Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cyclone42

Nebraska is really pathetic

Yesterday just confirmed it. You really don't fire the athletic director over ONE SPORT. At least, that is the way it works at most universities, even Iowa. The AD is in charge of a multi-sport program, and only when there is obvious incompetence that affects several programs (such as with Bruce Van de Veld) do you fire him. Nebraska has been fairly competitive in a number of sports under Pedersen, so judging him on success across the whole athletic program at Nebraska, there is no way he should have been fired. But we all know that Nebraska is a one-sport school.

Walk On
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 247
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Nebraska is really pathetic

What's their one sport? Volleyball?

Asst. Regional Manager
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 507
    Given: 458

Well when their football team is down, that goes their religion, their entertainment, their vacation destination and their pride.

@RandomGeoFacts

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 527
    Given: 369

Quote Originally Posted by dornstar44 View Post
    What's their one sport? Volleyball?

Yeah, their Gymnastics program hasn't exactly been up to snuff the last several years, either. Really, ever since ISU took them out a few years ago

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 527
    Given: 369

Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post
    Well when their football team is down, that goes their religion, their entertainment, their vacation destination and their pride.
    Might there come a time sometime this season when Memorial Field in Lincoln doesn't become Nebraska's third largest city in the state?

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 230
    Given: 284

The guy that fired Peterson should be fired. He gave him an extension 6 months ago then fires him yesterday. That is a joke. If I were a booster I would laugh when they came to get more money from me.

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 133
    Given: 205

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post
    Yesterday just confirmed it. You really don't fire the athletic director over ONE SPORT. At least, that is the way it works at most universities, even Iowa. The AD is in charge of a multi-sport program, and only when there is obvious incompetence that affects several programs (such as with Bruce Van de Veld) do you fire him. Nebraska has been fairly competitive in a number of sports under Pedersen, so judging him on success across the whole athletic program at Nebraska, there is no way he should have been fired. But we all know that Nebraska is a one-sport school.
    I totally disagree-seriously. I don't like Nebbie much but I sure do respect what they have done...in the past. Furthermore, they are saying as a fan base "We MUST WIN!" and the fan base doesn't feel as though they have the right guy at the helm. Look we are in an evironment here where money talks, and if the money/support goes away so does the viability of the program. You may not like them, but they are long-term winners and they DON'T LIKE not winning. Cally is probably gone as well, and guess what they will have to pony-up to get the next guy in there, but that is THEIR choice and they have the $$$ to make happen why hate on them. They are treating this like a business(which college football has become) and they don't like the direction their business is headed. I respect the fact that they are saying "WIN", what would happen at ISU if we had similar demands? Well we would have to pony up..which we really haven't, spend money...which we really haven't, and get to have higher expectations. The rub here is we are just out of doing the same thing to Dan(albeit over a much longer time) as they are doing right now. The reaction in Stinkin' Lincoln is just more swift because they are addicted to winning-we aren't. So while I may not agree with much, I do admire their passion for winning! Winning is awesome, and look at ISU fans when we got a mere taste of success...imagine if there was generational success for us to be hooked on.

jmb

As far as depth goes though, the combination of White, Woodbury, Olaseni, Basabe, and Uthoff is much better than Niang, Ejim, Edozie, Gibson. Not because of the top 2, but because of the next 2 or 3. -DeanVogs

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post
    No, didn't you hear what they said yesterday? This had NOTHING to do with the football team's performance this week at all. What would give you that idea? They decided to do this a long time ago because it was obvious the entire athletic department had problems. Giving him a five year extension 6 months ago was just a big smokescreen, got it?
    /Husker fan

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think NU has had some good track and field, but we're talking non-revenue sports here mostly... although there v-ball team must generate something, they draw like 5k folks a game there. Baseball has been good in the last half-decade, even making the CWS twice I believe.

But I totally agree with Knownothing.... Perlman did a 180 after stating that he didn't like what he was hearing about the climate of the Ath. Dept. in August and early Sept... what, all the sudden things changed in that span of time? no way.

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 133
    Given: 205

Come on guys, it is ok if Jamie fires folks but not ok if they fire folks in Lincoln-that standard simply doesn't make sense. It is business and nothing more, not a Nebbie fan but we just went through a year of firings-seriously think about it.

j

As far as depth goes though, the combination of White, Woodbury, Olaseni, Basabe, and Uthoff is much better than Niang, Ejim, Edozie, Gibson. Not because of the top 2, but because of the next 2 or 3. -DeanVogs

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

I think you do fire someone over 1 sport when that sport is the lifeblood of the university and the entire state for that matter. IMO, Callahan and friends will be next once the season is complete. If you set up a standard for your fb team, no matter how ridiculous it may be on the surface, and you are no where near that standard then this is the result. Ask Solich. They are on a very slippery slope in terms of precedent though. Roman times in Lincoln - kill all and any in your way if it preserves your own power or perception of control. Our situation was different but by cleaning shop Pollard is on the hook for improvement in bball, fb and wrestling. I believe that will be the case in bball and wrestling. I'm holding judgement on fball with the hope that Chizik can do what no one has done before him. I hope I hope I hope.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 660
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

The official reasons I've seen are the defections of 5 key personnel w/in the athletic department in the last 6 months and his terrible management style. The timing of all of this is really curious though, given the reasons they are offering.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

This started in the summer - the head of the training facility who had been there since Osborne's glory years was fired. That started the two golf tournaments on the same day. One run by AD Peterson for a fund-raiser and another by Osborne and the old guard in honor of the person recently fired. The Osborne tourney was a big hit! A lot bigger than Peterson's. This is when the seeds for an implosion were planted.

Within the last couple of months Peterson wouldn't give interviews, nor accept calls on his radio show. The thing that ended up breaking his back were mass resignations in the AD office. With two big ones - the first was in charge of marketing, the second was in charge of fund-raising.

That's the one that finally did him in.

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 399
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 37

The fan sentiment that NU is supposed to be a top-10 program annually by birthright makes me want to puke. That having been said, I'd give my left grape to have their history and freak out over a 4-loss season.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 410
    Given: 296

Harvey Perlman decided the night before Okie State to let Steve go to the tune of $3M for the contract extension. It will take $3-4M to buy out Callahan at end of the season.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.