Missouri Gamewatch - Washington, DC area?
    Rookie
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 497
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Missouri Gamewatch - Washington, DC area?

I am in the DC area this week for work. In the past, I've gone to gamewatches at the Crystal City Sports Pub. Are there still gamewatches there? Or anyone know where I could find the game in the Arlington, VA area? I believe Bailey's in the Ballston Mall has ESPN full court, but not sure whether I can ask them to change a TV to the game or not. Otherwise, will this game be available online on ESPN 3?

DistrictCyclone

Re: Missouri Gamewatch - Washington, DC area?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff0514 View Post
    I am in the DC area this week for work. In the past, I've gone to gamewatches at the Crystal City Sports Pub. Are there still gamewatches there? Or anyone know where I could find the game in the Arlington, VA area? I believe Bailey's in the Ballston Mall has ESPN full court, but not sure whether I can ask them to change a TV to the game or not. Otherwise, will this game be available online on ESPN 3?
    The Crystal City Sports Pub is a good bet; I'm not sure if there have been any "official" game watches since the DC Alumni prez left about a year ago, but they should have it on there. Bailey's is a dump; avoid that place. If you want to stay in the Ballston-Rosslyn corridor, First Down has a load of TVs, plenty of seating, and relatively cheap beer. Liberty Tavern has great food, but seating is limited.

I'll be out of town (hoping it's on ESPN3), otherwise I'd probably be at the Cleveland Park Sports Pub, which is a great option if you're in the District proper.

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    The Crystal City Sports Pub is a good bet; I'm not sure if there have been any "official" game watches since the DC Alumni prez left about a year ago, but they should have it on there. Bailey's is a dump; avoid that place. If you want to stay in the Ballston-Rosslyn corridor, First Down has a load of TVs, plenty of seating, and relatively cheap beer. Liberty Tavern has great food, but seating is limited.

I'll be out of town (hoping it's on ESPN3), otherwise I'd probably be at the Cleveland Park Sports Pub, which is a great option if you're in the District proper.
    Thanks. I'll probably check to see if its on ESPN3 before i head out anywhere. I may try First Down (I walked by it this afternoon). I've never noticed that place before. I've been to Crystal City several times, but its a long metro ride down there and a decent walk from the metro stop if i remember correctly.

Rookie
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post

Maybe I'll see you guys there. I'll be in Crystal City Wednesday night...

All-Star
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 553
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 317
    Given: 46

Wait, there has been an alumni gathering at Crystal City? I have lived my entire life in Arlington other than for college (went to ISU, obviously), and had no idea. I've only managed to meet one other ISU alum. Hopefully there are still game watches. If so, I will be there for the Mizzou game watch.

DistrictCyclone

Quote Originally Posted by jeff0514 View Post
    Thanks. I'll probably check to see if its on ESPN3 before i head out anywhere. I may try First Down (I walked by it this afternoon). I've never noticed that place before. I've been to Crystal City several times, but its a long metro ride down there and a decent walk from the metro stop if i remember correctly.
    First Down is great--it looks like a dinky little place from the outside, but they've got a large back room with plenty of tables. I watched the 2011 ISU/Iowa football game there; all of the VT fans were ****** that it went into OT and caused them to miss the first 5-10 minutes of their cupcake game against ECU.

And yes, Crystal City is a 10-15 minute walk from the metro.

DistrictCyclone

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasrickj View Post
    Wait, there has been an alumni gathering at Crystal City? I have lived my entire life in Arlington other than for college (went to ISU, obviously), and had no idea. I've only managed to meet one other ISU alum. Hopefully there are still game watches. If so, I will be there for the Mizzou game watch.
    The only "official" ones that I know of have been for ISU/Iowa games or bowl games, but there's often a few Clones there for other games.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Somewhat off-topic: was in Crystal City for a conference in December and ended up at the Crystal City Sports Pub. We were thrown off by the Hawk pennent hanging on the wall. It seems odd that the place hosting ISU gamewatches would pull that...

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think the host game watches for a lot of different alumni. Their website list all the university alumni groups that hold game watches there. When I've been here in the past, there have usually been 5-10 people Cyclone fans there to watch a game. Usually the group would get stuck in a back corner on a small TV, since the group was small, but better than nothing I guess.

Pro
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,083
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by maui6651 View Post
    Somewhat off-topic: was in Crystal City for a conference in December and ended up at the Crystal City Sports Pub. We were thrown off by the Hawk pennent hanging on the wall. It seems odd that the place hosting ISU gamewatches would pull that...
    Crystal City Sports Pub is home to about 20+ different university official game watches...Iowa State and Iowa included. I went there for the 2010 ISU/Iowa game and they had it separated out by floors with one being a general watch area. Did not enjoy that trip; was very impersonal and too many other colleges around that day so it was packed. Also went there for the 2010 Nebraska game and it was rather pleasant then. All in all, it would be nice for them to move bars to somewhere more specialized...but that is probably too idealistic. K-State has two though, and one at Molly Malone's in Barracks Row.