Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 77

Wrestling Coaching Staff

Lots of talk about the program

I'm going to start off saying KJ should be here next year and we need to see improvement. I will also say that the program needs to be evaluated from a coaching staff, strength & conditioning program, and off season training.

I think that Paulsens, Reader and Zabriskie are doing a great job with 165 and up.
    The down side is they are training for Olympics and are extremely busy with personal objectives. The Olympic portion will be done by start of next season. I think that Travis will then spend alot more time as the assistant and less training. Trent, Jon, and Dave will continue training. I believe the ties they have with the OTC can't be measured and are a valuable source for Iowa State Wrestling.

I am curious who people think can either one of 2 things -
    1. Replace Yero as a light weight asst (I don't know Yero and don't know if this is really a problem or not)
    2. Who can the CWC get into Ames as a light weight Senior curcuit wrestler?

I currently tend to lead to #2 1st, I think getting a little weight senior guy to brawl with Meeks, Finch, Bauer, Goettl, Larson, etc would go a long ways in improving the light weights.

Rookie
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 554
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 4

Re: Wrestling Coaching Staff

Short of letting KJ go (which would be premature), there needs to be some restructuring in the program. I didn't feel this way earlier as the team seemed to be progressing on all fronts, but the Big 12 debacle has shaken my faith profoundly. Although I have no insider information, I think the team needs to do both 1 and 2. It's not just that Yero is the lightweight coach and the lightweights have not really improved to my eye. Its that he is the LEAD assistant for the whole team. It goes without saying that we need more lightweight senior circuit partner(S). I feel that part of the reason we don't have any must be about Yero not having enough to offer them.

But again, this is all from the outside looking in.

Quote Originally Posted by buf87 View Post
    Lots of talk about the program

I'm going to start off saying KJ should be here next year and we need to see improvement. I will also say that the program needs to be evaluated from a coaching staff, strength & conditioning program, and off season training.

I think that Paulsens, Reader and Zabriskie are doing a great job with 165 and up.
    The down side is they are training for Olympics and are extremely busy with personal objectives. The Olympic portion will be done by start of next season. I think that Travis will then spend alot more time as the assistant and less training. Trent, Jon, and Dave will continue training. I believe the ties they have with the OTC can't be measured and are a valuable source for Iowa State Wrestling.

I am curious who people think can either one of 2 things -
    1. Replace Yero as a light weight asst (I don't know Yero and don't know if this is really a problem or not)
    2. Who can the CWC get into Ames as a light weight Senior curcuit wrestler?

I currently tend to lead to #2 1st, I think getting a little weight senior guy to brawl with Meeks, Finch, Bauer, Goettl, Larson, etc would go a long ways in improving the light weights.

Pro
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 754
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 21

My opinion of KJ is that he appears to have the ability to coach, my one concern is recruiting. When he came to ISU he a well known by the older generation of fans and wrestling kids, but for a kid in the newer generation doesn't really know. We had a huge advantage when Cale was here as his name was well known because of being a little younger and for what he did in his college years. I love the fire that KJ brings to the program and the type of guy that he is. I really hope KJ is the real deal and starts building a good program soon, as I have no desire for the wrestling program to have to start over.

"Its time to roll up our sleeves, put on our hard hats and go to work together"

Recruit
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I still believe we are 2 years out from competing for a title. There were countless times where we were wrestling 8-9 freshman out of 10. By the time the red-shirt freshman and true freshman (McCaully and maybe Meeks) get mixed in there and you still have a very young team except for Beard and Spangler. The year after that is when those 9 freshman will finally be upper classman. Even if they are not starters by that time and the younger ones beat them out, there is still lots of competition to make everyone better. We have not had any depth since Bael depleted the program.

Also agree we need to get more lightweights into the room to train!!

Prospect
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 276
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up

Recruiting is not a problem entirely with Kevin. He gets great recruits, but he also lets completely worthless players into the starting line up (I don't care if it is because of lack of depth) If a guy's high school career is listed as state qualifier Senior year, then he should be a wrestling dummy for actual talent to wrestle.

The problem is two fold, one of conditioning (half the time I wonder if they even have actual practice, the other time I wonder if they are practicing too much)

The other problem is Yero. The guys he is responsible have underachieved/not developed at all. Get him out of there, heck call Nate Gallick (currently at the wrestling academy), he was a great tactical wrestler and would be useful. Zach Roberson was at Arizona last I knew so maybe he would be a good move. This is not Olympic wrestling and Yero is out of place.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 337

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonetbone View Post
    Recruiting is not a problem entirely with Kevin. He gets great recruits, but he also lets completely worthless players into the starting line up (I don't care if it is because of lack of depth) If a guy's high school career is listed as state qualifier Senior year, then he should be a wrestling dummy for actual talent to wrestle.
    Do you really think that a guy like Luke Swalla even himself thought he'd ever take the mat. Or that Jackson was sitting other guys rather than toss him or a guy like Hallman out there? Swalla was a true freshman and it was either forfiet, pull a redshirt on a guy who might actually start down the road, or give Swalla a chance to letter while he tried not to get pinned. Every time he didn't get pinned it was a net win for the team.

I guess I am just really confused by your point with that statement. Do you honestly think a third or fourth string true freshman was part of the plan for the season?

The problem is two fold, one of conditioning (half the time I wonder if they even have actual practice, the other time I wonder if they are practicing too much)
    Totally agree with you there

call Nate Gallick (currently at the wrestling academy), he was a great tactical wrestler and would be useful. Zach Roberson was at Arizona last I knew so maybe he would be a good move.
    I think either of those guys would be great additions to the staff.

