally Posted by tigerclone924 View Post
    I would agree that what you day about Fred leading by example is a valid point. As far as Fred is concerned I have wondered if maybe his heart condition plays a role in his calmness at courtside. Did a doctor say, "Fred, you can't be going all Bob Knight out there"? I like his calmness even if there is times that I would be hollering at refs. He also seems to show the fire when he needs to!

As for Booker, yes he seems to be tough! I also like it, the meanstreak is good at times. Just gotta keep it in check so he doesn't get T'd up like he did earlier in the year. Which it seems he has it under control.
    The heart condition isn't stress related, and Fred said immediately upon his hiring that stress doesn't impact it. It's just something that's naturally there for him.

Fred's always been a calm guy. That's how he played and how he coaches. Heart has nothing to do with it.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Walk On
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    The heart condition isn't stress related, and Fred said immediately upon his hiring that stress doesn't impact it. It's just something that's naturally there for him.

Fred's always been a calm guy. That's how he played and how he coaches. Heart has nothing to do with it.

Right on. Guess I never heard that. Thanks for sharing that, it does make sense.

All-Star
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Royce is so big that his effort and movement is deceptive. Focus on the numbers. Look at highlights of him driving against someone his height - you'll see what I mean. I just hope he works on shots further than 6' out.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,870
    Given: 888

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post

Exactly, and calm on the outside. If you look at his expression when we're goofing up on the floor, it looks like he's about to grit his teeth off. He has self control, and knows how to lead without always yelling, but you can tell he gets his point across with just a look.