Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 139

Mixing it up a little

Since the guards were having issues last night and the bigs were playing so well, would it have worked to go big instead of small? Put a combo of Gibson, Ejim, or Booker with White and go with 2 guards. Make a mismatch for Texas the other way. Make them play to what we want to do instead of us playing to what they wanted to do. It just seems if the 3s are not going down or open, this team is lost and maybe they need something else they can go to.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Starter
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 592
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 3

Re: Mixing it up a little

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Since the guards were having issues last night and the bigs were playing so well, would it have worked to go big instead of small? Put a combo of Gibson, Ejim, or Booker with White and go with 2 guards. Make a mismatch for Texas the other way. Make them play to what we want to do instead of us playing to what they wanted to do. It just seems if the 3s are not going down or open, this team is lost and maybe they need something else they can go to.
    I'm not sure how effective this would be, since Royce does so much work from the outside-in. The other 2 big guys would have to clear the lane out for him to do this, so why have them in? I guess Booker could camp at the arc and wait for an assisted 3 from RW, but Gibson would be uneffective away from the hoop.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 139

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndCyCE View Post
    I'm not sure how effective this would be, since Royce does so much work from the outside-in. The other 2 big guys would have to clear the lane out for him to do this, so why have them in? I guess Booker could camp at the arc and wait for an assisted 3 from RW, but Gibson would be uneffective away from the hoop.

I just think it would have made matchup problems for Texas. But what do I know, just throwing it out there. White was having issues down low it could have taken some pressure off him. It could have also allowed him to do his work away from the basket, IMO that is when he is at his best.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 791
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

but gibson is such a good garbage man around the rim he'dm get his points, he may be the best back to the basket option we have. especially when royce is playing on the wing.
    this lineup might work
    1-allen
    2-scotty
    3-babb/melvin(depending on whether or not the other teams best player is a perimeter player or a big)
    4-royce
    5-percy
    have the shooters play up top and royce and the 3 on the wing/corner and percy in the middle. it would create problems for opponents

"Day after day, situation after situation you do things the right way. If you do things the right way, in life, you are going to be successful. I'm not just your football coach; I'm not just here to win games. I could not be prouder of who we are and who we are becoming, together. You do things right in the classroom, off and on the field; that's whats's makes us Cyclones and that's what our culture's all about."
    -Paul Rhoads

All-Star
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,131
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 24

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndCyCE View Post
    You would have to run set up plays. I think the highlight of this lineup would been getting their lone big man in foul trouble. Rotating Ejim, Royce, and Gibson in post plays and drawing to draw fouls. Keep the 2 guards moving around the perimeter to a position that the big could kick it out as an option.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 628
    Given: 394

It would have been worth a shot but I do not know if we practiced this way yet this year. Next year I would not be surprised to go 3 big at times. I figure Royce will be back.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,131
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 24

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    It would have been worth a shot but I do not know if we practiced this way yet this year. Next year I would not be surprised to go 3 big at times. I figure Royce will be back.
    Agree. Next year we will have a much more rounded team with 2 PGs on the roster along with the rest of the incoming class.

Starter
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 795
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 20

I like the idea but he key is spacing. I feel the pick and roll with White and Edjim up high with Percy building a fort down there could be devistating. Big men can't play pick and roll defense against the athletsism of Edjim and White up past the top of the key just could not happen.

I am happy Fred calls all the guys shooters but there are days when you can't just keep pulling the trigger and wasting posessions on bad looks because you are a "shooter".

Prospect
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. TX was guarding our guards very tight, we needed to switch it up.