SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

BCS Standings released

ESPN LINK

OSU #1, USF #2

Does anyone else notice that the computer rankings seem to vary widely? Look at the computer labled "RB". These things stick out:
    1)The only computer that doesn't rate USF #1
    2)The only computer that ranks Michigan OR USC nearly that high
    3)The only computer that seems to think KU or Virginia aren't any good.

Do these things strike anyone else as weird, or just me?

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 7

Re: BCS Standings released

there are definately computer variances

Husker Hater

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 109

Sure lucky we do not have to play South Florida and we only played Texas.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I have been a proponent of the BCS. However, these initial rankings are a total joke!

Ohio State #1...if any of these computers are "worth their salt", they should drop in the rankings as they continue to play the lousy competition of the lousy Big 10 conference. They have played tougher teams in non-conference because the Big 10 is flat out horrible this year!

USF...they have played only two ranked teams. They have won in less than impressive fashion against the likes of Elon (I thought that was a women's only school) and Florida Atlantic. Their schedule (both games played and games to be played) is full of cream puffs. In no way do they deserve to be this high.

BC...probably the best of these top three but they have won in less than impressive fashion against UMass and a poor ND team.

The bottom line, in my opinion, is that if any of these three teams played in the SEC they would have 3 losses in the league...minimum. LSU and Florida would absolutely drill any of these three team 8 or 9 times out of 10.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 37

What's nice about those assumptions is hopefully we'll find out. I agree that Ohio State is a complete farce, I've watched 'em play and they look good, not great.

I'm not sure that you're right about USF. That is a very, very solid football team. I'm interested to see them face one of the big boys later this year. However, they've already faced 2 and defeated them both.

A couple more top teams lost this weekend, making me smile even more. The plan of mayhem, hysteria and controversy is falling into place quite nicely.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

That is a very, very solid football team.
    Dan, is that you?

"Seven minutes to glory."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 273
    Given: 173

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post
    I have been a proponent of the BCS. However, these initial rankings are a total joke!

Ohio State #1...if any of these computers are "worth their salt", they should drop in the rankings as they continue to play the lousy competition of the lousy Big 10 conference. They have played tougher teams in non-conference because the Big 10 is flat out horrible this year!

USF...they have played only two ranked teams. They have won in less than impressive fashion against the likes of Elon (I thought that was a women's only school) and Florida Atlantic. Their schedule (both games played and games to be played) is full of cream puffs. In no way do they deserve to be this high.

BC...probably the best of these top three but they have won in less than impressive fashion against UMass and a poor ND team.

The bottom line, in my opinion, is that if any of these three teams played in the SEC they would have 3 losses in the league...minimum. LSU and Florida would absolutely drill any of these three team 8 or 9 times out of 10.
    You forget that USF took it to Auburn, who last time I checked was a pretty darn good SEC team. They may not win the SEC conference but they'd hold their own, and that's good enough for me. Is USF the #2 team in the nation? I'm not willing to go there at this point, but I will say they've earned their way into the argument, and they're likely to continue to stay there as long as that L column continues to have a 0 in it.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Arizona State is ranked considerably higher in the BCS system than it is by the polls.

Interestingly, ASU has a first year coach. The transition period to a new coach is working well for ASU.

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    Interestingly, ASU has a first year coach. The transition period to a new coach is working well for ASU.
    ASU has an HC who is in his first year at the University who has been an HC at some level since 1982. We have a first year Head Coach. Big Difference there.

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

BC is right behind USF and has only beaten 1 current top 25 team and that team is #15 Georgia Tech.

USF has wins over #5 West Virginia and #17 Auburn.

I thought it was funny, last night on College Gameday, I swear I heard Lou Holtz say Kansas should be ranked #2!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 977
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    What's nice about those assumptions is hopefully we'll find out. I agree that Ohio State is a complete farce, I've watched 'em play and they look good, not great.

I'm not sure that you're right about USF. That is a very, very solid football team. I'm interested to see them face one of the big boys later this year. However, they've already faced 2 and defeated them both.

A couple more top teams lost this weekend, making me smile even more. The plan of mayhem, hysteria and controversy is falling into place quite nicely.
    Oh, I think OSU is better than people want to believe. People want to focus on the offensive weapons they lost, however, the defense only lost the two tackles....and they are only giving up an average of 6.5 points per contest. They beat a good Washington team on the road by 3 td's.

But, then again I shouldn't be surprised by you saying this, since this is what people have said about OSU most years including the year they weren't supposed to beat Miami in the championship. So, I don't blame you, but if you watched them as much as I do you'd probably change your tune.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

The word good is relative I suppose but I don't know if this is a good 2-4 Washington team. They have played a very difficult schedule up to this point but I think they are more in line with average where I also think Purdue fits in. The other five teams they have played vary from poor to slightly below average. All I am saying is that there is very little way to tell how good OSU is at this point.

When all is said and done, more is said than done

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by sodakjoe View Post
    ASU has an HC who is in his first year at the University who has been an HC at some level since 1982. We have a first year Head Coach. Big Difference there.
    I accept the distinction you made. I should have used the term new coach as opposed to first year coach.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 37

Quote Originally Posted by Ficklone02 View Post
    Oh, I think OSU is better than people want to believe. People want to focus on the offensive weapons they lost, however, the defense only lost the two tackles....and they are only giving up an average of 6.5 points per contest. They beat a good Washington team on the road by 3 td's.

But, then again I shouldn't be surprised by you saying this, since this is what people have said about OSU most years including the year they weren't supposed to beat Miami in the championship. So, I don't blame you, but if you watched them as much as I do you'd probably change your tune.
    Nope, I don't have my blinders on about past OSU teams. I've seen 'em play, not impressed at all. They allowed an Akron team, while only scoring a safety, to play with 'em.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    You forget that USF took it to Auburn, who last time I checked was a pretty darn good SEC team. They may not win the SEC conference but they'd hold their own, and that's good enough for me. Is USF the #2 team in the nation? I'm not willing to go there at this point, but I will say they've earned their way into the argument, and they're likely to continue to stay there as long as that L column continues to have a 0 in it.
    I'm not sure I would consider beating Auburn in OT as "taking it to them". Auburn is a middle of the pack SEC team this year. They have lost to Miss. St. Their only decent win is against a Florida team that was clearly looking past them to their game with LSU. USF would be a middle of the pack SEC team at best.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.