Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 54

New NCAA Rule Re: NBA Draft/Royce

There was some discussion in the Norvel Pelle thread about if the staff is worried about losing Royce to the NBA, etc. First off, glad the staff is forward thinking. Fred and crew are three steps ahead of everybody, so no need to worry about their thought process. Here is another angle that I haven't seen covered that should get some light:

The NCAA recently changed the early entry date for players to declare for the NBA..it has been moved up from early May to April 8. This means players can no longer "test the waters" for a month like they once could. It will be extremely difficult for prospects to get in front of multiple NBA teams to get an accurate gauge on their draft status.

So this could result in players like Royce not getting the customary info of the past. I think it's rule with good intentions, but could have a large negative effect on players on the edge of being drafted in the 1st round. Remember, only the 1st rounders in the NBA are guaranteed contracts (3 years.) 2nd rounders may as well be free-agents.

In essence, players have a week from the end of the Final Four to the date they have to declare. If they don't take their name out of the draft by April 8, but want to return to college prior to actual draft day in June, they will be ineligible the following year in college.

NBA teams have no obligation to tell the truth, they want as many good prospects as possible to choose from, which could lead to over-inflating players draft stock.

Luckily for Royce, Fred and Matt Abdelmassih are as in tune with NBA folks as just about anybody in college basketball.

But it's a bad rule in my mind and will no doubt lead to several players declaring that will end up out of the guaranteed money and off NBA rosters.

Twitter.com/brentblum

All-Star
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 622
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 10

Re: New NCAA Rule Re: NBA Draft/Royce

It would just be easier if the NBA was like the NFL. 3 years out of high school or 3 college seasons completed. NBA is only 18 which is why you see one and dones or kids straight out of high school. Hurts the college and NBA game.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 199

Quote Originally Posted by megamanxzero35 View Post
    It would just be easier if the NBA was like the NFL. 3 years out of high school or 3 college seasons completed. NBA is only 18 which is why you see one and dones or kids straight out of high school. Hurts the college and NBA game.
    What they need to do is follow the baseball model: you can come out right from high school, but if you go to college, you have to stay for three years. I'm tired of one-and-dones.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 56

Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    What they need to do is follow the baseball model: you can come out right from high school, but if you go to college, you have to stay for three years. I'm tired of one-and-dones.
    this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 984
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranRecommendation First Class50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 8

In football you should have to go to college for 2 years. For baseball and basketball you should be able to go right out of high school or if you go to college go for two years. You should be able to decide as an upper classman if you want to leave college. 3 years is dumb because say you are amazing your first year and could easily be a first round draft pick, you would be obligated to come back for 2 mores years which just seems ridiculous. Just my opinion...

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 20

Ya, I would like to see this happen as well.

Pro
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,120
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 50

I see where you guys are coming from with one and dones. However, I appreciate good basketball and it would have sucked if we never got to see players like Kevin Durant, John Wall, Derrick Rose, Michael Beasley, etc. Look back a few years ago when Kansas played Memphis in the finals, that may have been the most dominant year of college basketball ever. All four number 1 seeds made it to the final four and there were several great one and done ( or two year) players. I don't have a problem with one and done players, however, I think the NCAA needs to have rules about one and done players not going to class or even doing anything with school during second semester because they don't have to.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by nallen34 View Post
    In football you should have to go to college for 2 years. For baseball and basketball you should be able to go right out of high school or if you go to college go for two years. You should be able to decide as an upper classman if you want to leave college. 3 years is dumb because say you are amazing your first year and could easily be a first round draft pick, you would be obligated to come back for 2 mores years which just seems ridiculous. Just my opinion...
    No, what's stupid is forcing kids who 1. Are ready for the NBA as high school seniors, and 2. Have no business being within 100 miles of a university, much less enrolled in one, to attend college for one year (well, half a year).

If you're a superstar freshman and wish you could leave after your sophomore year? Tough titties. That's no different than any football player who's a freshman phenom. You chose to go to college, so you're going to go for 3 years minimum.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isufan View Post
    I see where you guys are coming from with one and dones. However, I appreciate good basketball and it would have sucked if we never got to see players like Kevin Durant, John Wall, Derrick Rose, Michael Beasley, etc. Look back a few years ago when Kansas played Memphis in the finals, that may have been the most dominant year of college basketball ever. All four number 1 seeds made it to the final four and there were several great one and done ( or two year) players. I don't have a problem with one and done players, however, I think the NCAA needs to have rules about one and done players not going to class or even doing anything with school during second semester because they don't have to.
    I can appreciate good basketball, but I also wish things could be the way they used to be. In 20 years, no one is going to remember where Durant, Rose, or Wall went to college. They'll all have great NBA careers, so they'll be remembered. But just about every basketball fan knows Jordan went to UNC, Bird went to Indiana State, and Magic went to MSU, etc. Because they were legends in college, too. The one and done kids won't have that. I'm sure they don't mind, but I do.

All-Star
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 156
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 559

Dont worry you wont have to directly worry about it

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 731
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 27

No, what's stupid is forcing kids who 1. Are ready for the NBA as high school seniors, and 2. Have no business being within 100 miles of a university, much less enrolled in one, to attend college for one year (well, half a year).

If you're a superstar freshman and wish you could leave after your sophomore year? Tough titties. That's no different than any football player who's a freshman phenom. You chose to go to college, so you're going to go for 3 years minimum.
    No one forces them to go to college. Take the Brandon Jennings route. Make $300,000 somewhere playing against better competition every day and practicing twice as much as you would in college.

All-Star
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 156
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 559

SOME of these kids are good enough to go directly to the NBA from high school. ALOT of these kids are being told they are good enough. Show me the list of early entrants that are pumping gas somewhere because they had gotten some bad advice and didnt get anywhere in pro basketball. That free college education may have come in handy. I am all for making these kids play at least 1 year of college ball just in case they arent good enough.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneVet View Post
    SOME of these kids are good enough to go directly to the NBA from high school. ALOT of these kids are being told they are good enough. Show me the list of early entrants that are pumping gas somewhere because they had gotten some bad advice and didnt get anywhere in pro basketball. That free college education may have come in handy. I am all for making these kids play at least 1 year of college ball just in case they arent good enough.
    One year of college, when they're still being told they're NBA-ready, doesn't do them jack ****. With that expectation still at the front of their minds, they don't even go to their second semester classes. They don't get much of an education when it's a one-year stop.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 731
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 27

One year of college, when they're still being told they're NBA-ready, doesn't do them jack ****. With that expectation still at the front of their minds, they don't even go to their second semester classes. They don't get much of an education when it's a one-year stop.
    Most football players that go pro early don't get much of an eduacation, most big time D-1 athletes don't get much of an education any way.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyJack13 View Post
    Most football players that go pro early don't get much of an eduacation, most big time D-1 athletes don't get much of an education any way.
    So then what's the problem with letting them leave out of high school? If the issue is all the kids who THINK they're ready, but end up "pumping gas", and at least getting them an education, then they should be expected to stay for 3 years. If they aren't getting much of an education anyway (and in most cases, I agree), then why bother with the charade?