Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

Post Defense

Wondering - it seems we defend the post from behind - this allows the center to get the ball and gives choices of kicking back out, spinning left or right for a layup or stepping out for a short jumper. Most recently this was Griner and Childs. More often than not, opponents defend our post players from the front and we struggle to even get the ball and lately our posts have not scored much.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Post Defense

Quote Originally Posted by BenEClone View Post
    Wondering - it seems we defend the post from behind - this allows the center to get the ball and gives choices of kicking back out, spinning left or right for a layup or stepping out for a short jumper. Most recently this was Griner and Childs. More often than not, opponents defend our post players from the front and we struggle to even get the ball and lately our posts have not scored much.

This aspect of BF's strategy always confuses me. He gives up career high point nights to Griner and Childs and a few years ago to that annoying smug blond center from Stanford who dropped 46 points --- we defend from behind and it's basically a green light for the opposing post player to do whatever they want. Everything is so frustrating right now, both men and women games today were PAINFUL to watch. Painful. A conference championship more than once every 10-15 years sure would be nice.

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 538
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 23

If anything, I wish we would switch it up some, just to keep them off balance. When Childs was in rhythm, there was no stopping her with that jumper, we should have fronted some, just to keep them off balance.

I would have also like to have seem some mixing up of presses. Just do it once or twice a game to throw the other team off, just enough, to maybe get a quick steal, or shake the opponent up mentally. Some new wrinkle to through them off. Sometimes I think they come up with a game plan, and stick to it no matter what.

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 538
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by NYCy View Post
    This aspect of BF's strategy always confuses me. He gives up career high point nights to Griner and Childs and a few years ago to that annoying smug blond center from Stanford who dropped 46 points --- we defend from behind and it's basically a green light for the opposing post player to do whatever they want. Everything is so frustrating right now, both men and women games today were PAINFUL to watch. Painful. A conference championship more than once every 10-15 years sure would be nice.
    I agree, at some point, you have to adjust. In general, I get his approach of let her have her points, not to double team, and to not open up the opponents offense. Heck, with Griner, double teaming doesn't really work. The most important thing is to not let her post up deep. Once she is there, not much anyone can do...accept the refs should watch her feet, because she shuffles sometimes and it doesn't get called. However, letting someone go off for a record highs, not great.

Starter
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    If anything, I wish we would switch it up some, just to keep them off balance. When Childs was in rhythm, there was no stopping her with that jumper, we should have fronted some, just to keep them off balance.

I would have also like to have seem some mixing up of presses. Just do it once or twice a game to throw the other team off, just enough, to maybe get a quick steal, or shake the opponent up mentally. Some new wrinkle to through them off. Sometimes I think they come up with a game plan, and stick to it no matter what.
    Quite often, ISU does switch it up. I couldn't tell whether they tried different defenses on Childs; it was not apparent, and since she actually scored better in the 2nd half, if they did try something new, it didn't work.

A press would have been nice to throw in. Plus it would be good to "practice" it earlier in the game, see how the opponent deals with it, before it's needed at the end to get a steal and a basket to tie or win. ISU did not seem effective at all at the end.

Pop is just out of sorts now, and that affects a lot both offensively and defensively. Maybe it was inevitable for her to hit a wall. She has played at such a high level for most of the season. Hopefully she gets it figured out for her sake and the team.

Have to give some credit to Childs. She was very committed out there.

Starter
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Here's a quote by Childs from the Ames Tribune:

“I really had that sense that I could score at will,” said Childs, who also grabbed 10 rebounds against ISU. “No disrespect to their defense, but when I’m feeling good, I’m feeling good.”

http://www.amestrib.com/sections/spo...ournament.html

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 10

Prins is an awful defender and her hands are also suspect.

Very frustrating to watch. Love it when she hits the 3, but just gets pushed around too much for her size.

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 866
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

I'm sure there is a downside to guarding a center from the front - between her and the ball. We may have to wait for a call-in or road trip to ask Coach his thinking on that. One problem I have is I only notice when something doesn't seem to work. In the previous game against KSU, whatever we did worked great.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads