Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 395
    Given: 1,670

What's up with the play calling?

I don't want to sound too negative but the play calling Saturday was atrocious at times! We ran the same play at one point in the 3rd quarter 2 times out of 3 and then even ran it again the next possession. It was some fancy little mis-direction with a fake throw to the left and then a dump off to the RB. I think it worked the first time in the game for ~8 yard gain.

Also, once we get into the red zone, why are we settling with taking 1 shot into the endzone. If we throw on 2nd down we give up and run on 3rd down, content with the FG try for some reason...

But, at the end of the day I'll still be there cheering my butt off!

Last edited by The_Architect; 10-15-2007 at 12:36 PM. Reason: typo
    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: What's up with the play calling?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    I don't want to sound too negative but the play calling Saturday was atrocious at times! We ran the same play at one point in the 3rd quarter 2 times out of 3 and then even ran it again the next possession. It was some fancy little mis-direction with a fake throw to the left and then a dump off to the RB. I think it worked the first time in the game for ~8 yard gain.

Also, once we get into the red zone, why are we settling with taking 1 shot into the endzone. If we throw on 2nd down we give up and run on 3rd down, content with the FG try for some reason...

But, at the end of the day I'll still be there cheering my butt off!
    I didn't pay a whole lot attention - and quite frankly didn't stick around for that much of the 3rd quarter. But I wonder how much of a vanilla offense might have coinicided with some new players getting in - and just not at QB?

I thought that the play calling in the first half was pretty decent. The reverse throwback was nice to see, as was that variation of the statue-of-liberty. Nice to see them do some different stuff. We ran the ball with some success, but as you said - sphinchters got puckered when we hit that redzone. Fact was, pi$$ poor D put us in a hole early and it's pretty easy to just sit back in zone D's when you have to throw and you're outmanned on the lines when it comes to anything regarding the run.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 383
    Given: 251

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmaybe it could have something to do with the fact we can't execute much on offense with any consistency?

Coaches can only call plays they think will at least have some chance of working.

Did ya notice Texas ran the same damn play many times against us, putting a receiver in the slot and simply just dumping it to him time and time again on a quick 5-yard out?

The difference is...we didn't stop it and they can actually execute their plays.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmaybe it could have something to do with the fact we can't execute much on offense with any consistency?
    Along with lack of execution, it is also related to team speed. I swear we are in slow motion out there. I never have to look at the video board after a play because I have already seen in slow motion on the field.

Starter
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

i'm mostly upset with constant third down plays where the play is designed to be thrown short of the first down marker and they expect the player to make a play. sometimes you need to understand what you have and throw the ball past the first down marker

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Vanilla? Were we at the same game? We had several trick plays and overall they seemed in the first two quarters to really be aggressive and I was impressed with play calling. Yes, if you want to knock a vanilla play calling system once we are down 4 or 5 touchdowns and Arnaud is in that is a different thing. But you have to start our backups somewhere.

“Also, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I don’t want to leave any of that behind.” - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Legend
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 395
    Given: 1,670

Also, why did it take us until the 4th quarter to hit the TE in the seam? We insist on throwing the out patterns!

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It does seem that at least 1 of 3 play calls is always a run... especially in the red zone. I watched the Patriots yesterday and they like to pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, run, pass, pass, pass. Of course they have Tom Brady, but I still think we have more firepower in our passing game as compared to our running game (what's our longest run of the year?).

To his credit, Chizik has taken on all of the responsibility for the losses (probably more than he should). He is trying very hard not to criticize the players as he knows the season is barely half over. Let's hope the players respond in kind with a much better performance against OU.

Starter
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Also, why did it take us until the 4th quarter to hit the TE in the seam? We insist on throwing the out patterns!

i agree meyer has to throw the ball 20 yards to hit a three yard out pattern

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

We threw a seam route? Mark the date and time.

How many passes across the middle is that now? Four? Five?

We throw the outs way, way, way too often. Wonder if we don't trust somebody to throw it in there - or count on some others to catch it.

Oh, and we can put the bubble screen to rest as well.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 383
    Given: 251

Tight end has been one of the most under-utilized positions in our offense for a while now. And, we've had some decent guys at that position.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,109
    Given: 790

Let's just put it this way - when anytime the ball is thrown to a TE it becomes a tip drill for the opposing defense, Blythe doesn't run hard on passes that aren't coming his way and only completes the routes of his choosing, and Meyer has 3 seconds to get rid of the ball, but in that time he's locked onto his first option and the defense is already sending 3-4 guys in that direction - is it any wonder that the offense coordinator isn't more creative pass plays? I mean seriously, it seems like running the ball is the best option on most occasions simply because Bass and Scales are one of the few players that haven't quit this season yet! An offense run in those kinds of circumstances can't handle the kind of creativity you speak of!

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I think most of our linemen are still in it. They were just outmanned on Saturday.

I was watching the highlights () last night on the coach's show. And on a bunch of the runs, a lineman or two were downfield at least picking Scales up. That's a little effort and enthusiasm I like to see.

All-Star
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,068
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 11

Tight end has been one of the most under-utilized positions in our offense for a while now. And, we've had some decent guys at that position.
    Hard to throw it to a TE when he's busy helping our patchwork O-line block.

Rookie
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Coaches can only call plays they think will at least have some chance of working.

Did ya notice Texas ran the same damn play many times against us, putting a receiver in the slot and simply just dumping it to him time and time again on a quick 5-yard out?

The difference is...we didn't stop it and they can actually execute their plays.
    I completely agree...the coaches know what can work and what can't. They WANT to score like all of us. And don't think they don't agonize over every play on film. 22 is right on the money here.