Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 241

EYE OF SAURON Analysis

OVERALL OPINION
    The Texas game was a fiasco. The score was an embarrassment. People left at halftime. Players did not chase people back down the field. Colt had a field day. We stunk up the second half. the fans went into a funk.

I rewatched the tape of the game and saw we did much better the first half. The scoreboard was 28-3, but Shaggy should never have missed the fieldgoal, Blythe had a terrible time holding onto the ball at key times, a bad punt, a dumb runback by Sumrall, a holding call, a poor opening defensive paly by Singleton caused the downfall. It could have (as we have said for three or four other games) been different.

The other team knows how to score from the twenty and we do not. They make something out of our turnovers and we do not. Bret is good between the twenties. Perhaps we need another qb when inside their twenty to change things up. We cannot continue to overthrow the fade route and get stuffed on running plays around the twenty so we can miss a fieldgoal. Need better strategy.

FIRST HALF
    The defensive line did well the first half and made some nice stops except for a couple of pitchouts on third down that went for first downs.

Texas was rushing seven people on Bret the first half and the oline held up well. They only had four defenders covering our 3-4 receivers and we could not get open. For our part, we were rushing five players and could not reach Colt. The second half we rushed seven players and still could not reach Colt.

Hamilton slipped on a pass where Texas guy fell down or he could have caught it for a long touchdown. We had about 165 yards offense by half.

Scales does look better runner than Bass at this point.

Sumrall was out due to a shoulder injury. Is he okay?

Barkema did not get much of a chance.
    The misdirection plays worked fine. Why did we not do more of this?

The score could easily have been 17-14 at half instead of 28-3 from what happened on my replay view, but we continue to do bonehead plays, crummy decisions, and not play with an attitude on receiver corps.

Announcers called Shaggy kickoffs pooch kicks. I have another name.

Brandtner had a short punt with the wind. Looked like he was kicking a bowling ball.

SECOND HALF
    The second half was a fiasco as we gave up in front of our home crowd. The saddest moment was when Bret three a one on one pass out to the left side and our player was outsmarted. No one even tried to chase down the Texas defender as he scooted doiwn the sideline. What is up with that?

The second and third string did not bring much to the table. Our offense died out as they rushed with no worries of a big play. Hey, we need a big playmaker receiver. Guess we need to think that Wallace franklin and 4.4 speed could have been used more this year.....we need help on deep routes in order to not let the defnese pile up on us.

Worst half of the season. Looks like the team quit at home like Nebraska did.

SUGGESTED CHANGES

Need to try to play the whole game would be improvement one.

Need to run pass patterns where receivers get more open. If we are slow, we need more diversion.

Bret can be told he will be sat down unless he looks the other way before he can turn and throw to who he has decided to throw too. Reason why our receivers our covered is everyone in the stadium is watching Bret's eyes. he has EYES OF SAURON.

WATER OVER THE DAM

No time to be upset. We must not lose by 53 on Saturday. Hey, we are closer to being respectable. We are failing when we get to the twenty. We need to get an attitude at the twenty that we do not have now.

Looking for some more slant routes.

Would like to see Bret throw touch passes better. Maybe some more rollout with a blocker with Bret?

Special Teams needs to be more aggressive than we are now. Maybe the 3 man backfield punt protection block is negating our abilty to tackle. Kickoffs should be to one side since we cannot cover the whole field with our current crop of tacklers. So what if it goes out of bounds? That might be better.

Go for it on fourth down. We are 1-6.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,470
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 36

Re: EYE OF SAURON Analysis

Sound analysis, but if you ever steal my "Eye of Sauron" message board quip from me again I'll go Gollum on your @$$!!

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Addict
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 578
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

You may have been the first to use all the smileys we have, or darn close!

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Bryceman View Post
    The misdirection plays worked fine. Why did we not do more of this?
    Because then they would be "the-direction plays"

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 739
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 11

OVERALL OPINION

Would like to see Bret throw touch passes better. Maybe some more rollout with a blocker with Bret?
    Seneca could go in either direction and execute a quick release accurate pass with either touch or zip. Bret is no Seneca yet we have seen 3 different offensive coordinators continue to try to roll him out with poor results. Let him put all his efforts into being as good as he can be in the pocket. If pressure comes, go to the hot route.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

OVERALL OPINION

We are failing when we get to the twenty. We need to get an attitude at the twenty that we do not have now.

Looking for some more slant routes.
    This is indicative of McFarlands offense and i've been saying it since the second game. His teams move the ball as do we, they bog down in the red zone because the quick hit offense that is used between the twenty's suddenly changes with play calls and poor execution (Toughness) when the opposing teams players become more confined. The thing i've noticed in watching so many games, for instance, how is it that we run a wide receiver screen and as soon as our WR touches the ball someone's popping him??? It seems what our WR have for talent is seriously lacking in the blocking effort - everyone's included in that statement.

Inside the 20, hey lets try a inside route rather then the fade. Blythe caught an easy TD against KSU because he faked the fade and they respected that route and cut to a wide open middle....How bout a shuffle pass, screen anything other then run, playaction, fade....missed fg.....

Who cares, as long as our guys are busting their a##es, i don't care, i realized a long time ago that this was going to be a long year....

As fans all we should hope for with our remaining schedule (all tough games) is our team to perform better, minimize mistakes, never kick a fg again, and have our team giving it their best, if not (Blythe) sit em down and send a message to the entire team that regardless of who you are, if your not doing the work - your losing your PT!!!!

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I'm not picking on anyone in particular, but I see a lot of people implying that Blythe dropped a TD catch on that fade route. That was clearly not a drop, as the DB on that play made a great effort to dislodge the ball from Todd's grasp. Todd actually had the ball for a split second, then the DB hit him on the elbow causing him to lose his grip. Call it a drop if you want, but I say excellent coverage by Texas.

Now, the pass from Arnaud over the middle in the 4th that he didn't come up with, well that's an entirely different story.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 449
    Given: 307

Quote Originally Posted by mjlane View Post
    I'm not picking on anyone in particular, but I see a lot of people implying that Blythe dropped a TD catch on that fade route. That was clearly not a drop, as the DB on that play made a great effort to dislodge the ball from Todd's grasp. Todd actually had the ball for a split second, then the DB hit him on the elbow causing him to lose his grip. Call it a drop if you want, but I say excellent coverage by Texas.

Now, the pass from Arnaud over the middle in the 4th that he didn't come up with, well that's an entirely different story.
    No that didn't upset me so much. What upset me was in the 2nd quarter, after we had driven down the field, Blythe was on an out pattern to the front left pylon. Literally right after Blythe makes his cut and Meyer throws the ball to the pylon, Blythe just quits on the route. To me, other than the "face rake" catch and his pass completion to Meyer on the reverse pass, him quitting on that route was the epitome of his day, and that was plain unacceptable.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.