Last edited by Judoka; 03-06-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Land Grant View Post
    Short of letting KJ go (which would be premature), there needs to be some restructuring in the program. I didn't feel this way earlier as the team seemed to be progressing on all fronts, but the Big 12 debacle has shaken my faith profoundly. Although I have no insider information, I think the team needs to do both 1 and 2. It's not just that Yero is the lightweight coach and the lightweights have not really improved to my eye. Its that he is the LEAD assistant for the whole team. It goes without saying that we need more lightweight senior circuit partner(S). I feel that part of the reason we don't have any must be about Yero not having enough to offer them.

But again, this is all from the outside looking in.
    I think there is a lot of truth to this. We know KJ can recruit (a guy like McCauley isn't showing up because he was born a Cyclone or anything) and we know that he can come up with a gameplan and strategy the is the best for each wrestler for each opponent. However, I think that we need to take a long, hard look at our strength and conditioning program as well as addressing the issue with more talent in the room for the lightweights. At this point I don't think you can point to bad luck as being the sole source of injuries, there is something in our training that is making us more prone to being hurt. And that needs to be fixed.

The problem of our senior athletes being gone and focused on their own goals will fix itself after this summer. Though it will certainly need to be addressed in the next Olympic cycle. The problem of our guys getting rode like a lame mule in match after match is something that also desperately needs to be fixed going forward.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cjbogler View Post
    I still believe we are 2 years out from competing for a title. There were countless times where we were wrestling 8-9 freshman out of 10. By the time the red-shirt freshman and true freshman (McCaully and maybe Meeks) get mixed in there and you still have a very young team except for Beard and Spangler. The year after that is when those 9 freshman will finally be upper classman. Even if they are not starters by that time and the younger ones beat them out, there is still lots of competition to make everyone better. We have not had any depth since Bael depleted the program.

Also agree we need to get more lightweights into the room to train!!
    I'm still expecting a top 5 finish next year (might have to lower that a little if Spangler has to call it quits) and having a legitimate shot at the title the following year.

Pro
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 754
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 21

Judoka, I think your spot on with needing to take a look that the strength and conditioning program. There are still to many late in this season that we were gassing out in the 3rd. I also agree with the consensus that we need a lower weights coach. I truely hope KJ takes a look at the program and makes the changes that needs to be made in order to bring us back into NT contention.

Pro
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 927
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 442

for ****s sake, give the guy a chance. who let cael steal the national championship team from isu?

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Well, thinking about trying to get some lightweight talent from the senior circuit here are the most current rankings I can find for the lightweights. Anyone on the list you all think we could steal away to Ames?

55 kg/121 lbs.
    1. Nick Simmons, Corvallis, Ore. (Sunkist Kids)
    2. Angel Escobedo, Columbus, Ohio (New York AC)
    3. Sam Hazewinkel, Norman, Okla. (Sunkist Kids)
    4. Obe Blanc, Stillwater, Okla. (Gator WC)
    5. Henry Cejudo, Columbus, Ohio
    6. Danny Felix, Morgantown, W.Va.
    7. Frank Perrelli, Hackettstown, N.J. (New York AC)
    8. Troy Nickerson, Ithaca, N.Y. (New York AC)
    9. Brandon Precin, Evanston, Ill. (Wildcat WC)
    10. Mark McKnight, State College, Pa. (Nittany Lion WC)

60 kg/132 lbs.
    1. Reece Humphrey, Columbus, Ohio (New York AC)
    2. Shawn Bunch, Columbus, Ohio (Gator WC)
    3. Coleman Scott, Stillwater, Okla. (Gator WC)
    4. Logan Stieber, Monroeville, Ohio (New York AC)
    5. Mike Zadick, Solon, Iowa (Gator WC)
    6. Matt Valenti, Philadelphia, Pa. (Lehigh Valley Athletic Club)
    7. Tyler Graff, Loveland, Colo. (New York AC)
    8. Derek Moore, Colorado Springs, Colo. (U.S. Army)
    9. Jimmy Kennedy, Ann Arbor, Mich. (New York AC)
    10. Andrew Hochstrasser, Boise, Idaho (Mountain West)

I don't know a ton about these guys, but my initial thoughts are maybe Simmons, though I don't know how or why he's at Oregon State when he's Michigan born and bred and went to Mich State, so maybe he could be enticed. I would say Felix as a possible Asst. but only if he would stop the senior circuit and focus on coaching. Maybe Bunch, though it'd be tough to pull him from Esco and Cejudo. Graff would be great to see as a cyclone after his redshirt, anyone know if he's tied to Wisc. still after Pritzlaff left?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Also, some college seniors that I would assume would move on to the senior circuit. Any of these guys possibilities to come our way? Only ones I could maybe see are Bedelyon and Novachkov as I don't think there's much for olympic level training at Kent State and Cal Poly.

2 Zach Sanders Minnesota Senior Big Ten
    4 Nic Bedelyon Kent State Senior MAC
    7 Frank Perrelli Cornell Senior EIWA

1 Kellen Russell Michigan Senior Big Ten
    4 Montell Marion Iowa Senior Big Ten
    6 Boris Novachkov Cal Poly Senior Pac-12

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I looked at that also Dan - At 125 -Not going to get Sanders or Perrilli, at 141 - Not going to get Russell or Marion.
    Is Novachov or Bedelyon going to go on the senior curcuit?

On the guys currently on the senior curcuit, we tried Angel, not sure who is going to slow down on the senior curcuit after this round of Olympics.

Is Nick Fanthorphe still at Penn State wrestling?
    Are guys like Mitch Mueller, Nick or Nate Gallick interested?

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

he better get it figured out quick because wrestling is going down the drain

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

What are Frank Gomez, Paul Donahue, or Brandon Precin doing?

I think Precin is still at Northwestern.

Would any of them be candiates for an assistant or are all active in Senior curcuit