A question...
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 105

Thread: A question...

  1. #1
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,819
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    A question...

    I see that the Mac people are on here firing away, and that is fine. I do have a question for everyone actually. I will preface this by saying that the intent is for discussion, not another Mac bash post.

    Over the past two decades, there has been stability at the top of the football program, Walden was here for eight years before Mac.

    Yet watching that game Saturday, we are further away than ever from being competitive with UT. It was like a 4A school playing a jr high out there Saturday. The disparity in talent, physical and football wise, was so great that you cannot judge the schemes at this point.

    Simply put how, when a program has been stable, does this happen??? How are we worse than we were in 03???

    You can say assistant's (Lord knows people have tried to use them as excuses previously), but no staff stays intact. As much as I liked Skladeny, the fact that he was here 12 years doesn't speak well of him.

    So how does this happen????


    Jeffrey A Crawford

  2. #2
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 272,658, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    16,911
    Points
    272,658
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 677
    Given: 396

    Re: A question...

    Considering we have roughly the same talent level on the field last year, we had a better showing against Texas at their place.

    I think there is regression from last year to this year but that is to be expected with a new staff, new system, new philosophy, etc. When you are Iowa State, you have to take a step back to take 2 steps forward. Only a handful of the elite programs don't have to do that.

    I expect improvement next year as Chizik will have another full offseason to shape the program. Ron Zook said it best taking over a new program:

    Year 1 - You lose and lose bad.
    Year 2 - You lose but a lot closer.
    Year 3 - You start to win.
    Year 4 - You win a lot.

    That was his mindset going to Illinois. Whether he is a year ahead of his schedule remains to be seen. But I'm allowing Chizik this timetable. If we don't see significant improvements in Year 3 and 4, then I will be worried.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 91,556, Level: 94
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYdTracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,700
    Points
    91,556
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

    Re: A question...

    Ok I'm not even sure what you are trying to get at here as you are all over the place. Not having stability is not always a good thing yet having stability and not having success is not a good thing either.

    You and I don't always see eye to eye on things I know but what exactly was wrong with Skladeny? We had some great defenses with him and I believe he was the first coach on the staff to take a new job after the fallout right? I'm sure isufbcurt can say something about him since he played for him. We had some bad seasons but the most "stability" as far as maintain some stretch of winning seasons came during the Mac era.


    Go Cubs Go!

  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 57,459, Level: 74
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,091
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    benjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,693
    Points
    57,459
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 28

    Re: A question...

    Quote Originally Posted by darts180 View Post
    I will preface this by saying that the intent is for discussion, not another Mac bash post.
    This is a "let's discuss how bad of a recruiter Mac was" thread thinly veiled as a discussion piece.



  5. #5
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,819
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: A question...

    Quote Originally Posted by benjay View Post
    This is a "let's discuss how bad of a recruiter Mac was" thread thinly veiled as a discussion piece.

    No there buddy, it's a serious question.

    We have "roughly the same talent" as one post said. Which may or may not be true.

    And as far as Skladeny goes, assistants, especially coordinators, move from school to school regularly. The fact that he was here 12 years, raises all kinds of questions about opinions of him.


    Jeffrey A Crawford

  6. #6
    Starter Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    MaxPower57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    924
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: A question...

    idk, we actually lost quite a few good players from last year...

    Kock (the team's MVP), Nickel (a TE who can stretch the field), Davis & Flynn (nuff said), Stephenson, Brant, Zehr (multi-year starters) Curvey & Moorehead (big play and ISUs all time sack leader) McKenzie (a starter for the #2 team in the land) and D-Jack (better than Bell or Singleton) then guys like Hicks, Baum, etc....

    ...so even though we sucked last year, i believe that we are at a lower talent level this year, and although i hate to say it, we may be at an even lower level next year. its gonna be a long process.



  7. #7
    CF Founder
    Points: 240,663, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Urbandale, IA
    Posts
    13,448
    Points
    240,663
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 416
    Given: 370

    Re: A question...

    I think the only reason is because of Mac. He didn't get good recruits for the most part and the ones he did get barely ever made it to campus, let alone games. He may have been a great motivator and PR person but he wasn't a GREAT coach or recruiter. A few things can be blamed on luck or whatever you want but after 12 years it rests completely on the heads of the man in charge.


    A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 261,284, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,872
    Points
    261,284
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 0

    Re: A question...

    I think our talent is much lower than it was last year. Much lower.



  9. #9
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,819
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: A question...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I think the only reason is because of Mac. He didn't get good recruits for the most part and the ones he did get barely ever made it to campus, let alone games. He may have been a great motivator and PR person but he wasn't a GREAT coach or recruiter. A few things can be blamed on luck or whatever you want but after 12 years it rests completely on the heads of the man in charge.
    That's not what I am trying to do Jeremy. It isn't Mac this or that, just like it was never Walden this or that like many of the pro Mac people on here chant like mantra. But we see threads like Mac is laughing, I see those folks firing back, almost relishing how bad this is.


