Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Ejim's Screens

  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 72,331, Level: 83
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 819
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    NATEizKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hilton
    Posts
    6,596
    Points
    72,331
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 153

    Ejim's Screens

    I love the screens Melvin was doing in the second half when we bring the ball up the court on our own half. I hadn't noticed this much before the second half today so I am not sure if this is usual or not. Rodriguez was being a feisty little guy and this slowed him down quite a bit. There was one time though where I felt Ejim really leaned in and could have been called for it. It was after a few frustrating plays for him where Kansas State got physical and the refs didn't call anything whether there was any foul or not. I will try to point it out when I rewatch the game but the announcers did not seem to notice so I was not sure if it was just me. Other than that, the screens were very effective in getting us set to start our half court offense and keep the pressure off our stand in PG.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 62,396, Level: 77
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Rural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,581
    Points
    62,396
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 67

    Re: Ejim's Screens

    Mel is really physical and that's a good fit with the other parts of our team.

    He's about as good a stone-handed player as you'll find.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 21,699, Level: 45
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 851
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    jj-cyclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,801
    Points
    21,699
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 11

    Re: Ejim's Screens

    Ejim has really improved his 'stone-hands' imo... Booker takes the cake for that title, at least for the K State game.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 32,889, Level: 55
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    kilroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    hills to flat lands
    Posts
    2,301
    Points
    32,889
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 19

    Re: Ejim's Screens

    Try writing a "Dear Scotty" or "Dear Melvin" letter it will make you feel better.

    http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...e-earlier.html


    I'm not trying to be difficult, it comes naturally....

  5. #5
    Rookie
    Points: 17,024, Level: 39
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    585
    Points
    17,024
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 15

    Re: Ejim's Screens

    Quote Originally Posted by NATEizKING View Post
    I love the screens Melvin was doing in the second half when we bring the ball up the court on our own half. I hadn't noticed this much before the second half today so I am not sure if this is usual or not. Rodriguez was being a feisty little guy and this slowed him down quite a bit. There was one time though where I felt Ejim really leaned in and could have been called for it. It was after a few frustrating plays for him where Kansas State got physical and the refs didn't call anything whether there was any foul or not. I will try to point it out when I rewatch the game but the announcers did not seem to notice so I was not sure if it was just me. Other than that, the screens were very effective in getting us set to start our half court offense and keep the pressure off our stand in PG.
    I love how Mel is stepping up of late. The great screens are part of the game that doesn't show up in the stat sheet. His rebounding is feroucious. It seems to me that he is embracing a similar role to what Stevie Johnson played on the Elite 8 team, but his added length gives him a bit more upside. The toughness of an undersized four stepping up was needed on both teams, yet both were flexible enough to hit jumpers, or even at times stray out to the 3 range. I think Mel has more upside, but was struck by the comparison.



  6. #6
    Recruit
    Points: 2,800, Level: 15
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredCreated Album pictures
    McKinney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    McKinney, TX
    Posts
    75
    Points
    2,800
    Level
    15
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

    Re: Ejim's Screens

    Quote Originally Posted by NATEizKING View Post
    I love the screens Melvin was doing in the second half when we bring the ball up the court on our own half. I hadn't noticed this much before the second half today so I am not sure if this is usual or not. Rodriguez was being a feisty little guy and this slowed him down quite a bit. There was one time though where I felt Ejim really leaned in and could have been called for it. It was after a few frustrating plays for him where Kansas State got physical and the refs didn't call anything whether there was any foul or not. I will try to point it out when I rewatch the game but the announcers did not seem to notice so I was not sure if it was just me. Other than that, the screens were very effective in getting us set to start our half court offense and keep the pressure off our stand in PG.
    I noticed it too, and I was cringing in fear that the refs were about to call one of them and it'd become a critical turnover.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 32,889, Level: 55
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    kilroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    hills to flat lands
    Posts
    2,301
    Points
    32,889
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 19

    Re: Ejim's Screens

    Quote Originally Posted by McKinney View Post
    I noticed it too, and I was cringing in fear that the refs were about to call one of them and it'd become a critical turnover.
    but he didnt move his feet or throw an elbow.

    the refs were probably laughing as they saw it coming and KSU player started to pick splinter out of his face as he got off the hard wood.


    I'm not trying to be difficult, it comes naturally....

