Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 80,462, Level: 88
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,488
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Bigman38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Council Bluffs, IA
    Posts
    6,230
    Points
    80,462
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 932
    Given: 1,071

    ESPN Bubble Watch - ISU in the "Lock" category

    College Basketball Bubble Watch - What do we mean when we say 'every game counts'? - NCAA Men's Basketball - ESPN

    "Cue the celebrations in Ames, Iowa: The Cyclones are going back to the NCAA tournament. Iowa State's profile isn't overwhelming, but its solidity moved it up to "should be in" territory last week in part because Iowa State, with its last three games at Kansas State, at Missouri and at home versus Baylor, couldn't possibly take a bad loss going away. But after Saturday's win at K-State -- which gave the Cyclones a clean sweep of the Wildcats in addition to that big home win over Kansas -- this team can't miss the tournament. What Fred Hoiberg has done with this team, constructed primarily of cast-off transfers and leftovers from Greg McDermott's failed tenure, can't be overstated. As if the guy needed to be more popular in central Iowa. What a season."


    "But letís see if the Cyclones can give everyone a nice big ****burger to eat. Opportunity awaits." -Brent Blum

    "I am the one who knocks" -Walter White

  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,702, Level: 75
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    4,152
    Points
    59,702
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 414
    Given: 128

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch - ISU in the "Lock" category

    That article has no Pac-12 team as a lock for the tournament yet. Just terrible basketball in that conference.


    I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 125,759, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,156
    Points
    125,759
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 758
    Given: 1,529

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch - ISU in the "Lock" category

    I've anticipated that for a few weeks, and fully expected it after the previous win.

    Solid.



  4. #4
    Rookie
    Points: 12,811, Level: 34
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 539
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    danrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    496
    Points
    12,811
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch - ISU in the "Lock" category

    Quote Originally Posted by cycloneG View Post
    That article has no Pac-12 team as a lock for the tournament yet. Just terrible basketball in that conference.
    The best basketball team west of the state of Kansas is either UNLV or Saint Mary's. And its not even close. PAC 12 is terrible.



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 56,844, Level: 73
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    4,271
    Points
    56,844
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 972

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch - ISU in the "Lock" category

    Well boys and girls imho, if we at Iowa State are not in the ncaa tourney now....



    then they need....TO BLOW UP THE TOURNAMENT, because it will have absolutely no credibility whatsoever.



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 37,264, Level: 59
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 586
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    cyclones12321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Newton Ia
    Posts
    4,351
    Points
    37,264
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 491
    Given: 221

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch - ISU in the "Lock" category

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigman38 View Post
    College Basketball Bubble Watch - What do we mean when we say 'every game counts'? - NCAA Men's Basketball - ESPN

    "Cue the celebrations in Ames, Iowa: The Cyclones are going back to the NCAA tournament. Iowa State's profile isn't overwhelming, but its solidity moved it up to "should be in" territory last week in part because Iowa State, with its last three games at Kansas State, at Missouri and at home versus Baylor, couldn't possibly take a bad loss going away. But after Saturday's win at K-State -- which gave the Cyclones a clean sweep of the Wildcats in addition to that big home win over Kansas -- this team can't miss the tournament. What Fred Hoiberg has done with this team, constructed primarily of cast-off transfers and leftovers from Greg McDermott's failed tenure, can't be overstated. As if the guy needed to be more popular in central Iowa. What a season."
    about time



  7. #7
    Prospect
    Points: 2,537, Level: 14
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    54
    Points
    2,537
    Level
    14
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch - ISU in the "Lock" category

    "What a season."

    I'm all smiles. We moved to icing on the cake territory a while back for me, though.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 308,121, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    17,546
    Points
    308,121
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,567
    Given: 6,885

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch - ISU in the "Lock" category

    I hope everyone read this part:
    But two years ago, an NCAA eager to maximize the full length of the college hoops season did away with the criterion that weighted a team's final 12 games more heavily than the 20 or so contests that preceded them. Sure, many committee members no doubt still like to see teams trending upward at this point in the season, and "last 12 games" is almost certainly still a discussion point from time to time. But any line-by-line reading of the committee's principles is clear: Whether it's mid-November or mid-February, every game counts.
    Hopefully we can stop talking about last 12 games on these threads. Sure, there is the appearance of how someone finishes but it is not a Selection Committee metric anymore.


