Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 94

Cyclone fans, look around....

I know this has been discussed quite a bit but I just want to reassure any Cyclone fans who have their feet on the edge of the cliff.

The Chizik turnaround is going to take time. Need examples? Just look around to some familiar teams:

Illinois - Ron Zook takes over in 2005
    YEAR 1 - 2005 - 2-9 with an 0-8 conference record
    YEAR 2 - 2006 - 2-10 with a 1-7 conference record
    YEAR 3 - 2007 - 5-2 with a 3-1 conference record

Colorado - Dan Hawkins takes over in 2006
    YEAR 1 - 2006 - 2-10 with a 2-6 conference record
    YEAR 2 - 2007 - 4-3 with a 2-1 conference record

I've posted this before...this comes from Ron Zook after talking about rebuilding a team from the bottom:
    YEAR 1 - You lose and lose big
    YEAR 2 - You lose but the losses are much closer
    YEAR 3 - You start to win
    YEAR 4 - You DO win

Those two teams are good examples of patience. Now you might saw that Colorado has more tradition and Illinois has a better recruiting base than ISU. Well, let's look at Kansas, in a similar situation as Iowa State, a team with no tradition and no huge recruiting base:

Kansas - Mark Magino takes over in 2002
    2002 - 2-10 with an 0-8 conference record
    2003 - 6-7 with a 3-5 conference record
    2004 - 4-7 with a 2-6 conference record
    2005 - 7-5 with a 3-5 conference record
    2006 - 6-6 with a 3-5 conference record
    2007 - 6-0 with a 2-0 conference record

Now Magino took a little longer to get the program running but he took over a KU team that had been awful a la Dan McCarney in the 1990s. My hope is Chizik doesn't have as much work as Mangino did but even if he does, he was signed for 6 years and Mangino has put a team on the field that could easily go 10-2 in Year 6. At Kansas.

This will take patience. I know people want quick fixes. But in the end, the result will be worth the wait.

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,166
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 0

Re: Cyclone fans, look around....

And Don't forget about everyone's favorite: Kirk Ferentz

1999Iowa 1-10 0-8 11th
    2000Iowa 3-9 3-5 8th
    2001Iowa 7-5 4-4 T-4th
    2002Iowa 11-2 8-0 T-1st

And he took over a program that had tradition, a huge and wealthy fan base, and preferred program of almost every good in-state recruit.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 527
    Given: 369

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    I know this has been discussed quite a bit but I just want to reassure any Cyclone fans who have their feet on the edge of the cliff.

The Chizik turnaround is going to take time. Need examples? Just look around to some familiar teams:

I've posted this before...this comes from Ron Zook after talking about rebuilding a team from the bottom:
    YEAR 4 - You DO win

Those two teams are good examples of patience. Now you might saw that Colorado has more tradition and Illinois has a better recruiting base than ISU. Well, let's look at Kansas, in a similar situation as Iowa State, a team with no tradition and no huge recruiting base:

Now Magino took a little longer to get the program running but he took over a KU team that had been awful a la Dan McCarney in the 1990s. My hope is Chizik doesn't have as much work as Mangino did but even if he does, he was signed for 6 years and Mangino has put a team on the field that could easily go 10-2 in Year 6. At Kansas.

This will take patience. I know people want quick fixes. But in the end, the result will be worth the wait.
    How dare you bring your measly, sniveling logic to a CycloneFanatic forum!!!

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 527
    Given: 369

Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post

1999Iowa 1-10 0-8 11th
    2000Iowa 3-9 3-5 8th
    2001Iowa 7-5 4-4 T-4th
    2002Iowa 11-2 8-0 T-1st

And he took over a program that had tradition, a huge and wealthy fan base, and preferred program of almost every good in-state recruit.
    Yeah, but what has he done with that tradition since?

2005Iowa 7-5 5-3 T-4th (I think)
    2006Iowa 6-7 2-6 T-7th (I think)
    2007Iowa 3-4 1-3 (thusfar)

What that means is you must keep accountability on a successful coach if you want sustained success.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post

YEAR 4 - You DO win

I don't see many people, if any, ready to jump off a cliff. I don't think I've seen a single post that calls for Chizik's head - not one that I've taken seriously anyway.

What I do see is a bunch of people who say that the future is where the turnaround lies for Cyclone football. Future players to be specific.

What most are asking - is the future now as in time to start playing those players.

PS - I understand your intentions are good. But please don't ever try and compare ISU to CU or Ill. Yuck. I need to go take a shower now.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 777
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 350
    Given: 686

Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post

1999Iowa 1-10 0-8 11th
    2000Iowa 3-9 3-5 8th
    2001Iowa 7-5 4-4 T-4th
    2002Iowa 11-2 8-0 T-1st

Thanks I was really hoping that this topic could go on without the perverbial comparison to Iowa!!! Why do we always have to compare ourselves to Iowa? They aren't anything special, sure they had a couple of good years but they aren't an elite team.