    I will be honest, I was disgusted with what happened Saturday. I can handle losing, but to see that group show the same lack of pride that they showed last year is my breaking point with this senior class. As DW Rutledge used to say when kids punked out during practice, "I hate it what they are *******."


    Jeffrey A Crawford

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 343,827, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    32,656
    Points
    343,827
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 597
    Given: 368

    Re: A question...

    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I think our talent is much lower than it was last year. Much lower.
    It seems like it. We did bring back virtually the same offense, minus our stating running back and offensive line. So this really should not be a surprise that we're struggling on offense, especially in the 2nd half. We scored what, a horrible 5sih points per game in the 2nd half of games last year?

    We lost some experienced athletes on defense last year and with exception of the last 2 games, I think we've been a little better there.

    However, the thing that will help us next year is graduation of current players. Partially to get an influx of better talent (hopefully) but the other part - and maybe more importantly - to get more players out of the program with an early-quit, non-response to adversity attitude.



  11. #11
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,819
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: A question...

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    It seems like it. We did bring back virtually the same offense, minus our stating running back and offensive line. So this really should not be a surprise that we're struggling on offense, especially in the 2nd half. We scored what, a horrible 5sih points per game in the 2nd half of games last year?

    We lost some experienced athletes on defense last year and with exception of the last 2 games, I think we've been a little better there.

    However, the thing that will help us next year is graduation of current players. Partially to get an influx of better talent (hopefully) but the other part - and maybe more importantly - to get more players out of the program with an early-quit, non-response to adversity attitude.

    So do you think that it is a losing climate that has put us further behind then???

    I can see that, this group still has no clue as to how to handle adversity, and that hasn't changed with them from freshmen to now. But, as a coach, how is that fixable???


    Jeffrey A Crawford

  12. #12
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 272,658, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    16,911
    Points
    272,658
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 677
    Given: 396

    Re: A question...

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower57 View Post
    idk, we actually lost quite a few good players from last year...

    Kock (the team's MVP), Nickel (a TE who can stretch the field), Davis & Flynn (nuff said), Stephenson, Brant, Zehr (multi-year starters) Curvey & Moorehead (big play and ISUs all time sack leader) McKenzie (a starter for the #2 team in the land) and D-Jack (better than Bell or Singleton) then guys like Hicks, Baum, etc....

    ...so even though we sucked last year, i believe that we are at a lower talent level this year, and although i hate to say it, we may be at an even lower level next year. its gonna be a long process.
    I agree somewhat. Stephenson, Brant, and Zehr laid a big fat poop colored egg last year. I would argue that our o-line is better this year compared to last year. Much better. We did lose a couple of key defensive guys and losing Flynn probably hurt the most, I will agree there. However, we brought in Bass who has played better than expected when healthy. We brought in Bell who was played well at times (we lost D-Jack but we played most of the season without him last year). Scales has also played well after limited action last season. IMO, the talent level is at least comparable.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 57,459, Level: 74
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,091
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    benjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,693
    Points
    57,459
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 28

    Re: A question...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I think the only reason is because of Mac. He didn't get good recruits for the most part and the ones he did get barely ever made it to campus, let alone games. He may have been a great motivator and PR person but he wasn't a GREAT coach or recruiter. A few things can be blamed on luck or whatever you want but after 12 years it rests completely on the heads of the man in charge.
    I do agree, but my point is that this is the only real answer - which I think is what Darts was getting at. :)



  14. #14
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 272,658, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    16,911
    Points
    272,658
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 677
    Given: 396

    Re: A question...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I think the only reason is because of Mac. He didn't get good recruits for the most part and the ones he did get barely ever made it to campus, let alone games. He may have been a great motivator and PR person but he wasn't a GREAT coach or recruiter. A few things can be blamed on luck or whatever you want but after 12 years it rests completely on the heads of the man in charge.
    I disagree. I think a lot of it is the switching of systems, coaches, techniques, philosophies, etc. That stuff takes time.

    I would be my house that if Mac were the coach this year, we would have more than 1 win. No question in my mind. However, I'm glad coach Chizik is here because in the long run, I think we will be much, much better off. It's just getting through the first couple of years that will be difficult for fans.



  15. #15
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,819
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: A question...

    Quote Originally Posted by benjay View Post
    I do agree, but my point is that this is the only real answer - which I think is what Darts was getting at. :)

    No, as I said, I don't see how you can be this bad, with the stability that we have had in this program. The answer has to be more complicated than that.

    If Gene were our third coach in ten years then I can see that. But we went from being a 6 win team to a one win team basically overnight. That shouldn't happen, and the answer has to be more than just the last coach ran us into the ground.....I didn't buy it from Mac, so I will not buy it due to him either.


    Jeffrey A Crawford

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM