SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Re: WalMart

Quote Originally Posted by crash_zone View Post
    I avoid walmart whenever possible.
    Its easy for me to avoid WalMart. It is not physically possible to drive to a WalMart from this area.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Newton, Iowa is a great example of how WalMart didn't have a negative effect (as far as I'm concerned.)

Before the WalMart Supercenter came to Newton, shopping downtown consisted of attempting to purchase grossly overpriced, dated goods, while customer service was non-existent at best, or rude and unhelpful at worst.

Since the SuperCenter went in, the places that were expensive, with dated product, and p*ss-poor customer service have went out of business. The stores that stayed, and even expanded, were the few that were managed well, and had good customer service. The hardware store became much, much bigger, the book store suddenly made efforts to become more interesting, the paint store simply had too good of customer service to go under, the sporting goods store has expanded and moved and one of the abandoned store fronts became a coffee shop, which does terrific business, and was sorely needed in that town. One of the other store fronts became a wine shop, and another became a kitchen shop.

Several new businesses have opened up around the downtown area that do things that Wal-Mart cannot, or no longer does. Such as a "real" hunting store, with target ranges. And a consignment store.

All this happened in a town that had stable to negative job and population growth, independent of Wal-Mart.

The people who work at Wal-Mart ALL have the opportunity to "jump through the hoops" to get education, additional training and get promoted to management, should they have the abilities and determination to do it. The local stores have "zero" promotion path. Unfortunately, some Wal-Mart employees who are unwilling or unable to do what it takes are very publicly criticizing the lack of promotion, low pay or lack of union. I don't think they have a very strong case.

Having said that, I DO have some issues with Wal-Mart. First, their property management side makes Adolph Hitler look like a wimp. They make extremely bad neighbors. And for the love of Mike, if you are ever injured as a result of Wal-Mart negligence, you are doomed. Your grandchildren may actually see a portion of whatever legal settlement is coming your way.

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 277
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 18

I stay away from Wally World when ever I have the choice

2009 FLHR - Vivid Black

I don't sweat the petty things,... I pet the sweaty things

Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

can you buy walls there
    "Paris Hilton"

All-Star
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,044
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't understand the hatred towards Wal-Mart. I certainly know they don't do everything right, but I love the place. We should note that Wal Mart provides thousands of jobs to people and usually has a positive economic impact on their immediate neighborhoods, especially smaller communities. I know there are issues with low pay, poor benefits, & unequal pay, etc. (some of which I think are overstated)

It's Target that ticks me off...why would any store kick out the salvation army during the Holiday season? Do they have something against helping the poor & less fortunate?..... That's when I quit using Target.

Sorry for the soapbox sermon

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by ISU_phoria View Post
    I don't understand the hatred towards Wal-Mart. I certainly know they don't do everything right, but I love the place. We should note that Wal Mart provides thousands of jobs to people and usually has a positive economic impact on their immediate neighborhoods, especially smaller communities. I know there are issues with low pay, poor benefits, & unequal pay, etc. (some of which I think are overstated)

It's Target that ticks me off...why would any store kick out the salvation army during the Holiday season? Do they have something against helping the poor & less fortunate?..... That's when I quit using Target.

Sorry for the soapbox sermon

The hatred for walmart to me is:

Their abondoning of "Made in the USA"
    Their horrible treatment of employees.
    Their overuse of government programs for the poor.
    Their clients.
    The lardasses in the store that are so amazed by a case of doritos that you cannot get by them to get your few things you need.

After getting so sick of wal-mart that I just could not take it anymore, I became a target shareholder because they seem to be everything wal-mart is not. The prices are almost as good, the stores are bright, and easy to navigate. The quality of goods is much higher. The cashiers don't looking like rejects from the meth treatment center. They treat their customers like customers instead of potential shoplifters.

I cannot say enough good things about target, and enough bad things about walmart. That being said, I will only go to walmart if target is closed and I need tylenol for the kids at 2am. There is just no other reason to go.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Walk On Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Remember when Wal Mart's big marketing was "We sell only American products." Boy, how things have changed.

Be sure to read #13

I was blown away by these mind-boggling statistics on Wal-Mart.

1. At Wal-Mart, Americans spend $36,000,000 every hour of every day.

2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!

3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.

4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.

5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private employer.

6 .Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the World.

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.

8. During this same period, 31 Supermarket chains sought bankruptcy (including Winn-Dixie).

9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are Super Centers; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 years ago.

11. This year, 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur at a Wal-Mart store. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 billion).

12. 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart.

13. You could save Wal-mart a lot of trouble if you would just go ahead and make your checks out to the Chinese government. Almost everything Wal-Mart sells was made in China. If Wal-Mart were a country they would be China's sixth biggest export sucker/customer. Goodbye American jobs! Goodbye privately owned American businesses. Welcome to multi-nationally owned big business. They sure hate to outsource our jobs (white and blue collar), "Yeah sure!" Hello gold drain! Say goodbye to what was the American dream of the common man.

This is copied and pasted from an email I got awhile back. I don't have sources for any of it, but it sounds about right.

All-Star
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,044
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    The hatred for walmart to me is:

Their abondoning of "Made in the USA"
    Their horrible treatment of employees.
    Their overuse of government programs for the poor.
    Their clients.
    The lardasses in the store that are so amazed by a case of doritos that you cannot get by them to get your few things you need.

After getting so sick of wal-mart that I just could not take it anymore, I became a target shareholder because they seem to be everything wal-mart is not. The prices are almost as good, the stores are bright, and easy to navigate. The quality of goods is much higher. The cashiers don't looking like rejects from the meth treatment center. They treat their customers like customers instead of potential shoplifters.

I cannot say enough good things about target, and enough bad things about walmart. That being said, I will only go to walmart if target is closed and I need tylenol for the kids at 2am. There is just no other reason to go.
    Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree...

I will point out one error in your message though. Wal-Mart never claimed to have only "Made in the USA" merchandise, but tried to provide an equivalent alternate for all products that aren't made in the US. And, they still try to do so. Wal Mart's policies haven't changed regarding this, it's just a fabrication by Wal-Mart opponents to make Wal-Mart look bad

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISU_phoria View Post
    Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree...

I will point out one error in your message though. Wal-Mart never claimed to have only "Made in the USA" merchandise, but tried to provide an equivalent alternate for all products that aren't made in the US. And, they still try to do so. Wal Mart's policies haven't changed regarding this, it's just a fabrication by Wal-Mart opponents to make Wal-Mart look bad
    I am not saying they always had made in the USA only, I was just saying that used to be the big slogan. I respected that, now they don't even try to offer you a made in the US alertnative. It is all made in china.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Walk On Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Their business tactics of bullying companies into big discounts because they buy so much stuff doesn't sit well with me.

"Big food companies including Kraft, which gets 10% of its revenue from Wal-Mart, have not been able to raise prices as quickly as they once did because of Wal-Mart's demands, says Jonathan Feeney, a consumer products analyst at investment firm SunTrust Robinson Humphrey. Kraft declined to comment.

History has shown that suppliers suffer if they run afoul of Wal-Mart. Rubbermaid raised the prices it charged Wal-Mart in the mid-1990s because of an 80% jump in the cost of a key ingredient in its plastic containers. The retailer responded by giving more shelf space to lower-priced competitors, helping drive Rubbermaid into a 1999 merger with rival Newell, says John Mariotti, a former Rubbermaid executive. "Rubbermaid earned Wal-Mart's wrath by not giving it the best deal," he says."

An excerpt from: USATODAY.com - Wal-Mart's influence grows

There is also this article Costco: The 'anti-Wal-Mart' - MSN Money which is really more about Costco than Wal-Mart...but it goes to show that you can make a good profit and still treat employees like they really matter.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,163
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 146
    Given: 38

Wal-mart is a beacon of American capitalism.

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

Pro
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,082
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 410

Hey Target snobs, your Merona underwear is made in china, too!

Last edited by kilgore_trout; 10-16-2007 at 08:14 PM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kilgore_trout View Post
    Hey Target snobs, your Merona underwear is made in china, too!
    Again, no one ever claimed that everything in target was made in the US. It is just a company with better products, customers, stores, policies, ethics, treatment of employees, and the list goes on and on.