Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

Interesting stats from the game last night

Here are the stats from the game (per the DMR) which I think are pretty revealing:

2 pt. FG%/Attempts: ISU 39.7/68 & MU 54.7/53 (ISU + 15 attempts)
    3 pt. FG%/Attempts: ISU 38.7/31 & MU 33.3/12 (ISU + 19 attempts)
    FT %/Attempts: ISU 85.7/7 & MU 69.6/23 (MU +16 attempts!!)
    OR/TR: ISU 18/39 & MU 4/28 (ISU +14 OR & + 11 TR)
    Assists: ISU 18 & MU 14 (ISU +4)
    Blocks: ISU 0 & MU 5 (skewed, IMO, by what the zebras called as a F on ISU vs what they called as a block on MU)
    Steals: ISU 9 & MU 7 (ISU +2)
    Turnovers: ISU 15 & MU 12

Does this appear to indicate that the zebras had an influence on the outcome of this game??? When you consider that MU is credited with 5 blocks and ISU zero, we all know that our actual blocks were called fouls so when you add that to the mix, it sure looks like our team played well enough for them to be the winners in this game (definitely, I agree that our 2nd half was perhaps our C+ game, not our A game). When you out shoot, out rebound and hit the few FTs you're given, one would think you just chalked up a W.

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,096
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 1

Re: Interesting stats from the game last night

I don't think the refs cost us the game.

The only real problem I had with how the game was called was Dixon's handchecking and swiping at the ball. Usually the big demonstrative swipes get called as fouls even if the player gets all ball, just because it "looks" like a foul.

I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,663
    Given: 787

I didn't like how they bumped into Babb twice in a minute and he got called for the foul both times, but they would jump all over us and wouldn't get whistled.

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by marlincone View Post
    Here are the stats from the game (per the DMR) which I think are pretty revealing:

Blocks: ISU 0 & MU 5 (skewed, IMO, by what the zebras called as a F on ISU vs what they called as a block on MU)

Does this appear to indicate that the zebras had an influence on the outcome of this game??? When you consider that MU is credited with 5 blocks and ISU zero, we all know that our actual blocks were called fouls so when you add that to the mix, it sure looks like our team played well enough for them to be the winners in this game (definitely, I agree that our 2nd half was perhaps our C+ game, not our A game). When you out shoot, out rebound and hit the few FTs you're given, one would think you just chalked up a W.

So you're saying we took 99 shots from the field last night?

Let Me Mayor Coach!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 15

Wheres Brent Blum when you need his inside knowledge of the stripes?!? Someone use the Bat-Signal to get his take on this topic!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 342
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 160

Quote Originally Posted by Cyforce View Post
    So you're saying we took 99 shots from the field last night?
    His first line should be overall FG, not 2pt.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 675
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 49

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCubswin View Post
    I didn't like how they bumped into Babb twice in a minute and he got called for the foul both times, but they would jump all over us and wouldn't get whistled.
    These are really only the calls I had a problem with. Mizzou knows that Babb is our lockdown guy, so going at him like that right at the start of the half was smart, but there didn't seem to be enough contact there for a foul.

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 997
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 3

mizzou has won more games with favorable officiating this year than any team i can remember.

amazed at what they get away with every game on the perimeter. (i.e. AJ Walton was guarding one of the Presseys, arm/hand expended keeping a distance and fingers at his chest, pressey slaps the hand away forcefully, ok AJ puts the hand back, gets it slapped away harder, whistle, foul on Walton. wait? what?)
    I've lost count how many times a guard gets a step and the mizzou defender grabs his back arm and jersey to get back in position with no call)

Last edited by baylrballa; 03-01-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCy View Post
    His first line should be overall FG, not 2pt.
    Really?

Let Me Mayor Coach!

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 348
    Given: 249

Does this appear to indicate that the zebras had an influence on the outcome of this game???
    No. Break those stats up into first/second half values, and it will give you a better picture of the game.

The FG attempt differential was about that value at half time. Same for the rebounding differential. Those things were built in the first half, and were a good part of the reason why ISU led at half time.