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldnít get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Points: 9,526, Level: 29
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 424
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CyclonesForever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    381
    Points
    9,526
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 4

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch - ISU in the "Lock" category

    all 5 locks for the big 12 were the "forgotten five" about 20 months ago, although i believe mizzou has lost that claim since being picked up by the sec. thought that was kinda interesting



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 64,858, Level: 79
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,592
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    WalkingCY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    5,291
    Points
    64,858
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 235
    Given: 342

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch - ISU in the "Lock" category

    Quote Originally Posted by CyclonesForever View Post
    all 5 locks for the big 12 were the "forgotten five" about 20 months ago, although i believe mizzou has lost that claim since being picked up by the sec. thought that was kinda interesting

    Indeed.

    I love seeing the Texas/South schools below the northern teams...we care more about hoops! (no beef with Baylor doing well this year either.)



  11. #11
    Starter
    Points: 25,855, Level: 49
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 695
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ManBearClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    726
    Points
    25,855
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 131

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch - ISU in the "Lock" category

    Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    I hope everyone read this part:
    But two years ago, an NCAA eager to maximize the full length of the college hoops season did away with the criterion that weighted a team's final 12 games more heavily than the 20 or so contests that preceded them. Sure, many committee members no doubt still like to see teams trending upward at this point in the season, and "last 12 games" is almost certainly still a discussion point from time to time. But any line-by-line reading of the committee's principles is clear: Whether it's mid-November or mid-February, every game counts.
    Hopefully we can stop talking about last 12 games on these threads. Sure, there is the appearance of how someone finishes but it is not a Selection Committee metric anymore.
    So your saying there's still a chance - signed Illinois



  12. #12
    Rookie
    Points: 14,185, Level: 36
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 665
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    el tornado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Marshalltown
    Posts
    554
    Points
    14,185
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch - ISU in the "Lock" category

    I really hope we don't end up an 8 or 9 seed which in my book is the Kiss of Death for the 2nd round. I'd rather be a 10, 11, or of course a 7 seed.

    Part of the seeding is determined by which conference teams are in the bracket. If Missouri is a 2, we would probably be an 8 or 9 so we would not meet them in the 2nd round.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 308,121, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    17,546
    Points
    308,121
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,567
    Given: 6,885

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch - ISU in the "Lock" category

    Quote Originally Posted by el tornado View Post
    I really hope we don't end up an 8 or 9 seed which in my book is the Kiss of Death for the 2nd round. I'd rather be a 10, 11, or of course a 7 seed.

    Part of the seeding is determined by which conference teams are in the bracket. If Missouri is a 2, we would probably be an 8 or 9 so we would not meet them in the 2nd round.
    Or we could be placed in another region.


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldnít get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  14. #14
    Prospect
    Points: 3,432, Level: 16
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    CloneCone21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    44
    Points
    3,432
    Level
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch - ISU in the "Lock" category

    Quote Originally Posted by el tornado View Post
    I really hope we don't end up an 8 or 9 seed which in my book is the Kiss of Death for the 2nd round. I'd rather be a 10, 11, or of course a 7 seed.

    Part of the seeding is determined by which conference teams are in the bracket. If Missouri is a 2, we would probably be an 8 or 9 so we would not meet them in the 2nd round.
    I agree that an 8 or 9 is the kiss of death, but is a 7 that much better? I might even prefer an 11 or 12 than a 7. I really dislike the entire 7-10 range... just my two cents



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 48,919, Level: 68
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 831
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    heitclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malvern, IA
    Posts
    5,603
    Points
    48,919
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 469
    Given: 580

    Re: ESPN Bubble Watch - ISU in the "Lock" category

    Quote Originally Posted by danrog View Post
    The best basketball team west of the state of Kansas is either UNLV or Saint Mary's. And its not even close. PAC 12 is terrible.
    Id say those teams you mentioned, San Diego State, New Mexico and Gonzaga would all contend for the Pac 12 crown. The top 3 or 4 teams in the MWC and WCC would all do very well in the Pac 12.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • August 29, 2015
  • 06:00 PM