Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 153

Ejim's Screens

I love the screens Melvin was doing in the second half when we bring the ball up the court on our own half. I hadn't noticed this much before the second half today so I am not sure if this is usual or not. Rodriguez was being a feisty little guy and this slowed him down quite a bit. There was one time though where I felt Ejim really leaned in and could have been called for it. It was after a few frustrating plays for him where Kansas State got physical and the refs didn't call anything whether there was any foul or not. I will try to point it out when I rewatch the game but the announcers did not seem to notice so I was not sure if it was just me. Other than that, the screens were very effective in getting us set to start our half court offense and keep the pressure off our stand in PG.

Addict
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 67

Re: Ejim's Screens

Mel is really physical and that's a good fit with the other parts of our team.

He's about as good a stone-handed player as you'll find.

All-Star
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 851
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 11

Ejim has really improved his 'stone-hands' imo... Booker takes the cake for that title, at least for the K State game.

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 19

Try writing a "Dear Scotty" or "Dear Melvin" letter it will make you feel better.

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...e-earlier.html

I'm not trying to be difficult, it comes naturally....

Rookie
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by NATEizKING View Post
    I love the screens Melvin was doing in the second half when we bring the ball up the court on our own half. I hadn't noticed this much before the second half today so I am not sure if this is usual or not. Rodriguez was being a feisty little guy and this slowed him down quite a bit. There was one time though where I felt Ejim really leaned in and could have been called for it. It was after a few frustrating plays for him where Kansas State got physical and the refs didn't call anything whether there was any foul or not. I will try to point it out when I rewatch the game but the announcers did not seem to notice so I was not sure if it was just me. Other than that, the screens were very effective in getting us set to start our half court offense and keep the pressure off our stand in PG.
    I love how Mel is stepping up of late. The great screens are part of the game that doesn't show up in the stat sheet. His rebounding is feroucious. It seems to me that he is embracing a similar role to what Stevie Johnson played on the Elite 8 team, but his added length gives him a bit more upside. The toughness of an undersized four stepping up was needed on both teams, yet both were flexible enough to hit jumpers, or even at times stray out to the 3 range. I think Mel has more upside, but was struck by the comparison.

Recruit
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by NATEizKING View Post
    I noticed it too, and I was cringing in fear that the refs were about to call one of them and it'd become a critical turnover.

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by McKinney View Post
    I noticed it too, and I was cringing in fear that the refs were about to call one of them and it'd become a critical turnover.
    but he didnt move his feet or throw an elbow.

the refs were probably laughing as they saw it coming and KSU player started to pick splinter out of his face as he got off the hard wood.

I'm not trying to be difficult, it comes naturally....

Prospect
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post

the refs were probably laughing as they saw it coming and KSU player started to pick splinter out of his face as he got off the hard wood.
    Is Melvin leaning into the screen allowable by the rules, as long as there is no movement of the feet or elbows thrown? I recall him doing the same thing in the oklahoma game around the same time as he was called for the intentional foul and booted from the game.

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 819
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post

He didn't move or extend his elbows like the case when he was ejected but he did lean in a little aggresively on one occasion that I was nervous about. The refs weren't looking for it as they were accustomed to his screens by then.

Walk On
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cysmik View Post
    Is Melvin leaning into the screen allowable by the rules, as long as there is no movement of the feet or elbows thrown? I recall him doing the same thing in the oklahoma game around the same time as he was called for the intentional foul and booted from the game.
    It wasn't the leaning in--it was the elbows to the face that drew him the flagrant 2, which is an automatic ejection.

Pro
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

His ejection from the OU game wasn't because he set solid screens. That one was because he clearly set an aggressive screen to retaliate for uncalled fouls by the OU player. I was at the game, and watching the leadup to his ejection was like watching a semi skidding around on black ice: You just knew that something bad was going to happen before it was all over.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, Scotty.......but if I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key!" Carl Spackler

Prospect
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Kickedinthenuts View Post
    It wasn't the leaning in--it was the elbows to the face that drew him the flagrant 2, which is an automatic ejection.
    I understand that, I was just saying that I had seen him do it before. It seems he tends to lean into these screens more as he gets more frustrated. I'm fine with it, actually enjoy watching it. I was just wondering it this leaning into the screens is allowable by the rules?

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 819
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cysmik View Post
    I understand that, I was just saying that I had seen him do it before. It seems he tends to lean into these screens more as he gets more frustrated. I'm fine with it, actually enjoy watching it. I was just wondering it this leaning into the screens is allowable by the rules?
    It's a judgement call I believe. Players naturally lean forward when about to get hit setting a screen but you can't throw yourself at them.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 51

Some guys let their poor play on the offensive end effect their defensive effort. Babb and ejim seem to play even harder on the defensive end when their shots aren't falling, I think ejim has a hard time controlling his emotions when he's frustrated, but if he gets called for a "hard" screen once in a while, I think we can live with that.

All-Star
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 82

Quote Originally Posted by CyberJJJ View Post
    I love how Mel is stepping up of late. The great screens are part of the game that doesn't show up in the stat sheet. His rebounding is feroucious. It seems to me that he is embracing a similar role to what Stevie Johnson played on the Elite 8 team, but his added length gives him a bit more upside. The toughness of an undersized four stepping up was needed on both teams, yet both were flexible enough to hit jumpers, or even at times stray out to the 3 range. I think Mel has more upside, but was struck by the comparison.
    Agree re Stevie comparison. See my post on other former ISU players who are avatars of this year's team.

"Of course the people don't want war ... the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."
    -- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials