Jadda Buckley *verbal commitment to isu
    Allyson disterhoft
    Hayley Drewelow
    Mackenzie Freeman
    Brittany Holdsworth
    Shaya Kellogg
    Madelin Robson
    Madison Weekly

how many more do you think we would get? kellogg boyle buckley and weekly would be awesome

Addict
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 722
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 67

Re: 2013 iowa prospects

Quote Originally Posted by swiacyfan View Post
    NAME
    Madison Agey
    Mallory Boyle
    Allyson disterhoft
    Hayley Drewelow
    Mackenzie Freeman
    Brittany Holdsworth
    Shaya Kellogg
    Madelin Robson
    Madison Weekly

how many more do you think we would get? kellogg boyle buckley and weekly would be awesome
    I doubt we're too hard after anybody besides Buckley from Iowa in 2013

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,567
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 0

There's some interest in Disterhoft and Kellogg, although I don't know the level. I don't know if we are looking at any of the others.

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 779
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 18

Mired, is the Robson girl related to Sarah Robson ?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,567
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41

Quote Originally Posted by Royalclone View Post
    Mired, is the Robson girl related to Sarah Robson ?
    Doesn't look like it. The best idea I have is to see if they are Facebook friends, and they aren't.

Madi Robson is from Ankeny. She's a point guard averaging 4.5 PPG and is all-conference honorable mention. She's probably getting a scholarship somewhere, but she doesn't appear to be a top prospect at this point.

Freeman is from Silver Lake Kansas, not Iowa. The list of players comes from ESPN Hoopgurlz, which isn't always very accurate. Take the list with a grain of salt. A few years back, they had a Linn-Mar player listed who wasn't even starting. In some ways, it just looks like a random list of AAU players with the exception of the ones good enough to be graded.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by swiacyfan View Post
    NAME
    Madison Agey
    Mallory Boyle
    Allyson disterhoft
    Hayley Drewelow
    Mackenzie Freeman
    Brittany Holdsworth
    Shaya Kellogg
    Madelin Robson
    Madison Weekly

Weekly was hurt and didn't play in the state tourney, needless to say Benton lost in the first round.

There was not much chatter about coaches at the tourney this year. Probably didn't help that is was running the same week as the Big 10 tourney, and the last week of the regular season of the MVC and Big 12.

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 449
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    Doesn't look like it. The best idea I have is to see if they are Facebook friends, and they aren't.

Madi Robson is from Ankeny. She's a point guard averaging 4.5 PPG and is all-conference honorable mention. She's probably getting a scholarship somewhere, but she doesn't appear to be a top prospect at this point.

Freeman is from Silver Lake Kansas, not Iowa. The list of players comes from ESPN Hoopgurlz, which isn't always very accurate. Take the list with a grain of salt. A few years back, they had a Linn-Mar player listed who wasn't even starting. In some ways, it just looks like a random list of AAU players with the exception of the ones good enough to be graded.

If I remember right Sarah Robson was from north central Iowa. Madi is only a junior and the average will improve next year and she should get some notice from Div I schools. Manning scored a lot of points tonight but made some critical errors in the game that cost Ankeny the title. Judging from what I saw tonight and other games that she has played in, I don't think she could stand BF's style of coaching. DeJong never yells at his players and maybe that is why Nicki Wieben has such a hard time with Bill. Disterhoft looks real good but I would lay odds she goes to Iowa. Two real good tourney games tonight. I hope that BF has the 6-3 freshman post from Ankeny on the 2015 list. Jalee Winters looks very good and played a lot of minutes in tonight's championship game.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by 907CY View Post
    Manning scored a lot of points tonight but made some critical errors in the game that cost Ankeny the title. Judging from what I saw tonight and other games that she has played in, I don't think she could stand BF's style of coaching. DeJong never yells at his players and maybe that is why Nicki Wieben has such a hard time with Bill.

I had unfair expectations about Manning probably and only saw the end of the game due to the ISU men's game, but I was surprised by her free throw shooting. I thought she missed too many but don't want to be unfair. Does she usually make those? I'm sure for a top Big 12 school to sign her she has the talent and I like her size for a guard.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by 907CY View Post
    ...Manning scored a lot of points tonight but made some critical errors in the game that cost Ankeny the title. ... .
    Manning both almost won the game for them and then lost it. Ankeny was out of it until Manning took control in the 4th and scored half her points to rally them. But her mistakes were costly, as were those of a couple other players. What was most surprising to me was that the Ankeny coach did not give more direction (from what could be seen on TV) during those last couple of minutes. He should have been telling his players to settle down, don't foul, manage the clock, etc. Looked like he just let them play. I suppose there's something to be said for that, except that they lost a game when they seemed to have gotten over the hump.

