Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 17

Opinion: NCAAB vs. NCAAF playoffs

Just wanted to get some other people’s thoughts…

I was thinking about this last night as I was watching WKU beat N. Texas to win the Sunbelt…is it fair that the winners of conference tourneys get the automatic bid to the NCAA tourney? Shouldn’t the winner of the regular season get the automatic bid if the NCAA truly wants the best of the best in the tourney? You’re basically rendering the regular season worthless for some mid-majors and smaller conferences.

There are people clammering for a playoff system in football to pick a legitimate national champ but you really don’t hear many people complaining about the NCAAB system letting inferior teams in…

I don’t really care either way (although I think I would lean towards putting the winner of the regular season into the tourney) but just wondered what other people thought…

Last edited by clonehenge; 03-07-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,496
    Given: 142

Re: Opinion: NCAAB vs. NCAAF playoffs

Tournaments create better stories and drama because smaller underdog teams can get hot at the right time and knock off better teams. Creates more "madness", generates more viewers and more money.

The NCAA football system is probably the worst kind possible. Teams play different schedules, varying number of cupcake opponents, in leagues of varying strength. And then a number is assigned based on BS criteria to determine who the "best" two are.

As far as determining who's the best team for a given year though a one and done tournament setting doesn't do much.

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,917
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 19

I believe the 'Madness' is perfect, don't mess with it.

Walk On
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 439
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The whole reason people want a playoff in football is to let the small teams in. TCU, Utah, and Boise State have all gone undefeated but have not even gotten a chance to play for the NC. Even though a playoff system may not be perfect, it will eliminate a lot of the complaining that, "We didn't even get a chance to win it all" arguments.

Legend
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 628
    Given: 1,237

Quote Originally Posted by CyAndrew23 View Post
    Even though a playoff system may not be perfect, it will eliminate a lot of the complaining that, "We didn't even get a chance to win it all" arguments.
    I'm not against it but I think it will just move the complaining from the #3 team to #5 or #9 or #17, etc.

Remember all of the BB analysts complaining that it was a travesty that some teams made the field and others didn't? That was complaining about not making that #65 slot. And this is after no one lower than an 8 seed (top 32) has ever won it.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    I'm not against it but I think it will just move the complaining from the #3 team to #5 or #9 or #17, etc.

Remember all of the BB analysts complaining that it was a travesty that some teams made the field and others didn't? That was complaining about not making that #65 slot. And this is after no one lower than an 8 seed (top 32) has ever won it.
    Anyone who is complaining because the #65 team in the nation didn't make the tournament is either an idiot or is just complaining to bring in viewers/listeners.

Legend
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,303
    Given: 683

The 64 team format is the greatest championship in sports to me. Going to 65 and then 68 is diluting it to me. I don't think there should be play-in games, there is already an entire season and a conference tourney to get your *** into the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Football is just a stupid game. Who cares who has the better football team. It's just a game.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycarob View Post
    The 64 team format is the greatest championship in sports to me. Going to 65 and then 68 is diluting it to me. I don't think there should be play-in games, there is already an entire season and a conference tourney to get your *** into the tournament.
    Yeah, the 64th team has a shot at it, but the 66th team, no way.

Walk On
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post

Isn't that still an improvement. You would have a 2-3 loss team being left out instead of an undefeated or 1 loss team.
    I actually think that march madness is a little watered down with teams. Lower teams than an 8 seed have made it interesting though, even if they haven't won it.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 359
    Given: 107

There's always arbitrary cut offs. March Madness is entertaining as hell, but it probably doesn't reveal who the best team is a lot of years. It just determines who wins the tournament between the 64 schools who either win their conference tourney or impress the committee. However, its entertaining as hell.

College football most years, is entertaining as hell. They try to pair up the two best teams in the game and square them off. Sometimes there's a hell of a lot of controversy about it. Most often, it ends up being entertaining as hell. Because this system provided a boring repetitive match up that lacked entertainment value, the system is closer to being shook up than its ever been.

Last time I checked, this was all about entertainment. Carry on.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Legend
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 628
    Given: 1,237

Quote Originally Posted by CyAndrew23 View Post
    Isn't that still an improvement. You would have a 2-3 loss team being left out instead of an undefeated or 1 loss team.
    I actually think that march madness is a little watered down with teams. Lower teams than an 8 seed have made it interesting though, even if they haven't won it.
    I don't disagree. I was just disagreeing with the comment that it will eliminate a lot of the complaining. Any team who was close to getting a shot but missed it will be complaining just as loudly as the ones who miss the championship game now. And there will be a lot of the media complaining right along with them. I think OSU should have gotten their shot last season, for example.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,987
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I am against the FB playoffs because the rich will only get richer and I am sentimental about the pagentry of college football. I like the inconsistencies.

On the other hand, if all and only conference champions were included in a football playoff I wouuld be good with that. Yes, the champion of the sun belt would go but the second place team from the SEC would stay at home. That is what the NCAA should be about. Over time such a set up would help spread the wealth and even the playing fields. teams would also be more likely to play marquee non-conference games. It would also put all this conference positioning and super conference crap to rest. I also think bowl games would remain viable.

As a caveat...I believe there are 11 D-1 football conferences. I suppose you could have one wildcard/independent slot to make it a 12 team playoff.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,146
    Given: 599

The college basketball tournament is absolutely perfect. Anyone who doesn't get in has absolutely no argument as to their relative worth in terms of a national championship, and everything else is decided on the court.

Walk On
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    The college basketball tournament is absolutely perfect. Anyone who doesn't get in has absolutely no argument as to their relative worth in terms of a national championship, and everything else is decided on the court.
    That is what people want in College Football too. Settle it on the field.

Had Okie State gotten a chance to play either Bama or LSU and lost, there would be no complaining because they got their chance, but couldn't do it.

Legend
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 687
    Given: 558

I'd prefer to just see Kentucky vs. Syracuse in one really big game.

The other teams could all play in one first round NIT game...but only if they have a winning record to keep out the rif raf.

This is the only way the regular season can have any meaning, if it's more than two teams in the playoff Iowa State will never have a chance and our program will fall off the map.

Last edited by HFCS; 03-08-2012 at 02:41 PM.