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 230
    Given: 284

Why do you hate Mac so much. I love him. Not quite sure what you have against coach Mac.

My next few posts are just to see how it feels to take every post and see what it feels like to make it about something other than what it is.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 407
    Given: 296

Show us the Ron Prince instant rebuild record. And he had lkousa, slow talent when he moved in because the recruits were not going Bill Snyder's way - Bill's last team had the slowest linebackers in the league, just like Nebraska has now.

And all these examples show winning at least two games. We blew even that when we lost to Kent State with a vanilla effort.

Sorry, but with the level of recruiting the last twelve months, I expect five years to a bowl (top 8 teams go to a bowl in Big 12). Or we may go Super Juco.

Gene who is a great coach will be with us for the long haul and it will be a long haul out of Ames - Dan had 12-13 years of chances. Gene should have the same. In retrospect, Dan was not a bad coach except for befuddling playcalling from Barney. He just could not recruit kids to Ames. When we start pulling in higher tier of kids consistently, we will move back up to the Big 12 table.

Most teams in America will win more than one game this year. And that win was a last second win.

Last edited by Wesley; 10-16-2007 at 12:46 PM.
    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    Why do you hate Mac so much. I love him. Not quite sure what you have against coach Mac.

My next few posts are just to see how it feels to take every post and see what it feels like to make it about something other than what it is.

Your name is Know NOTHING, it's OK to keep demonstrating that fact.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 789
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by isufbcurt View Post
    Thanks I was really hoping that this topic could go on without the perverbial comparison to Iowa!!! Why do we always have to compare ourselves to Iowa? They aren't anything special, sure they had a couple of good years but they aren't an elite team.
    Why do you have such disgust for the Iowa comparison. It is a legit comparison. Iowa had a terrible couple years during Ferentz's first years, and improved since. Sounds like a logical comparison. It is a team that many of us are familiar with just like the big 12 teams mentioned earlier. It makes since to compare Chizik to Ferentz.

You know what you are? You are a hawk-phobe. It is a syndrome I like to compare to homophobia. People with homophobia are afraid to mention anything about homosexuals for fear that people might think they are one themselves. They don't want to be associated to them in any way. They are insecure in their sexuality. People with hawkphobia are afraid to mention the hawkeyes for fear that others may perceive them as wanting to be like the hawkeyes. They are insecure in their Cyclone pride. Hawkeyes are our fellow Iowans in close proximity to us, and we as Cyclone fans should be able to talk about them and to them without fear of people thinking we want to be them.

...And who cares if they think that. Are you that insecure as a cyclone fan that you can't even mention the word "hawkeye" without becoming ultra-defensive? They are our in-state rivals, and it makes sense to be compared to them (and vise-versa), no matter what they may think.

Last edited by iowast8fan; 10-16-2007 at 12:49 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 19

gotta keep the faith, and don't jump ship!

2009 FLHR - Vivid Black

I don't sweat the petty things,... I pet the sweaty things

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Bryceman View Post
    He just could not recruit kids to Ames. When we start pulling in higher tier of kids consistently, we will move back up to the Big 12 table.
    Not here to defend DMac, but that, my fanatics, is the single most difficult challenge to winning at ISU. Like it or not, ISU is one of the toughest places to recruit to in the BCS conferences. The local talent base is mediocre at best and we have to compete with other schools to keep them here. Once we leave the state, we're competing with everyone else and (in the past) have settled for leftovers. I have the utmost faith in GC to change that paradigm with the talent level coming to Ames. If Snyder did it in Manhattan, there's no reason to think Chizik can't do it here.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 777
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 350
    Given: 686

I hate the comparison because it insinuates that we want to have a good couple years and then go back in the crapper like they did. Why not aspire to be better in the long haul and grow into a true upper tier program? Why not compare to VT who was horse crap and now are a perenial power?

You can call me a hawkphobe all you want. I do have hatred for the hawks, not necessarily the school or their program, but mainly due to an ignorant fan base. I can honestly say may hatred does not stem from jealously of them, but more from the fact that I was raised Cyclone only and had to listen to ignorant fan after ignorant fan while I was growing up.

We may share the same state as them but I believe in the "concept of rivalry" which states you never cheer for your instate rival. Look at the rivalries UGA/GT, Oregon/OSU, UT/TAM, Oklahoma/OSU, Miami/FSU, Bama/Auburn, USC/UCLA, I can go on and on those schools dispise each other and thats how i feel about Iowa. You can call it hawkphobia, jealousy or whatever you want but I assure you it is neither.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Illinois is not an apt comparison. Zooker can recruit like it's nobody's business.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 94

Quote Originally Posted by CrossCyed View Post
    Illinois is not an apt comparison. Zooker can recruit like it's nobody's business.
    And Chizik can't?

Zook has to use his great recruiting skills to get players to make up for his bonehead coaching decisions.