ISU got a way from the physical game (i.e. pounding the boards) in the second half that was responsible for those first half positive differentials, and did not build on them in the second half. ISU needed those extra FG attempts and rebounds in the second half because of the poor 2nd half shooting. The 2pt FG% dropped from upper 40% in the first half to lower 30% in the second half. The poor shooting also allowed MU to get into the running game.

Furthermore, ISU didn't exploit RW's interior advantage on offense in the second half, but was content to have SC dribble around with little positive result. Ratliffe was in foul trouble, but ISU didn't exploit it.

ISU had a nice first half, but they didn't outshoot and outrebound MU in second half when the game was in the balance, and they didn't have enough of a first half lead to survive.

As far as the FTs, RW only shot one. Given his advantage, he should have had 25-30 shot attempts in that game (instead of the 16 which he ended up with, 4 being 3pt attempts), which would have undoubtedly led to more FT attempts for ISU.

You said yourself ISU brought their C+ game for the second half. Do you really expect to beat a top 10 team at their place playing a C+ game for the second half? Referee conspiracies aren't needed to explain this game.

If ISU plays MU again, the Clones need to exploit RW's physical advantage inside, crash the boards for the whole game, and let MU have their few fast breaks. MU can't run the fast break if they don't get rebounds.

Last edited by jbhtexas; 03-01-2012 at 01:54 PM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Brett Blume
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 239
    Given: 184

Quote Originally Posted by liljones13 View Post
    Wheres Brent Blum when you need his inside knowledge of the stripes?!? Someone use the Bat-Signal to get his take on this topic!
    I didn't think the refs were awful by any means. Mizzou was allowed to play physical in the paint. And for the most part, so was Iowa State. Keep in mind, Mizzou shot six free throws in the last 40 seconds when the Cyclones were forced to foul. For a game as intense and hard-fought as that one was to only have 23 free throws taken total (until the last 40 seconds) means they were letting them play. Granted, Babb picked up two dicey fouls early in the 2nd half, but other than that it was not for the faint of heart and to get a foul you had to earn it.

I prefer that to the ISU-Texas games in Ames where 69 free throws were taken.

A lot of fans don't like John Higgins (the ref with the fancy hair), but he is widely regarded as one of the best in the biz and has done 3 straight final fours.

Just my two cents, go back to your regular scheduled programming.

Twitter.com/brentblum

All-Star
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 984
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 29

23-7 free throw advantage in that game is just silly with the way Mizzou plays. Last night was simply a make-up by Big 12 officials for them getting screwed at KU.

Now they owe us one.

Starter
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 5

I hear ya. That put us with 2 team fouls in less than a minute. Then Scotty would receive the same treatment and wasn't given any love.
    Royce's charge was suspect also.

Cy 'till I Die

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Let it go!!!!!

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,619
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 45

This will be my only contribution to the "refs sucked" theme. I pretty much stayed off the subject last night.

(a) Yes, Babb once again did a great job on Denmon (in the first half). In fact, the announcers were very complimentary of Babb as a shutdown defender and kept Denmon "out of the game". Then, Babb gets whistled for two straight fouls guarding Denmon on the dribble. Totally changed the complexion of the game. Legit calls? Maybe, maybe not. But don't call that stuff and then let Scotty and Chris Allen get hacked at continually on our end with nothing called.

(b) I thought the charge call against Royce was complete crap. Again, a big call at a key time. Fatbutt Moore just slid in front of him and went down.

(c) Is it just me, or how many times do other guards get to pick up their dribble and take two giant steps to the hoop with no traveling call? The irony is that I checked out the MU board last night, and they think ISU gets away with a lot of travel no-calls. Eye of the beholder I guess.

That being said, I think we (not the refs) "lost" that game.

(a) In the late second half we started running around like chickens with our heads cut off on offense. I put that on Hoiberg and Scott. The offense should have flowed through RW. He could have found shooters on the perimeter. Scotty driving all over hell and back was worthless.

(b) There was an article in the KC Star a couple of weeks ago about how MU practices taking charges, and takes pride in the stat of leading the conference in getting charge calls. I hope our staff notices. How many times would it have been easy to get some position and let those bullheaded MU guards just run right into us? Shame no one on ISU would step up and take a charge instead of playing matador defense and waving at MU as they drove right into our bodies or around us.