  8. #8
    Prospect
    Points: 2,335, Level: 13
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Cysmik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    56
    Points
    2,335
    Level
    13
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ejim's Screens

    Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    but he didnt move his feet or throw an elbow.

    the refs were probably laughing as they saw it coming and KSU player started to pick splinter out of his face as he got off the hard wood.
    Is Melvin leaning into the screen allowable by the rules, as long as there is no movement of the feet or elbows thrown? I recall him doing the same thing in the oklahoma game around the same time as he was called for the intentional foul and booted from the game.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 72,331, Level: 83
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 819
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    NATEizKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hilton
    Posts
    6,596
    Points
    72,331
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 153

    Re: Ejim's Screens

    Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    but he didnt move his feet or throw an elbow.

    the refs were probably laughing as they saw it coming and KSU player started to pick splinter out of his face as he got off the hard wood.
    He didn't move or extend his elbows like the case when he was ejected but he did lean in a little aggresively on one occasion that I was nervous about. The refs weren't looking for it as they were accustomed to his screens by then.



  10. #10
    Walk On
    Points: 7,969, Level: 26
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Urbandale, IA
    Posts
    135
    Points
    7,969
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

    Re: Ejim's Screens

    Quote Originally Posted by Cysmik View Post
    Is Melvin leaning into the screen allowable by the rules, as long as there is no movement of the feet or elbows thrown? I recall him doing the same thing in the oklahoma game around the same time as he was called for the intentional foul and booted from the game.
    It wasn't the leaning in--it was the elbows to the face that drew him the flagrant 2, which is an automatic ejection.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 81,736, Level: 88
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Winterset Metroplex
    Posts
    2,489
    Points
    81,736
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Re: Ejim's Screens

    His ejection from the OU game wasn't because he set solid screens. That one was because he clearly set an aggressive screen to retaliate for uncalled fouls by the OU player. I was at the game, and watching the leadup to his ejection was like watching a semi skidding around on black ice: You just knew that something bad was going to happen before it was all over.


    "Correct me if I'm wrong, Scotty.......but if I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key!" Carl Spackler

  12. #12
    Prospect
    Points: 2,335, Level: 13
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Cysmik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    56
    Points
    2,335
    Level
    13
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ejim's Screens

    Quote Originally Posted by Kickedinthenuts View Post
    It wasn't the leaning in--it was the elbows to the face that drew him the flagrant 2, which is an automatic ejection.
    I understand that, I was just saying that I had seen him do it before. It seems he tends to lean into these screens more as he gets more frustrated. I'm fine with it, actually enjoy watching it. I was just wondering it this leaning into the screens is allowable by the rules?



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 72,331, Level: 83
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 819
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    NATEizKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hilton
    Posts
    6,596
    Points
    72,331
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 153

    Re: Ejim's Screens

    Quote Originally Posted by Cysmik View Post
    I understand that, I was just saying that I had seen him do it before. It seems he tends to lean into these screens more as he gets more frustrated. I'm fine with it, actually enjoy watching it. I was just wondering it this leaning into the screens is allowable by the rules?
    It's a judgement call I believe. Players naturally lean forward when about to get hit setting a screen but you can't throw yourself at them.



  14. #14
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 6,593, Level: 24
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Newhall
    Posts
    345
    Points
    6,593
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 51

    Re: Ejim's Screens

    Some guys let their poor play on the offensive end effect their defensive effort. Babb and ejim seem to play even harder on the defensive end when their shots aren't falling, I think ejim has a hard time controlling his emotions when he's frustrated, but if he gets called for a "hard" screen once in a while, I think we can live with that.



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 29,483, Level: 52
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Psiclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa City
    Posts
    1,529
    Points
    29,483
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 82

    Re: Ejim's Screens

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberJJJ View Post
    I love how Mel is stepping up of late. The great screens are part of the game that doesn't show up in the stat sheet. His rebounding is feroucious. It seems to me that he is embracing a similar role to what Stevie Johnson played on the Elite 8 team, but his added length gives him a bit more upside. The toughness of an undersized four stepping up was needed on both teams, yet both were flexible enough to hit jumpers, or even at times stray out to the 3 range. I think Mel has more upside, but was struck by the comparison.
    Agree re Stevie comparison. See my post on other former ISU players who are avatars of this year's team.


    "Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM