Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Questions on Anna Prins

I have been a huge Anna Prins fan since she arrived. Part of this stems from the fact I have a son who is a legit 6'8" in stocking feet, having watched him play as a kid - and no, if you are wondering, he lost interest in organized BB around 12-13 yrs old - bummer for a dad thinking college tuition and Cyclone basketball

It seems Anna has seen her time on the court diminish as she advances in year group - no longer a starter for instance. I know a part of this is due to injury and conditioning and other players at her position. She may not be the most athletic person on the court - similar to my son. In looking at statistics, however, she has really good numbers in terms of shooting% and FT% on a team that lacks offensive firepower. She can be prone to turnovers occasionally and does not pull down the rebounds you would expect from someone her height. But then looking at time on the court and extrapolating her minutes and stats, she would theoretically be near the top every game in terms of points and rebounds.

Two questions - first, should she be getting more minutes - if so why and if not why not?

Second, having watched the opposing team's stats and scoreboard when my son was playing, while he never lit up the stat line, the opposing team always lost ground when he was in the game. Bottom line was he only needs one step to cover the lane, has a low center of gravity for someone his height, like Anna, and his length altered the inside game of the opponent. So the question for those who actually watch the games and know better than I, does Anna have the same impact on the game?

All-Star
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 712
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Re: Questions on Anna Prins

I've never left a WBB game thinking Anna should have played more. She has been hurt, sick, or trying to get back into good shape after being sick a lot during her career. Hopefully next year she gets a full summer and then season at 100%.

Also with that height sometimes she is a great matchup, but other times really not a good matchup.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Okay so look at conference stats, because honestly the non-conference games are like playing high school teams.

Who's Third in FT% ? 77.8%
    Who's Second in 3PT% ? 36.7%
    Who's Second in FG% ? 46.2%
    Who's Second in PTS/G ? 9.5
    Who's Leading the team in Blocks? 10

And who only has the 8th most minutes on the team?

If you are a knowledgeable fan you would know this, for the others I am sorry but don't call yourself a fan that knows what they are talking about. To answer the question originally asked, yes she can be a game changer, and sometimes its better for her to not be in. Thats called sports strategy, even Griner can be exploited and shut down, ISU did it before.

The Coaching this year has been subject to questioning, dribbling out the clock when its tied... Letting teams run down the court for open last second threes.... putting in players that are injured.... Off the court problems... just leaves me questioning why you would let a player like Nikki shoot 3's all the time 16-66 24.2& in conference....
    and Brynn's shooting 26-86 30.2% from the field? Lean on the Seniors, the poor freshman shouldn't be shooting this much..... because they are freshman and they will develop to be great athletes, just not right away.

Lack of realizing talent and efficiency

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Anna's PT is hurt by the fact that we have three legitimate good post options. In conference play, she's averaging 20 minutes per game while Pop and HC are around 30 per game. I've found it curious a few times where she played well in the first half only to barely see the floor in the second half. In one case, I think it was partially because Pop missed a lot of time in the first half with foul trouble, so she was rested enough to play all (or nearly all) of the second half without subbing out.

Nikki is a good shooter. She's hit a pretty big wall offensively recently, but when she's in you want her shooting those shots to open up the middle.

Brynn's overall FG% is extremely misleading since she attempts almost exclusively 3-pointers. She's 3-10 from two the entire conference season. 30% 3pt shooting isn't great, but it isn't bad.

And it seems to me ISU is already leaning on the seniors as much as possible.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 31

Anna does her best when she is facing someone her own height (or thereabouts). A huge factor in her development is that she has never had a single year when she wasn't sick or injured. This kept her conditioning and strength building to a minimum. If you watch her play you can see she lacks the polish that someone like Pop has acquired. She doesn't jump well, has limited hand strength, and early on was more of a defensive liability because of her footwork and propensity to foul. I think all of these things are a result of not having been healthy for a long period of time. The health would have allowed her to work on all of them and hopefully improve. This theory might work out if she is able to stay healthy going into her senior season. A full year of work could bring a remarkable change.

If you watch her right now, you can see a dramatic difference from even a month ago. You can tell she is feeling better, has better conditioning, and is playing Anna ball. I hope we continue to see that improvement through her senior season. Still a massive upside!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 712
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isurunna View Post
    The Coaching this year has been subject to questioning, dribbling out the clock when its tied... Letting teams run down the court for open last second threes.... putting in players that are injured.... Off the court problems... just leaves me questioning why you would let a player like Nikki shoot 3's all the time 16-66 24.2& in conference....
    and Brynn's shooting 26-86 30.2% from the field? Lean on the Seniors, the poor freshman shouldn't be shooting this much..... because they are freshman and they will develop to be great athletes, just not right away.

Last I checked Anna isn't a Senior. Bill has pulled Moody and leaned on the seniors. One game a couple of weeks ago he basically threw Chassidy and Lauren into the fire and sat Moody. I don't see the senior leadership that will carry the team. They both seem like good kids, but not carry the team most nights type kids. If I had to pick a team leader right now I'd say the team goes as Pop goes.

You have to be the first person ever to think that Bill doesn't realize talent. He does more with less than any coach in the Big 12. He started with very little and even less fan support.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by isurunna View Post
    Okay so look at conference stats, because honestly the non-conference games are like playing high school teams.

Who's Third in FT% ? 77.8%
    Who's Second in 3PT% ? 36.7%
    Who's Second in FG% ? 46.2%
    Who's Second in PTS/G ? 9.5
    Who's Leading the team in Blocks? 10

And who only has the 8th most minutes on the team?

If you are a knowledgeable fan you would know this, for the others I am sorry but don't call yourself a fan that knows what they are talking about. To answer the question originally asked, yes she can be a game changer, and sometimes its better for her to not be in. Thats called sports strategy, even Griner can be exploited and shut down, ISU did it before.

I think questioning the coaching would probably show a lack of understanding of our team. Its always easy to second guess a coach when we don't know the real details. I was trying to decide if your statements were questions raised by others or yourself, but in any case most can be answered very easily. Inexperience. This is a VERY young team. You put the best you have on the court and hope their prep is enough.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Well, one problem with Anna has already been noted by Acoustimac: she has weak hands and thus problems in catching the ball and then in hanging on to it in some cases. I think the coaches probably have worked with her on hand strengthening exercises, so I won't belabor the point. Agility is another area where Anna needs strengthening, but part of that problem is probably simply due to a lack of natural skill in that area. How much that situation can be repaired is beyond my knowledge. Third, although Anna has great form in her stand-still shots (think of her foul shooting), when shooting treys instead of fouls is the issue, she perhaps does not get (and maybe cannot get?) her shot off quickly enough. All that said, she is still a great asset to the team, and like some of those who already posted, I hope she has a healthy senior year because no doubt illness and injuries have hampered her development.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    Anna does her best when she is facing someone her own height (or thereabouts).
    She has said pretty much this exact thing. I don't remember which game it was, but the opponent had a tall post and afterward she said she really preferred that. It might have been after the home game against OU. Cerina and Griffin (6'5" and 6'6") combined for 39 minutes.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

She's had some pretty sweet hook shots recently. If she can make those consistently, that's almost impossible to guard.

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 30

Her being healthy is the biggest issue. She has missed so much time that she is behind in her development, her improved play lately is a direct result of her getting the required practice time. Hopefully she continues to develop into the player we all hope she can become.

Go Cyclones!!

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Nothing against Anna but I do get frustrated watching her sometimes because for someone with her height she has a significant height advantage over everyone but about Britney Griner. But she shies away from contact too much and doesn't use her height to her advantage where she should just be able to beat her defender by shooting right over them or nabbing a board out of their reach.

All you have to do is look at Poppens who IMO has no where near the natural talent offensively Anna has shown at times but she hustles her butt off all the time and is a much better player because of the effort she puts in. If Anna had Pop's kind of toughness both physically and mentally she'd be one helluva player. I think Bill said it best earlier this year, if everyone on this team played as hard as Pop does then we've be a much better team right now.

Go Cubs Go!

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I've been wondering about some things, and they kind of relate to this. I may be totally off base, and not know, so don't stone me. But, I get the feeling that Anna has gone back to Colorado in the summers? I thought I read that Hallie was shooting in last sumer with her sister at home. I just wondered if that's true? There is a great amount of time for strength training and agility training in the summer, and I'm not sure those players have best utilized that time? Like I said, maybe I'm wrong, but if I'm not, there's a shortcoming.

Starter
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Anna has been really fun to watch lately. As others have said, she is benefiting from the extended time being healthy and injury-free (or relatively so). Maybe some of the limited time is to help her stay healthy for the duration of the season. Remember how well she played against Marist in the NCAA tourney last year? On that particular day, she was the only reason ISU was in the game. Having her at tourney time is a big advantage for ISU.

I remember wanting to see her play more in the rotation with Pop against OU. She took their bigger defenders off of Pop, giving Pop more room to work as well. It also seemed she was playing well against MU in the first half. However, the coach's decision to play Pop and Hallie in the second half ended up working. Hallie made 3s that ultimately won the game.

Anna and a couple others on the team could play more, but it likely comes down to combinations and matchups. Would Jocelyn Anderson have played many minutes with Nicky and T uninjured? Probably not. But when she needed to play, she delivered and won games for ISU.

This year, we've seen even more physical play, with opponents hacking all over the place. Anna sometimes has a tough time in those situations.

Pro
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 982
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by Sobchakcyclone View Post
    I've been wondering about some things, and they kind of relate to this. I may be totally off base, and not know, so don't stone me. But, I get the feeling that Anna has gone back to Colorado in the summers? I thought I read that Hallie was shooting in last sumer with her sister at home. I just wondered if that's true? There is a great amount of time for strength training and agility training in the summer, and I'm not sure those players have best utilized that time? Like I said, maybe I'm wrong, but if I'm not, there's a shortcoming.
    IIRC she went home to recuperate from her injuries. SHe's been injured quite a lot in the off-season.