It will be interesting to see how Manning develops at OU.

Prospect
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I want to pick up on something 907CY said which I personally found enlightening. The comment was made that Ankeny coach DeJong never yells at his players which is possibly the reason that Niki Wieben initially had so much trouble and that Madi Robson may not be able to stand BF's coaching style. I hope I have stated that correctly.

OK I know that the flamethrowers will be coming on here shortly but I wonder how many potential recruits don't consider ISU because of Bill's coaching style. I'm sure that someone here can provide some insight but I have wondered why Madi Manning left for OK and Taylor Greenfield to Stanford.

To my eye from a distance, Greenfield should have been the recruiting equivalent of a "bunny". She lived only a short distance away and had two former teammates currently on the team here yet it seemed like we never had a serious shot at signing her. Manning is not quite the same situation but similar, not far away, Ankeny girls that played here but really no shot.

Am I stretching things too far to say that Bill's coaching style is beginning to deny us access to some of the most successful girls high school programs in central Iowa? I know that recruiting is not predictable since we are dealing with 15-18 year-old kids but there seems to be something of a pattern here.

At least we won't have to play against Greenfield except for NCAA tournament but we are going to be looking at Manning a lot. On the men's side, supposedly the reason for LaFrentz, Collison and Hinrich going to Kansas was the greater success possible there. Is that the same here or is it really that these girls don't want to play for Bill because of his style?

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 779
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerClone View Post
    I want to pick up on something 907CY said which I personally found enlightening. The comment was made that Ankeny coach DeJong never yells at his players which is possibly the reason that Niki Wieben initially had so much trouble and that Madi Robson may not be able to stand BF's coaching style. I hope I have stated that correctly.

OK I know that the flamethrowers will be coming on here shortly but I wonder how many potential recruits don't consider ISU because of Bill's coaching style. I'm sure that someone here can provide some insight but I have wondered why Madi Manning left for OK and Taylor Greenfield to Stanford.

To my eye from a distance, Greenfield should have been the recruiting equivalent of a "bunny". She lived only a short distance away and had two former teammates currently on the team here yet it seemed like we never had a serious shot at signing her. Manning is not quite the same situation but similar, not far away, Ankeny girls that played here but really no shot.

Am I stretching things too far to say that Bill's coaching style is beginning to deny us access to some of the most successful girls high school programs in central Iowa? I know that recruiting is not predictable since we are dealing with 15-18 year-old kids but there seems to be something of a pattern here.

At least we won't have to play against Greenfield except for NCAA tournament but we are going to be looking at Manning a lot. On the men's side, supposedly the reason for LaFrentz, Collison and Hinrich going to Kansas was the greater success possible there. Is that the same here or is it really that these girls don't want to play for Bill because of his style?
    No flame intended here, but Greenfield got a chance to go to easily the most elite school for the combination of education and woman's basketball. We didn't have much of a chance when they showed interest and she got accepted.

Maybe the suggested coaching style played into Manning's decision, maybe not. she could have just seen OU fitting into her style a little better, and/or maybe she wanted to get further from home to be on her own. With internet, cell phones, skype, and facetime being away from family and friends is not like it used to be.

My daughter is studying in China this semester, and we visit with her on skype almost daily. Not as tough as it was when you all you could look forward to were letters and infrequent, expensive long distance phone calls

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,059
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 147

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerClone View Post

You raise a valid question, but if you watch the elite coaches in our conf or any other they are verbal much like Bill is. Watch tenn, Oklahoma, baylor, etc. if they can't stand the pressure of D1 ball they should go where it's easier.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,001
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 163

I watched Manning play this year and she does not fit our style and really will have to bulk up quite abit to make it in the Big 12. In the finals she had trouble bringing the ball up against girls that are not any way as rough as she will find in D1 Big 12 play. You recruit players that fit your game and I believe what Bill has coming in are far better than Manning.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 30

Sounds like to me that Manning knew it was OU all the way.

“It’s really been Oklahoma all along since I had my first visit (in the fall),” she said. “I’ve been talking to some other schools just to get a feel for all of them, but there’s only one Oklahoma and I knew that.”

Ankeny’s Manning commits to Oklahoma | Des Moines Register Staff Blogs