Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 126

Improvement Areas?

As Fred said, the teams that will succeed at this stage are the ones which continue to improve. So, what areas do you see in which the team still needs to improve? Here are some things I would like to see the team do better:

1. Play with the same urgency/intensity they have shown when the game is on the line at the beginning of the game such as they did at K-State. Can't afford to spot teams leads and keep expecting to pull games out.

2. Royce needs to focus on defense. When he does so, he seems to move his feet fairly well. He also needs to quit deferring so much to his teammates as when he has a scoring mindset, he has taken over games for brief periods. Oh yeah, continue improving on his free throws.

3. Scotty's ball handling has improved immensely as the season has worn on and I did a double take when he made the spin move off the dribble against Baylor. But, he needs to not turn the ball over in crunch time as he did against Missouri.

4. Allen needs to improve in his shot selection. I thought he would have gotten past that at this point, but he continues to throw up shots early in the possession when he's covered or shots you can get at any time in the possession. I still think he a bit too "me" oriented.

5. Melvin absolutely has to start catching passes more cleanly. I've laughingly started to refer to him as Melvin "Roberto Duran" Ejim, i.e., "Hands of Stone." Really can't find any other areas as his intensity, defense and rebounding are a glue and his outside shot continues to improve.

6. Booker needs to quit getting upset with every foul that doesn't go his way. His reactions and attitude have taken him out of too many games.

7. McGee: the only thing I can think of is his ball handling which will probably have to improve in the off-season.

8. Rebounding on transition has to improve. When getting back on a fast break, the team too often is looking at the ball instead of looking for a man to block out after the shot goes up. Still, we can't really complain since we're rebounding so well as a team in-light of our height.

"Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Rookie
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 336
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

Re: Improvement Areas?

make a lay up off a steal. Make point blank shots. Quit making silly turnovers.

CyBer

Silly turnovers are the biggest problem IMO.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 25

Transition defense (namely stopping the ball). We tend to back pedal until we're under the rim and either give up an easy layup or commit a stupid foul.

And tone down some of Royce's passing. You can't throw it at 87 from one block to the other and expect Melvin/Booker/Gibson to be able to handle it unless it is a perfect pass. A lot of them are places where a bounce pass would accomplish the desired result.

Going to the rim instead of worrying about the defender. Go hard to the rim on the break, don't drive in and then shy away from contact at the end to miss the layup.

Legend
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,220
    Given: 2,301

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Going to the rim instead of worrying about the defender. Go hard to the rim on the break, don't drive in and then shy away from contact at the end to miss the layup.
    I don't blame them from shying away from the contact. It seems that many times when I thought they did a pretty good job of skirting the defender they still get the charge call.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Recruit
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Add a BIG Post player in the next yr or 2 --- 6'10" or bigger that plays and can contribute. The middle presence is needed for us to go deep into tournament.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 261
    Given: 29

We need to improve our FT defense.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,570
    Given: 751

Re:Improvement Areas?

To me, by far the main area of concern is stopping the ball in transition. At the very least, make them make a great pass to score, rather than give up a lay up.

Solve that, and I'm happy

Starter
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 869
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 20

Learn how to take a CHARGE!

Starter
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 869
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    We need to improve our FT defense.
    Makes perfect sense to me! The only defense you can plan for FT's is making your own. Brilliant, gocubs!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,175
    Given: 1,803

Quote Originally Posted by BigCojones View Post
    make a lay up off a steal. Make point blank shots. Quit making silly turnovers.
    This would take us to the next level. Sounds so simple, but these are key weaknesses.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 548
    Given: 275

Quote Originally Posted by Psiclone View Post
    4. Allen needs to improve in his shot selection. I thought he would have gotten past that at this point, but he continues to throw up shots early in the possession when he's covered or shots you can get at any time in the possession. I still think he a bit too "me" oriented.

Nobody was complaining when he was on that insane 3 pt streak. Many of those shots were deep and contested. I know we as fans aren't really used to players like Allen, but I really don't think a hand in his face or an extra foot bother him. He is a great shooter and if he shoots just as well guarded as unguarded, than who cares?

Scotty gets the same freedom and so does Babb when it comes to the depth of shots, they just aren't guys who like to take shots with hands in their face.

CA is that player and has a great stepback and a great mid range jumper. If CFH was that mad about those shots he would outlaw Allen from taking them altogether.

On the point about RW's defense, I agree that he basically doesn't play a whole lot of it, and I'm going to guess it is a to stay out of foul trouble. He has been phenomenal at that in the past 10 games, but it would be nice to have a little more defensive effort while staying out of foul trouble. Probably won't be able to have both, it's a fine line.

Last edited by Rhoadhoused; 03-06-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 686
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Psiclone View Post
    As Fred said, the teams that will succeed at this stage are the ones which continue to improve. So, what areas do you see in which the team still needs to improve? Here are some things I would like to see the team do better:

1. Play with the same urgency/intensity they have shown when the game is on the line at the beginning of the game such as they did at K-State. Can't afford to spot teams leads and keep expecting to pull games out.

2. Royce needs to focus on defense. When he does so, he seems to move his feet fairly well. He also needs to quit deferring so much to his teammates as when he has a scoring mindset, he has taken over games for brief periods. Oh yeah, continue improving on his free throws.

3. Scotty's ball handling has improved immensely as the season has worn on and I did a double take when he made the spin move off the dribble against Baylor. But, he needs to not turn the ball over in crunch time as he did against Missouri.

5. Melvin absolutely has to start catching passes more cleanly. I've laughingly started to refer to him as Melvin "Roberto Duran" Ejim, i.e., "Hands of Stone." Really can't find any other areas as his intensity, defense and rebounding are a glue and his outside shot continues to improve.

6. Booker needs to quit getting upset with every foul that doesn't go his way. His reactions and attitude have taken him out of too many games.

7. McGee: the only thing I can think of is his ball handling which will probably have to improve in the off-season.

8. Rebounding on transition has to improve. When getting back on a fast break, the team too often is looking at the ball instead of looking for a man to block out after the shot goes up. Still, we can't really complain since we're rebounding so well as a team in-light of our height.
    We really need to improve our defense in stopping the dribble drive (and on help d when we fail to do so). Point guards with good handle and speed (Taylor, Jackson, Pressey) have exposed this as a major weakness for us. Hopefully, Korie will be able to shore up this problem next year.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Transition defense (namely stopping the ball). We tend to back pedal until we're under the rim and either give up an easy layup or commit a stupid foul.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    To me, by far the main area of concern is stopping the ball in transition. At the very least, make them make a great pass to score, rather than give up a lay up.

Solve that, and I'm happy
    I concur fully with these two sentiments. Our transition defense has not been good, and we will face teams in the upcoming tournaments who can push the ball.

Seneca Wallace.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

I'm thinking more along the lines of next season with this thread because at this point you can't make too many drastic changes overnight.

Royce: work on goto post move, defense, and free throws
    Team in general needs to get that "killer instinct" and take teams out of the game completely when they have leads.
    Intensity: too many times we get caught celebrating a big play and get burnt on a quick fast break off an inbounds play. Have to stay focused all 40 minutes and not take plays off on defense
    Play smart: while the spectacular pass or dunk can get a crowd pumped up, you can take them out of the game just as easy by committing dumb turnovers. Value the basketball EVERY possession and go for those crowd pleasing plays once the game is in hand.

Next season already has me excited. Going to miss Scotty, wish I could say the same about Allen but I can't but Lucious, Clyburn, and the recruits are going to add a lot of depth to this roster and the returning players finally have built that chemistry that was lacking early in the season.

Go Cubs Go!