Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 7

Boys State Basketball Day 1

In general, it was a pretty good day of basketball at Well's Fargo. It's what we've come to expect on the first few days, to be honest, with only one game really being in question and the rest being blow outs for the teams expected to win. A few notes.

1. 1A is fast this year. I can't remember seeing 1A schools running quite so much as I did this year. I fully expect to see a Danville v. St. Mary's championship again this year, and that will be a fast fast game.

2. With 6 minutes left in the game, up by 33, Danville took their foot off the gas. It was a conscious effort by Danville's coach, wanting to let St. Albert avoid being the second team in tourney history to have the mercy rule pulled on them. So, with 6 minutes left in the game, Danville pulled their starters and put in their bench. St. Albert responded by immediately switching to a full court press and forced a 5'2" (it seemed) freshman to commit 3 turnovers in a row, and were celebrating like crazy. Danville let this go on for only a minute or two before they realized that St. Albert had no interest in letting their bench get playing time, so in go all the Danville starters again.

3. Iowa Mennonite still has the best pep band I've ever seen. I love them.

4. MFL/MAR-MAC vs. Sioux Center was one of the best games of basketball I've seen in a very long time at the Boys tournament. It is unfortunate that it ended the way that it did, but the last 10 seconds of the game doesn't change the fact that the game was amazing. And for the record, the bench did tell the officials, and the officials did tell the coach. Like I said: unfortunate, but the coach was the one who left him in.

5. Just thought I'd point this out to everyone. So far the Fan of the Game is 0-6 for their team. Six Fans of the Game, six losses.

Just my thoughts on today, now that I'm home. Happy 100th Tournament, we truly do have something unique and special here in Iowa!

"It was like going on vacation to go play Iowa." - Coach Johnny Orr

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,464
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Boys State Basketball Day 1

Mercy Rule?

Danville has only had a couple of games within 25 points all year. Will be interesting to see if they get tested. Those Soukup kids are both Juniors. I'm expecting another championship run.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,464
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

ps Screw IMS for knocking us out in state 5 years ago.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,307
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by zwclones51 View Post
    Mercy Rule?

Danville has only had a couple of games within 25 points all year. Will be interesting to see if they get tested. Those Soukup kids are both Juniors. I'm expecting another championship run.
    I'm not sure if it applies outside the State Tournament, but as of last year, if a team gets a 35 point lead in the 2nd Half, the clock runs continuous until the lead is reduced bellow 25.

It's only happened once before, and that was last year with St. Mary's in the first round (can't remember who they played).

"It was like going on vacation to go play Iowa." - Coach Johnny Orr

Rookie
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 321
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Hey-Can't go wrong with NW IA, My boys at Boyden-Hull, as well as Sioux Center, MOC-FV, Sioux City Heelan, and Sioux City East.. Way to go and Get it done Comets!!