Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 285,526, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registeredOverdriveCreated Album pictures
    IHavNoCyCash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    13,092
    Points
    285,526
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 305

    Freddy's transfer strategy

    With Freddy's transfer strategy working so well this year could it start happen more frequent around the country with getting multiple transfers?

    If it does, will it hurt CFH future recruiting? I can see us getting 1-2 transfers a year for the next couple years..similar to Kl and WC


    CyCash's Post of the Week

    Quote Originally Posted by cmjh10 View Post
    But I dont understand women. I think that explains why Im so bad at basketball.

    Denver Broncos fan: 13-3 Super Bowl Losers :(
    Arsenal Fan: 4th place, FA Cup Champions!
    Iowa St: 28-8 Big 12 Tourney Champs!!!! Sweet 16

  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 275,790, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    12,928
    Points
    275,790
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 476
    Given: 909

    Re: Freddy's transfer strategy

    I think the jury is still out on the transfer stategy working.

    I will say that I don't think you are going to see Fred taking an exceptional number of transfers in the future. He himself said this was a way to get talent into the program but don't plan on seeing it every year. Don't we have a full transfer free class coming in this fall?

    In short, I don't anticipate him being a victim of his own success because I don't think he plans on taking many in the future.


    Last edited by VeloClone; 03-05-2012 at 02:02 PM.
    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 106,675, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyhawkdmb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CB
    Posts
    5,021
    Points
    106,675
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 58

    Re: Freddy's transfer strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    I think the jury is still out on the transfer stategy working.

    I will say that I don't think you are going to see Fred taking an exeptional number of transfers in the future. He himself said this was a way to get talent into the program but don't plan on seeing it every year. Don't we have a full transfer free class coming in this fall?

    In short, I don't anticipate him being a victim of his own success because I don't think he plans on taking many in the future.
    this!



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 206,569, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,441
    Points
    206,569
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 354
    Given: 223

    Re: Freddy's transfer strategy

    The person it's going to end up biting is some coach taking over a down major conference program and trying to repeat it. Not all transfers are created equal, and I think Fred was pretty smart about which ones he took a chance on. Somebody will try this again and get burned by kids that don't end up meshing or turn out to be true headcases. It won't be us though.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 191,141, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Dryburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    8,805
    Points
    191,141
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 3

    Re: Freddy's transfer strategy

    I don't see a lot of other coaches around the country trying this.

    I think it worked for one reason only.......Fred. He came in here as head coach, saw a team that lacked enough talent, and applied his NBA management skills to do what someone in the NBA would do.....go out and get the talent from wherever you can. ISU was a unique situation for these transfers ....a program with a real need and a program with a decent and fairly recent positive past. Then you had a new head coach who was a hometown boy, an ISU star, an NBA vet, and a recent NBA executive with all kinds of connections. Plus, he obviously has the personality and managerial talent to handle the egos and possible problems that came with these transfers. Perfect situation here, but one that is not likely to be repeated somewhere else. It was done here to jump start the program and get some immediate results, and it worked, but only because ISU had the perfect head coach to pull it off.

    I think ISU will become a more conventional program now as far as recruiting and development goes, still taking the occasional transfer or juco to fill specific needs in the program.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 727,939, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,045
    Points
    727,939
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,070
    Given: 571

    Re: Freddy's transfer strategy

    It was the perfect storm, with the perfect coach and perfect players. Not sure that just anyone could pull it off, or would be willing to try.



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 70,523, Level: 82
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 927
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    4,937
    Points
    70,523
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 41

    Re: Freddy's transfer strategy

    How confident are you all about Fred's success at recruiting & landing high-level HS players?

    Who would not want to play for this guy?


    "We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

    -ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 206,569, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,441
    Points
    206,569
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 354
    Given: 223

    Re: Freddy's transfer strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    I don't see a lot of other coaches around the country trying this.

    I think it worked for one reason only.......Fred. He came in here as head coach, saw a team that lacked enough talent, and applied his NBA management skills to do what someone in the NBA would do.....go out and get the talent from wherever you can. ISU was a unique situation for these transfers ....a program with a real need and a program with a decent and fairly recent positive past. Then you had a new head coach who was a hometown boy, an ISU star, an NBA vet, and a recent NBA executive with all kinds of connections. Plus, he obviously has the personality and managerial talent to handle the egos and possible problems that came with these transfers. Perfect situation here, but one that is not likely to be repeated somewhere else. It was done here to jump start the program and get some immediate results, and it worked, but only because ISU had the perfect head coach to pull it off.

    I think ISU will become a more conventional program now as far as recruiting and development goes, still taking the occasional transfer or juco to fill specific needs in the program.
    Someone in the next 1-2 years will ignore those "small details", only focus on the success we're having and try this somewhere else. It will blow up in their face. I am sure this will happen.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 78,196, Level: 86
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    6,280
    Points
    78,196
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 15

    Re: Freddy's transfer strategy

    I think you will see it a little more for new coaches at schools in major conferences who need to rebuild, but who knows.

    The strategy really was a gamble in that ..if you do this and it works, you will be getting really good normal recruits from there on out for at least awhile. At least it's looking that way for us.

    I really don't think every coach could pull this off though. It depends on the personalities of the coaching staff.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 191,141, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Dryburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    8,805
    Points
    191,141
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 3

    Re: Freddy's transfer strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    Someone in the next 1-2 years will ignore those "small details", only focus on the success we're having and try this somewhere else. It will blow up in their face. I am sure this will happen.
    I agree. Someone will think they can do the same thing.

    Another thing I forgot to mention in Fred's situation was that he also knew that even if it blew up, Ames and ISU would give him time to correct it. Other coaches may not have that luxury. It really was a unique situation.



  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 206,569, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,441
    Points
    206,569
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 354
    Given: 223

    Re: Freddy's transfer strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    I agree. Someone will think they can do the same thing.

    Another thing I forgot to mention in Fred's situation was that he also knew that even if it blew up, Ames and ISU would give him time to correct it. Other coaches may not have that luxury. It really was a unique situation.
    That reminds of a quote from some podcast, I think the non-Gottlieb ESPN one, where someone wrote in asking where the love for Fred Hoiberg was. Both hosts cracked up and one says, "Fred Hoiberg hasn't paid for a meal in Ames in two decades. He's fine."



  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 216,895, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10,231
    Points
    216,895
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 252

    Re: Freddy's transfer strategy

    I think the jury is still out on the transfer stategy working.
    Were you on the same Jury as Casey Anthony? haha


    Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

  13. #13
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 16,280, Level: 38
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    TheAdmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fridley, MN
    Posts
    275
    Points
    16,280
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Freddy's transfer strategy

    I think the level of maturity found in our four transfers will be near impossible to find anywhere else. I've not heard or seen one bad thing about any of those guy during their year sitting out or this year. Props to them for doing it right.


    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 34,350, Level: 57
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,100
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    driegner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,133
    Points
    34,350
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Freddy's transfer strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
    I think the level of maturity found in our four transfers will be near impossible to find anywhere else. I've not heard or seen one bad thing about any of those guy during their year sitting out or this year. Props to them for doing it right.
    Agreed. These guys knew they had only one more chance, and that it was a big one. Really proud of our guys.



  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 313,812, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    CyCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In a Bunker
    Posts
    14,535
    Points
    313,812
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 20

    Re: Freddy's transfer strategy

    Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    I agree. Someone will think they can do the same thing.

    Another thing I forgot to mention in Fred's situation was that he also knew that even if it blew up, Ames and ISU would give him time to correct it. Other coaches may not have that luxury. It really was a unique situation.
    No doubt about it.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM